Unable to open boot door in winter - some advice for you

GGMan

Hi

For the first time, last week when it was about -3c, I could not open by boot. (Not the coldest it been out in either)

The press button for the boot, felt frozen solid and after a few hours of driving, it loosen up but it still would not make that sound to say latch unlock.

So I popped into my Subaru dealer (boot switch was now working) and had a quick word with a mechanic - solution, pour warm water over handle above latch to loosen electric switch up.

Since Subaru XV 2018 models have no other way of releasing the boot; not via key fob and there no boot release handle inside either, this is big concern if that button breaks!

20190202_071545.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting, I’ve not had mine not open but have noticed a certain reluctance but put it down to cold hands rather than the car.  From your posting it looks like there is an issue with the design as the UK temperatures are not the worst this car will see.  Maybe the lubrication they are using is not cold weather tolerant?

Thanks for posting.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:19 AM, ernieb said:

Interesting, I’ve not had mine not open but have noticed a certain reluctance but put it down to cold hands rather than the car.  From your posting it looks like there is an issue with the design as the UK temperatures are not the worst this car will see.  Maybe the lubrication they are using is not cold weather tolerant?

Thanks for posting.

I had mine for 5 years and even in -10C nothing ever froze up. Sounds like water is getting into the mechanism somehow

• 2 weeks later...