What did you do to your XV today???

Dug

Saw this on another Subaru forum and thought I would start one here :-)

First thing I did this weekend was fit my new Rally Armor mud flaps, finally arrived :-)

Next up was Plastidip the front grill and rear logos. I don't like the chrome it does nothing for me and to be honest looks out of place as there is no other on the car

Finally washed and polished :-)

20160504_185541_resize.jpg

20160504_185620_resize.jpg

20160504_185627_resize.jpg

20160508_144656_resize.jpg

20160508_144706_resize.jpg

20160508_144713_resize.jpg

20160508_144728_resize.jpg

20160508_144735_resize.jpg

20160508_160033_resize.jpg

20160508_160050_resize.jpg

it looks great on white car :-)

it's easy, you do it yourself :-)

I can send you step by step instructions to remove your grill and how to separate parts

you buy a can of plastidip ( liquid plastic ) and spray youself :-)

if I can do it lol

not real tuning lol more improvement

it deffo makes car look better and not in a Halfords way, there is no other chrome on car  in my view grill looks odd and out of place inchrome

you should do it and then see if she spots it lol

the good thing about plastiip is it is totally removable and leave no trace so grill will be back chrome if you don't like it :-)

not real tuning lol more improvement

it deffo makes car look better and not in a Halfords way, there is no other chrome on car  in my view grill looks odd and out of place inchrome

you should do it and then see if she spots it lol

the good thing about plastiip is it is totally removable and leave no trace so grill will be back chrome if you don't like it :-)

Did you spray everything on the car or take it off?

Showed the wife and she didn't say no, looked on YouTube and it looks pretty straight forward.

We're the badges on the back easy to do?

Basically I'm after the "how to" guide

I will write up something for you to follow tomorrow :-)

its easy enough to do, you can mask up the front grill and spray it on the car but it's nearly just as quick to remove grill and separate parts and then spray them for a much better job

as for the back again simple enough mask up spray and remove access

http://www.plastidip.com/    

got mine here

http://matt-pack.co.uk/

Hi Dc

Have a read on this post and it will tell you how simple it is to remove grill also watch video

http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/subaru-xv-diy-how-tos-tsb/82050-removing-grille-keeping-fender-pictures.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDe2xGbcpLc

now watch this video which shows how to separate chrome parts from grill so you can paint them

when you have grill off you will see easy how it seperates though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybnJq9oxp68

DO not do the last bit rubbing down / sanding only if you are spraying in real paint ( permanent )

Once you have the two chrome parts separated

Fully clean with alcohol or white spirits and let dry to get rid of all grease

Then just spray up with plastidip, 1st light coat then about another 3/4 coats to build up ( loads of vids on youtube how too )

Let it all dry and the reassemble J

If at a later date you don’t like or want to make standard again it just peels straight off

As for the back

Mask around the letters about 1” away clean, spray up several coats and let it dry

Then when fully dry carefully remove tape and start to peel away

You will find it peels away leaving the letters left black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_ULUKno5w

hope this is of use to you

have to say it is well worth doing and as it is fully removable leaving stock in my view a no brainer with nothing to loose J

a big thanks to other owners and forums for info and videos :-)

Dug

As what I've done today,

I've washed her using 2 bucket method, clay clothed her down all over, used Meguiares Polish, one coat of Meguiares canuba wax, final cost of Meguiares ultimate wax, finished up with Meguiares plastic trim treatment and tyre black. Touched up a couple of stone chips on the bumper to, looks like new now.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

That sounds like my clean program too lol different stuff though as I use sonax products but that level now and again always brings great results and will prolong the car

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

No issues when painting with plastidip as on the video

It peels off and if you get over spray it just polishes away with a microfiber cloth due to it been vinyl

I had no issues at all 😆

That sounds like my clean program too lol different stuff though as I use sonax products but that level now and again always brings great results and will prolong the car

I don't think there's much difference really with the high end products, the only reason really I use Meguiars is because I like the smell and I get 15% off at Halfrauds because of this club.

No issues when painting with plastidip as on the video

It peels off and if you get over spray it just polishes away with a microfiber cloth due to it been vinyl

I had no issues at all [emoji38]

I'm going for it, ordered a can of plasti dip Matt black, bought some automotive masking tape and some pre paint preparation wipes. When the paint arrives I'm going to bite the bullet!

I like the look of yours. I hope mine cones out ok. Plasti dip had some really good how to vids on YouTube

When I looked at the grille I noticed a big stone must have hit it and put a big mark on it, I'll be smoothing that and using the plasti dip to cover it, I'll be looking permanently though I think

Interesting actually, I saw more Lamborghinis, more Porsche and more Rolls Royce than I saw Subaru XV on the way home and only 3 subaru at all. Saw 2 Lambos, 1 Rolls and countless Porsche.

Also go my new badges

e4318ead2b05ea9d9707575b8467d09b.jpg