Low oil level light but oil is fine

marcothio

Definitely the oil level light. It went off today after driving 10m, stopping the engine and then turning it on again. Checked oil levels again this evening and they are 100% OK.

The only thing that I can think off is that the engine wasn't warm when the light came on and I didn't drive 10-15 to warm it up (went for fuel). When I check the oil levels on a cold engine, oil levels are really low. My thought is that my oil level sensor has a bug and thinks sometimes the oil level is low but forgets the engine is still warming up? Not sure as this makes any sense, but will discuss this with the dealer this week.

There's a known fault with the XV that the oil light gives false warnings sometimes our dealer told us about it.  However,   It's always worth assuming the worst,  don't want to assume it's just a sensor only to find out your engine is at risk because it's something more serious. 

But my wife had the same thing. You can reset the oil light if it comes on which we did but ours didn't turn off, if it's oil pressure if it resets it'll come back on again, but ours was just a stubborn sensor. 

Worth getting it checked out though by the dealers.

This Just happened to our XV on Sunday, Girlfriend was driving it back from the lakes with the caravan, I bricked myself after all the messing id done with the oil previously but checked the dipstick after letting it sit for 10 mins and it was bang on the F mark. Glad its happened to a few other people.

I was thinking of doing an oil service to make sure that its good and clean in case this is causing the warning light.

27 minutes ago, Dogconker said:

You'll probably need to get the light reset, or check it isn't anything sinister. After all, it may be a genuine indication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think it came back on after the car was "Power Cycled" I'll try and get a check when I get home, but as she is on night shifts at the moment we are as the phrase goes - Like passing ships in the night?

Thanks everybody for the comments, it is a bit of a relief to know that it's something common (unfortunately). I am bringing the XV for a service this weekend (62K) and have pointed out the flaw to the dealer. A faulty sensor would make sense and I will update you with any findings. 

• 2 weeks later...

My low level oil light came on again today, I'd driven about 1/3 of a mile then got stuck at a traffic light, I thought I would be there for a while so turned the engine off, lights changed fairly quickly, (maybe 30 seconds) on restarting the car the light came on. I drove about another 1 +1/2 miles and stopped for diesel, checked the oil level and it was just below full. Light stayed on till I got home. Parked had my dinner the went outside and started the car the light had gone off. Anyway, I wonder if it's the short on off on that is causing the light, maybe turning it off when the oil has drained from the pan but hasn't fully circulated through the block? Causing the sensors to read an empty pan? Have other people had the light come on after similar short periods of start stop driving?

Yes, I think you are on to something as it happened to me whilst driving very short distances (the engine was not heated up fully yet). At the dealer, they did not find any faults and could not explain this error. As long as the oil levels are OK (by manual measurement), I guess there is no great danger, but it does annoy me nevertheless. Maybe we should write to Subaru UK about this?

I already have, but it wouldn't take them long to deternine if yours is coked.

i run minevup the motorway once s week around 65mph in third for about 15mins to force s DPF regen, then I drive it back home like I stole it to blow it out make sure it's all clear, not had any trouble with mine and my wife's has been fine since she started doing the same.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just as well it's  not a BMW, they seem to have removed the dip stick completely leaving no manual way to check the level lol.

The diesal XV takes about 5.9L of oil which is rather a lot, so must take longer to reach normal operating temperature, even when the engine cold light has gone out the oil still needs longer to get up to normal temperature. 

Chris

• 3 years later...

Old thread I know but my red oil light is on. I changed the oil pressure sensor and it stayed on. Only lights up under 1500rpms; turns off while driving. Dealer tested and said the oil level sensor is bad. Replacement will be US$750 after dropping exhaust and oil pan. Obviously mostly labor as the part is listed at US$180. 

I won’t pay that much to make a light turn off. Does anyone know how to bypass the circuit? I was thinking of clipping the wire and wiring in a resistor to fool the circuit. Anyone think that would work? 

• 3 weeks later...