Possible boost leak

Hi all, well I think I might have a boost leak on my blobeye WRX. There is a sound that is a bit like a whoosh that seems to happen and get louder as the turbo spoils and gets to its loudest when hitting full boost. But I haven't noticed any loss of power or any other running problems. Car seems to run as smooth as all ways.

So is it possible to have boost leak without loss of power? Any hints of where to look?

Many thanks

No changes since a panel filter and remap back in August last year.

A bit more background

The noise I can't remember when I first heard it, but its been a while. I first thought gearbox bearings and other things like that. But I've rules that out now as you can only hear it when you are giving it gas. Doesn't matter if it in a straight line or going round corners. And it's only there when on the road accelerating. I thought it was turbo spool but It's just more noticeable over the last few weeks and thought I might have a leak somewhere. I've tried revving the engine while looking under bonnet, but no sound. I will have a quick look tomorrow morning, then I've got to go to hospital and will try and get a video of it. Again though, no apparent loss of power?? Confused!!

Just finished work and noticed this small pipe is held on with 2 cable ties? What is it and should it be held on like that? Seem to be connected to the air box and inlet manifold? (If I got that right lol)

I used to blow holes on the turbo pipes on an fiat uno turbo back in the day. When it happened you would hear the gushing noise of the air escaping and you would get black smoke out of the exhaust as you accelerated due to the fact that the ecu would put enough fuel into the engine for the amount of air it thought it was getting. Check to see if you get any black smoke as you accelerate. Im not taljing about clouds of the stuff but you'll see a steady stream as you accelerate it dissipates pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Had a quick look tonight a couple of jubilee clip were loose but not stupidly loose, except one, the turbo inlet hose. The clip on the turbo is very loose and I think the pipe is on the way out. I gave it a bit of a tighten, but not overly. Didn't want to make it worse if that is the problem.

1 hour ago, Sirspidey said:

Had a quick look tonight a couple of jubilee clip were loose but not stupidly loose, except one, the turbo inlet hose. The clip on the turbo is very loose and I think the pipe is on the way out. I gave it a bit of a tighten, but not overly. Didn't want to make it worse if that is the problem.

The turbo inlet hose? Are you referring to the pipe that connects the turbo to the intercooler?

No, the hose from air filter to turbo (compressor I think). Been looking around and it seem quite a common problem as the oem hose perishes due to the ribbed jubilee clips they use. Bit of a pita to change from what I can see, but getting a Perrin one makes it a bit easier. Either way I think it needs replacing, just wanted some advice on gaskets and any other bits that would good practice to change. The tmic needs to come off, do I need gaskets to refit it? I'm not saying I'll do it myself, but would be nice to cost it all up.

And should I spent £200 for a Perrin or get a cheaper one I've seen on the bay. I understand the Perrin makes it easier to fit.

Cheers

Sorry for all questions.

Edit it's the large (3"?) hose that goes under the manifold

Yeah that's the turbo intake hose but standard turbo's don't have a 3" compressor inlet housing (oe is slightly smaller dia than 3" ).

They are a pita to fit with the inlet manifold in situ but not impossible, just get the swear tin handy lol .

Don't buy the cheapest options as they are poor fitting and "suck flat" under boost . But there are slightly cheaper options. .. scooby works ,japspeed ect might be a cheaper option

Cheers savage. The 3" was a guess, having a look around I think it's 2.5". Watched a video on how to fit and it looks a pita, but do able.

Since the tmic has to be removed and bov or bpf (if that's right) has to be removed are there gaskets and things that I should replace?

I just want to get all the parts before fitting. Have to drive it in a bit so will see if I made it worse or better soon.

I thought I'd mention that 3" wasn't standard size as there's quite a few for sale that size for the bigger aftermarket turbos .

I think the oe size is about 76mm dia (roughly)

If you're fitting a intake pipe with the inlet in situ you shouldn't need any gaskets .

I haven't changed 1 myself so maybe someone who has can chip in but here's a couple of things you'd probably need .

A couple of mtrs of vac line (cos it's cheap and some of yours might be perished ) and they look purdy lol . Plus a couple of vac line t pieces .

Coolant (just a bit to top up if you remove the header tank)

Jubilee clips various sizes. (as I remove mine I tend to put stainless worm drive ones in their place).

Normally get Clips n vac line from "ash " auto silicone hoses but you'd have to check what dia your existing vac line is ,as my classics use at least 2 different dia pending on what they're for .

Oh don't forget the swear tin and plasters lol

Cheers guys. I've got to my destination. Car running like a dream. Noise is still there, but maybe not so much. I'm starting to think I'm just paranoid about any noise I hear. It might just be turbo spool. I know scoobys are not the quietest car, so ....... not sure if I need to change it or not. So many other things I want to change. The bill just gets bigger lol on the plus, I guess a nice coloured pipe will look pretty hehe

Have a look at www.viperperformance.co.uk

They do the intakes, cheaper than perrin chances are they will have one in stock and the quality is good too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nice one stants. Had a look and seems spot on. Even does vacuum hoses.

On journey home, if I'm super critical while sat it traffic there was a slight hesitation on idle. Not often, but I did notice. So that's made my mind up, time to replace. Thanks for all help. I may be asking more questions before I fit it lol. Will update as I go

Well went to my local mechanic to see what he thought the noise was as I was get less sure it was a whooshing sound and more like a grinding noise. He thinks it could be a bearing in and around the gearbox area. Possible centre diff bearing?? Will start a new thread about it.

Thanks all