First impressions

Hi all, I'm Matt from the West Midlands and have just purchased a 2010 WRX-S in WR blue. 

The car is better than I expected (after changing the budget tyres it came with)! All around it feels like a 'do anything' car and I couldn't be happier. The car is completely standard apart from the pro-drive pack that comes on the S model. 

My first modification will be a new back box - nothing too loud but something with a little nicer note than the standard system (suggestions will be appreciated). 

Also if anyone has suggestions for good roads in the west midlands where you can really push one of these on or off-road?

Thanks,

- Matt

Welcome Matt. Nice to have another hatch owner on the site 👍 Get some photos up of the new ride! Apart from getting a bit more noise you got other plans for the motor or you going to be keeping it fairly standard?

Wotcha and welcome - depends where in WM you are but head out towards Wales, Leominster, Hereford way, go early doors and you will find some great twisty A roads.

Or take a day trip to the coast Barmouth / Aberystwyth A470 / A44 via Rhaydar both have potential

9 hours ago, GeoffLeggy said:

Welcome Matt!

Good choice of motor and glad to hear your so pleased 😁 

What tyres did you fit out of interest? 

A fellow hatch owner will help with the exhaust. 

Thanks! I went for Dunlop SP Sport Maxx as they were the most cost effective option on black circles... £90 each fitted - not to bad IMO

7 hours ago, DDoc said:

Welcome Matt. Nice to have another hatch owner on the site 👍 Get some photos up of the new ride! Apart from getting a bit more noise you got other plans for the motor or you going to be keeping it fairly standard?

Thanks, I will upload some pictures this weekend after it's had a wash! 

Well I was reading about the pro drive map being quite lumpy on it's delivery in colder weather, giving a very slight 'jerky feeling' as you go through the revs... so maybe a new custom map is in order - but if I do that I may as well upgrade the inter cooler/ intake and full exhaust :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Matt91uk said:

Thanks, I will upload some pictures this weekend after it's had a wash! 

Well I was reading about the pro drive map being quite lumpy on it's delivery in colder weather, giving a very slight 'jerky feeling' as you go through the revs... so maybe a new custom map is in order - but if I do that I may as well upgrade the inter cooler/ intake and full exhaust :rolleyes:

Yeah I am in the same camp as you, will be getting a custom map this spring hopefully. Any idea what intercooler and intake route your going to go down? Don't think I'll be changing the intercooler but I've got a Perrin intake waiting to go on. I like the look of the invidia exhausts but not had one so can't actually comment. The N1 is not quite though. There is a quad exit q300 that's quiter but would require you to cut bumper. I'm now thinking of getting a nice downpipe with sports cat before map but not to sure. Need to ask on here and see what the consensus is. 

21 minutes ago, DDoc said:

Yeah I am in the same camp as you, will be getting a custom map this spring hopefully. Any idea what intercooler and intake route your going to go down? Don't think I'll be changing the intercooler but I've got a Perrin intake waiting to go on. I like the look of the invidia exhausts but not had one so can't actually comment. The N1 is not quite though. There is a quad exit q300 that's quiter but would require you to cut bumper. I'm now thinking of getting a nice downpipe with sports cat before map but not to sure. Need to ask on here and see what the consensus is. 

I was just looking at replacing the top mount with something more efficient rather than moving to a front mount, the only one I've looked at so far is the Mishimoto top mount which is around £550. With regards to the quad exit... can't you buy the rear diffuser off an STi and fit that instead of cutting the original? 

Sports cat sounds like a sensible next step, however i'm not familiar with these engines so i'm not sure whether it's a good move or won't make much difference!

What other mods has yours got?

I was looking at the process west verticooler, but it's rather pricey and can't find a uk distributer. Not actually sure if the sti diffuser will work, think the bumper on sti is wider, but not 100% sure, have just seen a few folk cutting theirs to get it to fit. Mine is standard in the engine/power department except mid section. Hopefully grab a few bits and pieces next month. It's got up-rated anti roll bars and endlinks, set of 4 pot gold  brembos on the front and bigger 18x8" prodrive alloys

On 1/12/2017 at 2:17 PM, DDoc said:

I was looking at the process west verticooler, but it's rather pricey and can't find a uk distributer. Not actually sure if the sti diffuser will work, think the bumper on sti is wider, but not 100% sure, have just seen a few folk cutting theirs to get it to fit. Mine is standard in the engine/power department except mid section. Hopefully grab a few bits and pieces next month. It's got up-rated anti roll bars and endlinks, set of 4 pot gold  brembos on the front and bigger 18x8" prodrive alloys. 

Hmm that's the problem it'll be pricey + pricey shipping! Let me know if you do go for one and it makes a good lot of difference! Fair point around the diffuser I forget the body is different on the STI + as long as don't do a completely cr*p job cutting the bumper serves the purpose! 

