Oil filter ?

Piggysniffer

Right peeps, what oil filters are we supposed to use, I just get a pattern one when I buy the oil, I'm hearing that we should only use the Subaru blue ones, but on googling that fact there are a lot of people saying absolutely don't use the Subaru ones as they are awful

3 hours ago, Jamie_uk said:

I got the hks one because it has a magnet in and said higher oilflow. Whether it's any good I have no idea won't find out till I have a problem or do my next oil change 

they are amazing. i had one on my closed deck build in my bug last service. 

47 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

I normally buy a Mahle oil filter from opie oils with my oil and sump plug washer .(Mahle make quality forged pistons so I assume they're capable of making a filter)

I did try a k&n oil filter once but didn't see any difference in pressure or temps just cost me a extra tenner

Amazon have k&n filters for less than 9 quid... do they have some sort of super duper one?

I bought a oversized (and over priced by the sounds of it lol ) k& n filter with a "easy to remove" nut on the bottom .

Dunno if it the same 1 that you've found ,as it was about 4 yrs ago and about £15

P.s I forgot to mention that the only reason I bought it was because there was a load of fake or faulty subaru ones on the market at the time . The Mahle one's seem to work fine on mine but I do 4 k changes anyways

27 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

I bought a oversized (and over priced by the sounds of it lol ) k& n filter with a "easy to remove" nut on the bottom .

Dunno if it the same 1 that you've found ,as it was about 4 yrs ago and about £15

P.s I forgot to mention that the only reason I bought it was because there was a load of fake or faulty subaru ones on the market at the time . The Mahle one's seem to work fine on mine but I do 4 k changes anyways

Ah ok... i've got a k&n one, it has the nut thing on the bottom... was gonna replace my filter when i was doing my rocker cover gasket but i didn't have anything to remove the old filter so didn't bother... it was only 500 miles old anyway

I wouldn't recommend K&N oil filters - !Removed!!

Usually OEM must be the BEST ones! Some German manufacturers can make quality filters as well. But overall we need to collect some cash, buy all the different filters - cut them and see what's inside only then we can decide which one is the best to buy.

If magnet REALLY is a big improvement for you, why don't you brake an old speaker, get a magnet from there and stick it to your oil filter? Every oil filter is made of metal and a massive magnet next to it will make the whole filter magnetic as well. Alternatively you can disassemble a faulty hard drive - they have mega strong magnets inside and old automatic gearboxes if you drop a pan there will be a few small magnets as well -)