What did you do to your XV today???

Dug

Finally got tired of the error messages and the fact it had started making a funny noise. Wife's car has been problematic from day one so chopped it in for an identical one but a 66 plate. Hopefully she'll have a bit more luck with this one.

• Like 3

Good luck with the new XV Dogconker. Is is a European 6 Diesel?

I just changed the oil and filter on mine at 3500 miles.  

Bought the oil and fikter from main dealer with receipt to keep good on warranty, had to take my own containers but it worked out about £30/5Litres which I thought was quite reasonable.

Changed the rear brake pads on the XV yesterday as one side had got down to the metal! :ohmy: 40,000 miles and I think it was on the original pads. (I naively thought the garage would have changed them when we bought the car at 34,000 miles)

Really easy to do, such a joy working on a car with next to zero rust, didn't even need to take the breaker bar out the toolbox!
No awkward electronics, 2 bolts, re grease and  just a simple wind back.

I think the rear pads are fairly common over the Subaru Range, so they are not so hard to come by which is nice. not sure about disks though.

The discs are probably a common platform item, one thing modern car manufacturers tend to do for cost / economy of scale / standardisation etc is have a single platform across 3 or 4 cars with just the top bit looking different

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2017 at 5:14 PM, Aberdeen Chris said:

Good luck with the new XV Dogconker. Is is a European 6 Diesel?

I just changed the oil and filter on mine at 3500 miles.  

Bought the oil and fikter from main dealer with receipt to keep good on warranty, had to take my own containers but it worked out about £30/5Litres which I thought was quite reasonable.

Yes, seems more efficient and much quieter engine than mine. I'll hang on to mine until the new facelift model comes out. Looks quite smart I think

Had a large stone cone and hit my grille, damaged my vinyl coating on the chrome so today I'm respraying the grille. Good news is as it should, the old vinyl peeled off nice and easily and cleanly. Another couple of coats and I'll be ready to clear off the surplus and itll be job done.

IMG_3849.JPG

Bought a front plastic cheap number plate from Halfords, as the Dibbles  are not happy with my bent metal one - a danger to pedestrians!! Still no joy from lorry insurance, as driver not reported it, so no liability admitted. Had this once before - no damage to lorry, so accident never happened! Also bit annoyed that original number plate screws hardly biting, and tape used to hold in place. Still, saves drilling holes in new plate, and will stick it on!

Stuck the new plate on, and not fallen off yet! Spot on for central fitting, but put it a bit low, but can sort that when the damage is repaired. The holes in the bumper were factory moulded, and seem to have a wire coil inserted to grip the securing screws for the number plate, and one has gone walkies, hence dealer used a bit of tape on that side! More I look at it, the more I reckon I can sort the bumper with a good machine polish!

• 3 weeks later...

Spent Saturday having a good clean of the car, and trying to polish out some of the minor scratches that come from driving down country lanes and parking in supermarket car parks.

I was giving the door jams a wipe down and noticed a section of bubbling paint. Car is a 2013 model.

Has anyone else had any issues with the paint in this area? or had any paintwork sorted under warranty?

I'm fully signed off on the body and paintwork checks on the car so hoping that if it turns into an issue it should be sorted relatively easily?

XV front door.jpg

12 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

Spent Saturday having a good clean of the car, and trying to polish out some of the minor scratches that come from driving down country lanes and parking in supermarket car parks.

I was giving the door jams a wipe down and noticed a section of bubbling paint. Car is a 2013 model.

Has anyone else had any issues with the paint in this area? or had any paintwork sorted under warranty?

I'm fully signed off on the body and paintwork checks on the car so hoping that if it turns into an issue it should be sorted relatively easily?

XV front door.jpg

No but I had some very light corrosion appear under the bonnet and Subaru just picked up the tab fine.  It was where they'd pushed the rubber stops for the bonnet in, obviously damaged the paint. No quibbles from them at all

• 2 weeks later...

Was behind a Silver XV today near cairn o mount in Aberdeen, reg ??66 MMO looking good in Silver with big mud flaps and and a dog guard. Anyone on here? I was in the works black VW Passat. (Yawn)

• 2 weeks later...

Found out what the wee circles with 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 on the speedo are for. (Maximum speed in each gear)

Also found out that there is a symbol that looks like a cog/gear with an arrow in it.

I was coming down a fast 60mph road and needed to turn left onto a very small lane so went from 5th gear into 2nd while braking hard (Clutch was still in at this point) and all hell broke loose, beeping and flashing basically telling me not to be an idiot and not to release the clutch, then it stopped as soon as my speed dropped past the circled 2 on the speedo.

Interesting feature I suppose it stops you blowing the engine up by mistake, as long as you know what its beeping at you for.

• 3 weeks later...

Second service carried out today - no problems found, naturally! Dealer must have done something though, as the central display now shows round clock with hands and average mpg, where it had average mpg, miles to empty, digi clock and temp before. Had a look in manual, and baffled - will get neighbour's 10 year old to program it for me! Still no go on accident damage repair from third party insurance, so will leave it till PCP is almost up, and get it sorted with any other blemishes, so don't get hammered for it later.

Forgot to say, as first three services carried out free (paid for by Subaru as part of the deal), interested to see this service saved me £230+. Downside is that if I get a satnav update, it will cost over £350! Dealer could not tell me date of latest update, so will not bother if it is the same as already in there.

No, it's the one above the radio/satnav, with the up/down/enter button. So many options and functions, from basic to setting next service date and granny's birthday, that I lost the will to live. Will sit down with a glass of something potent, write it down, in order, from the handbook, and work through it on the car another day!

• 5 weeks later...

Just received spam email advertising Chips Away's services.

In March last year we found that the front bumper on the XV had been scratched (see picture below), not sure how it happened.

Chips Away couldn't repair it as it's pearlescent paint, got a local body shop to it instead.

On another note, had the windscreen replaced, a very small, almost invisible chip, right above the windscreen wiper defroster element developed into a crack on the last frosty morning of this year.

RIMG0194.JPG

Nasty wee scratch.

I got a quart if the pearlescent paint in 2k and the base cost from Dingbro, and have already had to touch in a paint chip.

It's worth it keeping on top of paintwork.

May I ask, was it expensive at the paint shop to get your bumper re-spray ?

On 6/15/2017 at 9:48 AM, Aberdeen Chris said:

Nasty wee scratch.

I got a quart if the pearlescent paint in 2k and the base cost from Dingbro, and have already had to touch in a paint chip.

It's worth it keeping on top of paintwork.

May I ask, was it expensive at the paint shop to get your bumper re-spray ?

Hi Chris

Was quite nasty, fairly deep scratches in the plastic bumper, possibly done whilst parked in supermarket car park.

Think it cost about £140.00 to put right, can't see where the scratch was. Only downside was having to get car to body shop and leave it there for a day.