Subaru WRX Tuning & Advice

DaveyC

Hi All, Just recently got my first scooby. its a blobeye 2003. Always wanted one and finally decided to get one. Ive always had renaultsports so bit of a change for me.

Previously just sold my megane 225 which was running 272hp i thought jumping into the scooby would feel a lot quicker but it doesnt not at top end, off the line obviously its a lot quicker with the 4 wheel drive.

my scooby has got the prodrive pack and was told running between 260hp and 280hp, have receipt from turbo monkey for £150 remap (which seems insanely cheap which might be part of the problem!)

From what i can tell a lot of HP numbers flying round with no real proof. When i had the megane mapped it was on a rolling road with full print out with a very respected tuner.

I want the same kind of thing again on this as i reckon its probably running about 240hp max (at a guess) Obviously the car is best part of 500kg heavier than what im used to and that may be deceiving when stepping on the loud pedal in the feeling of it not being quick when maybe it is.

Car has got panel filter and hks downpipe and ive just fitted a vortex afterburner backbox. Im looking at getting a centre pipe to replace the second cat.(will this turn the engine light on?)

Car has recently had new samco coolant hoses oil change and new spark plugs (although i dont know whether the spark plugs were the uprated ones being PFR7B) 

Once this is done i wanted to check power on a dyno, nearest one to me is RCM in Hinckley, i want a base to see where i am power wise before any more modding.

Im guessing it needs a map adjustment running the decat aswell in place if i get the centre pipe changed? (can anyone advise how much louder would it be with the decat in place of centre pipe?)

Welcome to the club!

The centre pipe and the cat-pipe are two separate pieces. Fitting a non-resonated centre section will increase the volume significantly, removing the cat-pipe will not make it louder, but will make the burble more distinctive. As long as you re-install the O2 sensor no light should come on and a remap tweak won't be necessary for it, but from the sounds of it... you may need a map tweak anyway!

Edit: As for top end power, yeh the TD04 turbos do run out of puff at the top end as they are relatively small turbos

thanks for the quick reply. ah ok i though the centre pipe was inclusive of the cat.

I think then ive got 3 inch hks dowpipe that seems to get smaller at the end i think then to the 2.5 inch centre pipe then cat then rear box (the vortex)

so im slightly confused do i replace the centre pipe and leave the cat part in place or get 1 pipe to remove the centre plus cat?

I think the centre cat is nearer the rear box end?

my reason for replacing the centre pipe is towards the end where the gaskets are joining with the rear box are a little mishapen so im thinking a new pipe would help

Just now, DaveyC said:

Potentially yes... best thing to do is if you can, jack your car up and take some pictures of your exhaust underneath... will then know exactly what you need!

I've seen the company advertise on here but I'm unsure if they're a sponsor of the club (so no offence intended)

I personally wouldn't touch a cheap new turbo ,as it can be very costly if it fails (possible engine rebuild ) and they rarely make good reliable power .

If you've got a 2ltr a 20g would be quite laggy . A genuine tdo5 16 g will make 350hp with supporting mods or a vf34 for better spool and 330hp

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

nope stay away from them, fail to fast, been there done that on my 200sx the best low cost ones ive seen with good reveiws are :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinugawa-Turbocharger-SUBARU-IMPREZA-STi-TD05H-18G-8cm-with-3-Anti-Surge-Cover-/110871499945?fits=Model%3AImpreza&hash=item19d074d4a9:g:kI0AAOSwqYBWoY3X

but then your not far priced from a known make

Tried to fit my centre pipe but didnt fit as hks downpipe is different fitting so i would have to buy matching downpipe so ill have a think.

felt like my clutch was slipping a bit in fifth gear but then after doing it a couple of times it didnt do it for the rest of the day. So hmm may have to look to get this changed firstly.

im thinking my car is running between 260-280hp what clutch would be best and where to fit in east midlands?

im thinking stage 1 clutch should be ok?

1 hour ago, DaveyC said:

Tried to fit my centre pipe but didnt fit as hks downpipe is different fitting so i would have to buy matching downpipe so ill have a think.

felt like my clutch was slipping a bit in fifth gear but then after doing it a couple of times it didnt do it for the rest of the day. So hmm may have to look to get this changed firstly.

im thinking my car is running between 260-280hp what clutch would be best and where to fit in east midlands?

im thinking stage 1 clutch should be ok?

What kind of fitting is it? Considering your standard centre pipe fit the HKS downpipe you shouldn't have issues with your aftermarket one!