What did you do to your XV today???

Dug

Thank you SebP10. I appreciate it. I've watched both clips on replacing the spark plugs on the XV and it seems the left side rear plug is the most difficult. ( That's Near Side to you. ;>)  )
It does however mean I have to buy a 'flexible' ratchet thingy and 1 x 3 inch extension and 2 x 1 inch extensions to make life easier. (no biggie ! )
Thanks. I need to reduce my next service interval's cost of upwards of R 6 000.00 to R 8 000.00 or £ 263.00 to £ 350.00   (105 000 kms) ;>)

All sounds very interesting.  I'd not considered how difficult it might be to change spark plugs as the car is under warranty (assuming spark plugs are covered?).  It does sounds like a real pain in the a**e?

• 2 months later...

Managed to get an indicated 40 mph (60 limit) at the apex (no crossing of the white lines) on the only fun corner on my commute 😁 (it's a K-right, with a very, very slight camber.)

Wasn't trying too hard, just thought I'd see what she could do. Still on the OE Geolanders. Only 3 mph less than the Levorg has managed, too 🤔

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After many, many months of general procrastination I finally got my BTM engaged and swapped the wheels from front to rear on both sides, despite a 3t jack failure (lifted enough to get it on stands but then refused to lift to remove the stands; new seals or skip for that, then!)

After managing to get the height on a 2t jack (not easy with almost 9" of ground clearance) the car is now on charge for more elastictrickery as it's been a little sluggish starting recently.

It was a job that I've needed to do for a long time, but without a spare wheel it's a pain in the whatnot! Not made easier with a sloping drive, either.

I took it to work on the 24th and it didn't sound healthy when cranking in the morning. I left it idling for 5 mins or so to clear the fog (way more than mist) from the windscreen, but my commute, even taking the scenic / fun route, is under 9 miles so it still didn't get a good charge, so was still grumpy on the 28th.

However the Optimate is now green, so 50-odd hours @ 530 mA (600 mA charge less the 70 mA drain) have topped it up nicely. I'll swap the cars over later so the Levorg can have some 100% renewable electricty too (well, it is according to the recent adverts for our energy supplier anyway!)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Washed and thoroughly polished with Chemical Guys 'white light' hybrid premium gloss enhancer and sealant Amazing result with the pearlescent really popping. There were a couple of tiny stone chips on the front and I didn't have a touch up kit so I then had a 'lightbulb moment' My wifes pearlescent white Fiat 50 0i s a slightly different colour so that was no use.

In a box in the garage I keep touch up kits from cars I've previously owned . Hurrah! The Subaru is exactly the same pearlescent white as Lexus use . Pefect match and no sign of chips until you get about 3 inches away.

All in all a good result.

In the past I've always used Meguiars APC, but it is rather pungent.

Recently I bought some Chemical Guys Nonsense APC which you can either dilute 20 to 1 or for stubborn marks use neat.

The rain gutter grooves were quite dirty so neat nonsense applied with an artists brush soon shifted the muck.

I have no connection with Chemical Guys but a lot of their products are exceptionally good.

The only disappointment I've had was a synthetic sealer I bought on salel a month ago having thought I would try something different from Black Light which I've used for many years. One trip to the hand car wash and all the gloss was stripped off (supposed to last a year). Never had issue with Black Light so clearly that is why the product was on sale .....

• 2 months later...

Filled up with petrol today after a busy day on Wednesday where the XV took a trip to Exmoor and some very narrow and steep lanes we know there. Very impressed with the last tankful of petrol - 38.10 over 254 miles brim to brim.

The trip computer showed an optimistic 41mpg 

I have started using premium unleaded this week as our local pumps are all E10 and I'm a bit concerned about the long term effect on engines.

Car seems peppier on the 99 octane so we'll see how it goes...

Whilst I’ve moved onto RAV4 PHEV it’s still interesting to see what’s going on it XV land, not much looking at the postings? For the XV that’s pretty good I’d say. I always found the trip computer best part of 10% optimistic. You sound like your enjoying the car and that’s got to be a positive.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Whilst I’ve moved onto RAV4 PHEV it’s still interesting to see what’s going on it XV land, not much looking at the postings? For the XV that’s pretty good I’d say. I always found the trip computer best part of 10% optimistic. You sound like your enjoying the car and that’s got to be a positive.

How do you find the RAV4? I've now got a Corolla sport touring for a work car at the moment, (still got the orange XV), it's the 2.0 hybrid so no plug in and I get around 50mpg, it's really not as great as I'd expect. But generally a very OK car, not exciting but comfortable and quiet, with quite a lot of space for people and luggage. As a company car it makes sense to use it as the main vehicle so the XV only does a couple trips a week. One thing I have noticed is how heavy / slow the XV steering is in comparison. 

I have the RAV4 PHEV 302hp, 18.1 KWh Battery so about 45 to 50 miles range on EV. Today I did a trip from Derbyshire to Bedfordshire mainly M1 (100miles) all at speed limits. EV 44miles the rest at 57mpg, the HEV mode works really well very quiet engine (2.5ltr Atkinson Cycle) 0-60mph in 5.7 secs. It’s heavy but handles really well, clever engine management with an app to precondition the cabin, and built in charger 240v or Type2, cables provided. Easy to set the leaving time on the app and precondition set to on and the car is ready with a full charge and the energy used to heat or cool the car taken from the charger not the on board traction Battery. It’s not cheap to be sure but I really love to drive this car. If it’s a company car then it’s a steal  as the tax is based on the WLTP at 22gms, I’m a private buyer.

The let down is the in built Head Unit, somewhat clunky by modern standards but I use Android Auto/Waze and it’s bullet proof unlike the XV, sometimes I had issues with it after phone app updates.

Nothing’s perfect but right now I’d choose the same again.

The Hybrid version is also a very good buy, much cheaper cash outlay and good economics.

The Toyota Owners Forum is very active and there is a good level of friendly. Hope that helps?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Today I performed a free map update. Nothing special in that, maybe. However, I bought this 2018 XV 3 weeks ago and it is out of warranty. According to the update site, the subscription expired in 2022. (That's 1 year post warranty.) For the life of me, I could not find a way of buying a new subscription. A quick communication with Subaru UK confirmed there was an issue, but I should keep trying - not much chance I think.

Couple of days ago I get an email advising that there is a new update available and I can download it for free!!! 🙂  But, future updates will need payment.

My subscription has actually been "extended" until June. Anyway on to the update ......

Car needs to be running - DEAD CAR! Not wishing to play the hero (and car has a limited warranty) I called warranty providers service which turns out to be the AA. Diagnosis is a flat Battery. After some work with the booster box (didn't work) and the booster cables (worked after a fashion) car was started. AA's opinion is that the Battery is still OK as it was showing 58 amp charge rate from the alternator initially.

I also learnt that you can't leave these cars unlocked!! Significant parasitic drain even with everything else off.

Anyway, put the Battery on charge for a while and had lunch. Then ran the engine and installed the update without issue.

Back to the charger if the rain stops and also dig out my solar panel.