What are those 4 pot brembos like and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? The brakes are one area where I would like to spend a bit of cash as at the moment they feel a bit weak/ spongy and also seem rather small for the power the car has and can potentially have. 

welcome fellow hatch owner,look forwards to the pictures,if your going to change the exhaust then make sure you get a unresinated centre section.the hatch has pritty good sound deadening,my first hatch wrx I had a cobra catback system with quad pipes and resonated centre section,lasted 2 week and I went and had centre section changed as was 2 quiet,even unresinated it not very loud in car and did not drone on motorway,exhaust uk at Sheffield cut the diffuser when they fitted it,mine was a catback system,stick a sport cat on will help relase the bhp when remapt and give bit more noise.

quad pipes.jpg

I now have another hatch with a full decat system,longlife brand with single 4inch tail pipe,this is still quiet in car but when you get the revs to about 4500-5000 it comes to life and sounds great,will be up for sale soon as I am going for a invidia Q300 quad pipe system for it.

rear new.JPG

On 13/01/2017 at 9:35 PM, aucky said:

welcome fellow hatch owner,look forwards to the pictures,if your going to change the exhaust then make sure you get a unresinated centre section.the hatch has pritty good sound deadening,my first hatch wrx I had a cobra catback system with quad pipes and resonated centre section,lasted 2 week and I went and had centre section changed as was 2 quiet,even unresinated it not very loud in car and did not drone on motorway,exhaust uk at Sheffield cut the diffuser when they fitted it,mine was a catback system,stick a sport cat on will help relase the bhp when remapt and give bit more noise.

quad pipes.jpg

I now have another hatch with a full decat system,longlife brand with single 4inch tail pipe,this is still quiet in car but when you get the revs to about 4500-5000 it comes to life and sounds great,will be up for sale soon as I am going for a invidia Q300 quad pipe system for it.

rear new.JPG

Thank you for the info!

I was thinking of first just buying a straight through pipe to delete the resonator. I already have a pro-drive back box fitted, so I was thinking it may create a slightly better sound without it. My only problem is looking at the straight through pipes, you get either 2.5" or 3" bore diameter and I'm not sure what's fitted to the WRX-S

quad pipes.jpg

rear new.JPG

Thank you for the info!

I was thinking of first just buying a straight through pipe to delete the resonator. I already have a pro-drive back box fitted, so I was thinking it may create a slightly better sound without it. My only problem is looking at the straight through pipes, you get either 2.5" or 3" bore diameter and I'm not sure what's fitted to the WRX-S

2.5 is normal size.aftermarket is 3.inch.people think it gives more power 3inch but 2.5 is capable of 350vhp.the cobra i had i went for 3inch and they made a peace to join 2 diffrent size pipes to each other.sttaight through pipe will open sound up for you.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Matt91uk said:

Thank you for the info!

If you are looking to keep the prodrive backbox and standard downpipe, without modifying anything it's a 2.5" centre section that you would be looking for. Most aftermarket downpipes are 3" but you can get a reducer if you have a 2.5" pipe. 

On 13/01/2017 at 4:56 PM, Matt91uk said:

Hmm that's the problem it'll be pricey + pricey shipping! Let me know if you do go for one and it makes a good lot of difference! Fair point around the diffuser I forget the body is different on the STI + as long as don't do a completely cr*p job cutting the bumper serves the purpose! 

What are those 4 pot brembos like and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? The brakes are one area where I would like to spend a bit of cash as at the moment they feel a bit weak/ spongy and also seem rather small for the power the car has and can potentially have. 

I got a great deal on the brembos. £350 including brand new PFC pads which are about £100. Had to buy disc (went for Godspeed g-hook £250). Most calipers I saw were about £500ish. I think the brakes are great. Make a huge difference. I'm sure I saw on here that some had a set of prodrive Alcon calipers for sale, they would be amazing if still available. 

32 minutes ago, aucky said:

Thank you for the info!

2.5 is normal size.aftermarket is 3.inch.people think it gives more power 3inch but 2.5 is capable of 350vhp.the cobra i had i went for 3inch and they made a peace to join 2 diffrent size pipes to each other.sttaight through pipe will open sound up for you.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thank you, saves me getting underneath and measuring :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, DDoc said:

If you are looking to keep the prodrive backbox and standard downpipe, without modifying anything it's a 2.5" centre section that you would be looking for. Most aftermarket downpipes are 3" but you can get a reducer if you have a 2.5" pipe. 

I got a great deal on the brembos. £350 including brand new PFC pads which are about £100. Had to buy disc (went for Godspeed g-hook £250). Most calipers I saw were about £500ish. I think the brakes are great. Make a huge difference. I'm sure I saw on here that some had a set of prodrive Alcon calipers for sale, they would be amazing if still available. 

That is a great deal guessing you found them on here for sale? I'll have a search in the ads and see if the prodrive calipers are still available. Did you upgrade to braided lines when you changed them? 

On 14/01/2017 at 8:44 AM, steveuk260 said:

hey and welcome, when it comes to exhaust Cobra Sport is a nice exhaust i got it on my 03 sti saloon with with a resonator to stop drone on motorways, very nice sounding and not too loud.

Thanks, just looked on the cobra sport website and the cat back exhausts are not to badly priced. Do you have any videos of yours so I can see how loud it is? Do you think a resonated cobra system will be louder then my current standard prodrive system?