Wrx hatchback handling

Good morning chaps

So I know that all of the critic's gripes with the hatchback wrx were about how softly sprung it was compared with the earlier cars and I have to agree.

The body roll is pretty bad down twisty roads and if you hit a bump mid corner and the weight shifts it can feel pretty scary.

I know that coilovers are the best solution but money is tight being January so they won't be an option for awhile.

In the meantime would stiffer springs (with a very minimal drop -20mm) be fine on my standard dampers? And would they improve the handling noticeably?

Obviously stiffer ARBs will help too.

Something like these:

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/WRX__and__STI_Tanabe_Sustec_GF210_lowering_springs_/SU8_TGF140_.aspx

A local guy to me has fitted Tien springs they cost about £130 and make the car look amazing he says the handling is also improved by them.

I have been in to minds with springs as they are meant to be bad for your shocks and ware them out quicker. Obviously if your going to fit coilovers anyway I guess killing your shocks doesn't matter.

You can get some good coilovers for the hatch for about £700-£1000 so not to bad but more than I have to spend at the moment. I am thinking about going to Scoobyworld and getting a handling pack done as they fit everything and set it up for you.

I was this close to ordering some springs but have stopped myself until after the car has been remapped as that will be the decider to if I keep this car long term or upgrade in a few years.

So from what I have read putting springs on stock shocks is not the best idea however I know lots of people who do it without problems so hard to say. I would expect any lowing of the car will help with handling as the centre of gravity is closer to the road. However coilovers would give you better handling.

I am also worried about how harsh a ride you get with springs. I know coilovers are hard but depending what you get can be set softer and tightened up how you want them.

Last thing when working out cost of any suspension mods add the cost of an aliment set up as in most cases it will be out.

I remember reading about an upgraded springs and shocks pack - Bilstein and Eibach that improves things - it drops the front by 20mm but retains rear ride height which I felt would help as I found the front rose a little more than I would have liked on the STi I had. Unfortunately I didn't have the car long enough to fit the kit and comment on results.

As a compromise on cost ahead of the coilovers and as a complimentary interim step have you thought of upgrading the rear anti roll bar, also do you have a front strut brace fitted?

I will be considering a faster steering rack for my next hatch to make it easier in the twisties

food for thought...

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/SUBARU/Subaru-Performance-Upgrades/subaru_08_handling 

i had a blobeye with stock suspension and have to say it rolled and wollowed about and felt way more unstable then my hatch which has standed suspension on,i'm thinking of trying some tien springs on the hatch,only about 150 quid so i can get a strut brace as well and if they make ride 2 harsh i not spent loads on them.what ever you do either uprated springs or coilovers is going to make it a harsher ride,with coilovers you get more options with set up adjustment,with uprated springs it you get what they give you,you will also need to have them aligned to get the best out of them.

• Like 1

I've had h&r springs of for 3 month nar no problems so far definitely improves handling n looks but God damn the shocks are appalling way to soft but as a money thing at time springs were best option n show an improvement

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've had h&r springs of for 3 month nar no problems so far definitely improves handling n looks but God damn the shocks are appalling way to soft but as a money thing at time springs were best option n show an improvement

Thanks, good to know so not amazing but an improvement for the money.

I still haven't made my mind up I know what I want but as with most things what I want and what I can afford is different things.

--

I make Films for businesses and people. I also make websites.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys.

Just wanted some feedback from people who've had springs fitted and its pretty much what i had hoped for - good improvement for the money spent.

Obviously not perfect but will improve things until I can afford coilies.

http://www.scoobyparts.com/suspension/tein/tein-lowering-springs-wrx-hatch-08-12

found some Tein springs here for £125 so probably going to go with them to see me through until summer.

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 40 mm to much of a drop on standard dampers n is cause of them breaking well was on my rs megane not sure wi subaru

That is what I was saying about damaging your shocks but that said I have a friend running these springs and loves them with no problems. I would look at less of a drop myself but I tend to always take the safe less fun option.

I look't at tien 40 front 35 drop on back.guess if you drive on smooth roads lol if their such thing in uk they will be ok.if you smashin down pot hole may damage you shocks then.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Are uprated ARB's worth fitting after sorting out the springs?

I'm on standard classic suspension and recently done my rear arb. Hands down one of the best cheapest mods going. I did poly Bush and ally drop link it at the same time though.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't go much deeper than say et 40 ish on a 8.5 or wider tyre unless you wana have arch work done. I know some people do run et35 but you will get some poke can be hard to set up properly

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot guys.

Just wanted some feedback from people who've had springs fitted and its pretty much what i had hoped for - good improvement for the money spent.

Obviously not perfect but will improve things until I can afford coilies.

http://www.scoobyparts.com/suspension/tein/tein-lowering-springs-wrx-hatch-08-12

found some Tein springs here for £125 so probably going to go with them to see me through until summer.

I've heard mixed reviews of tien Spring sagging after a few months and just not realy being that good. Maybe look for an alternative brand

Cheers thankyou, also im looking at remapping its currently got a 2nd decat and typhoon air filter, factory ppp and running at approximately 257/8 ish bhp. Any suggestions for a good reputable place that can squeeze a little more bhp.