09 STi 330s heater not blowing warm...

Madjonny

Today and I'm sure on some other days the heater in my 330s has only blown cold air...

i know the heat has been working previously as I had to turn it down because it was too warm the other day... 

I had the blowers on max and the heat on 27 (Max), this morning and this evening they just didn't warm up even when the engine temp was where it should be...

any ideas?

The answer is I don't know...

I have only had it for 2 weeks, I couldn't say what has or hasn't been done previously...

the air is still blowing when I turn to hot, but it's just staying the same temperature... 

10 hours ago, salsa-king said:

take it back to where you got it from to be checked.. still under warranty (3months?)

Yeah this is what I thought... I got 6 months warranty with it, but if it's a simple easy fix that would be better, as I'd have to travel to 1hr30 mins to Wrexham again and have more time off work...

I suppose it may have to be done, I didn't pay that price for this car not to be perfect...

I'm going to check the coolant levels when it's light out and go from there...

Ok ok ok... I'm not quite sure what's going on now... 

Today after waiting a while for the windscreen to clear and de-mist, the heat did start to come through and did get very warm...

yesterday I only drove a very short distance then sat on my drive for 10 mins wondering why it wasn't warming...

do you need to be driving a few mins for the engine to warm the heating system through? 

Yeah so I'm not 100% sure I even have an issue now, may just be me being impatient and lacking knowledge on such things...

Coolant is just under the "low" marker...

So I need to get that sorted, so which coolant is it I need?

in there right now the coolant looks red ish, and I'm reading that it should be blue stuff in there...

im so confused!

The engine take about 10 mins to get to temp properly, yes really that long. Bear in mind driving it means more load on the engine, which means more heat. The cooling system is a sealed so it shouldn't be using any, if it is something is amiss.

Also it takes the oil alot longer than the water to warm up, so its goo to drive it steady for 5-10 mins before giving it large and then riving the last few miles steady to let it cool down. Leaving it sat to warm up and cool down inst ideal because it doesn't allow all the fluids to circulate and warm up evenly.

Colour wise will vary according to brand, so is a bit irrelevant

• Like 1

my hatch was blowing hot for a couple of mins then going cold,blowing hot out 1 side car and cold out the other,best way to sort it is buy a no spills funnel from eBay,then put heater to hot ,dont put fan on at anytime while doing it,fill funnel half way on header tank,start car let it idle see if any bubbles rise up in funnel,burp your top radiator pipe,let thermastat kick in a couple time,look see any more bubble,have feel see if its hot and stays hot try fan and see if its red hot then also.if that dont work it could be crap blocking somewere,get a flush in it,this work't on mine,coolant colour dont matter as long as its right coolant,mine is pink as well.you could even try flushing heater out,pump coolant threw it the wrong way sould remove any crap in it.i can say their a nightmare to get air out i found out,but with no spills funnel its easy.if none of that works then i would say do as salsa-king said take it back let them sort it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tidgy said:

Also it takes the oil alot longer than the water to warm up, so its goo to drive it steady for 5-10 mins before giving it large and then riving the last few miles steady to let it cool down. Leaving it sat to warm up and cool down inst ideal because it doesn't allow all the fluids to circulate and warm up evenly.

Colour wise will vary according to brand, so is a bit irrelevant

I was already warned about this... I do drive very slow when I start out, funny sometimes because iv had people right up my backside wanting me to hurry up, then once the temperature is up... They are never to be seen again

I read that I should only be using Subaru long life coolant... Which is blue apparently...

1 hour ago, aucky said:

coolant colour dont matter as long as its right coolant,mine is pink aswell

1 hour ago, aucky said:

Did you put it in? What brand is it?

51 minutes ago, aucky said:

Madjonny yes i put it in i use this mate http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5-litres  You can use non-Subaru brands too, but it needs to be non-silicate, non-phosphate and non-amine type.

Thanks! Very helpful...

50 minutes ago, stants said:

If you can get hold of the long life stuff use that but any o.a.t coolant will do just make sure you flush out the system 1st

I'll try and see if I can locate some of this... If not I'll use what Aucky suggested...

In in the meantime, should I just bring it over the low marker with plain water?

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeLawrence said:

Make sure when you read the coolant level, the engine is up to temp- like everything, coolant expands when it gets hot so will usually read lower than 'full' when cold.. Having said that don't try to top up while still hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that case, maybe it's not low... I'll check again, thanks...

I tell you what, I wouldn't get anywhere in life without forums!

• Like 2

Today I did my commute, only short 25 minutes drive... when I got home I noticed the temperature gauge was just about to go into the H section! Is this a problem? Or am I just paranoid?

Could this be related to the previous heater problem?

i love this car but it's stressing me out already!

Same journey just now, and as soon as it was warm I was giving it some all the way here and everything is perfect... 

Temp gauge right in the middle where it should be...

being a Subaru owner is a lot more stressful than I had imagined!

May be stressfull but worth it.when the car cools down havve a look in the header tank see if coolant is in their.if not then probly wants air bleeding out the system.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

My car was leaking drinking coolant suspected head gasket failure, I've had a full engine rebuild, and it turned out to be the rad lol ( I did have a broken ringland too tho) seaping but only occasionally no real pattern to the loss.. Best thing to do is a sniff test if you suspect the gasket has failed .

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There was an airlock, we got a load of air bubbles coming out of it when we truer to burp it... Think we sorted it...

Went for a drive and was fine, still we stopped to have a look at everything and my dad opened the radiator cap whilst it was red hot... So it blew it's load everywhere, and we had to get just plain water from the country pub we pulled up at... So we burped it again...

seems fine now, and there seems a lot more fluid in the pipes than when we first have them a squeeze (it seemed like mostly air, minimal fluids), but now the ratio of water and coolant will be way off so we are going to drop it and redo it all in the morning...

1 hour ago, kershaw-330s said:

My car was leaking drinking coolant suspected head gasket failure, I've had a full engine rebuild, and it turned out to be the rad lol ( I did have a broken ringland too tho) seaping but only occasionally no real pattern to the loss.. Best thing to do is a sniff test if you suspect the gasket has failed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that!

but will certainly keep an eye out...

hey, are you Kersh187 on Instagram?