Ultimate Fuel is it worht using or not.

tom30

Right throwing this out for any response. Is it worth using the likes of BP Ultimate,( this is all we have over here as we don't have any Shell Garages) both petrol and diesel. I have been using it in my diesel outback and have notice a bit of difference. Was wondering what others think.  I do feel a better response from engine and more miles than using regular diesel.

I'm not so sure on the diesel but petrol is a must have for turbo engines. The higher octane makes the fuel more stable under high compression and higher levels of heat. If you use a lower octane fuel you may find the engine gets detonation in the chambers and the ecu will !Removed! the timing at the expense of a little power.

We can't even use RE-tard without being censored 😖 not cool.

I noticed an increase in mpg and a little more 'ommph' when I used to use it in my van, unfortunately the penny punchers at head office made me revert to regular when they realised it cost 10p more a litre

When I first picked up my '09 Diesel Outback back in October I used BP Ultimate. After about a month I switched to Shell Nitro+. I'm not sure I gave the BP stuff enough time to notice a difference (only 2 or 3 tanks). I switched because of the alleged increased lubricity from Shell (Source: HonestJohn).

Using the Shell stuff the smoothness, smokiness and pokiness have all been gradually improving. It recently went to a Subaru main dealer for a service and the mechanic said it was the smoothest one he's heard running.

It was when the car was being serviced that the mechanic asked, when I told him what I ran it on, if it ever runs lumpy at idle. I said it did and he advised me that it was the ECU recalibrating the injection timing and I should leave it to it. Sure enough, next time it happened I left it running for a minute or so and then it smoothed out. It's been even better since then.

I have not, however, ever filled it on standard diesel, so I can't make comparisons really. It may have improved in the way it has even if it was on normal fuel. Maybe it was just in a poor way when I bought it.

I have used BP Ultimate in my '01 Defender TD5. Although she ran markedly better on it, it's an unfair comparison because before that she only ran on the crappy diesel that's available in the Middle East.

I use Tesco Momentum in mine (petrol) - gained an extra 1 or 2 mpg but use it mainly because it makes the engine run so smoothly and quietly - noticeably more so than your standard unleaded

V power seems to give me more mpg but tesco is on my doorstep. Did a run down to devon beginning of the month (360 miles each way) the run down on tesco99 i did 25.66 mpg all motorway.

while i was down there it was run only on v power and on the drive home i got 28.76 mpg. I use fuelly to keep track of my mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/impreza/2006/MATMIDGLEY/325897

If you scroll down to the log book the 2/4/16 was tesco99 after that was v power and kept getting new mpg records

Within Northern Ireland we don't have any Shell garages any more. So I can only use BP Ultimate. I do find I get more mpg and it runs smoother and punchier. Have to fill up again so I might put in regular diesel and see if any difference. If so I think I may just keep running on the Ultimate.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - that is what I ran my STI on and you could tell a difference, I think the chap who had it before us was running it on 95 ron, halfway through the first full tank of vPower and it showed, better throttle response as well as improved mpg