Auto locking doors

Tony F

Is there a way to (1) stop the auto locking of the doors and (2) open all doors at once on my keyless locking/unlocking 2018 Forester?

i find it very annoying that I have to unlock passenger doors from inside after I have opened the drivers door!

(1) If you have a genuine subaru sat nav fitted you can turn auto locking on / off  / change delay time settings / via the monitor - if not then a Subaru dealer can do it (from my 08 manual ) maybe its changed now but check your sat nav manual if you have one.

(2) All the doors should open when you press the remote unlock twice within 5 seconds - they do on mine anyway.   

Thanks for the replies... I don’t use the key fob to open the car, fingers behind the handle does that, there is no option on the OEM satnav to change the locking, maybe it’s a US option only? 

Down to the dealer I think!

Brack, thanks your suggestion,,, i’ve Left a note for Subaru Cust services... my dealer is relatively new to the franchise so I wouldn’t expect him to know all the wrinkles... yet! 😃

• Like 1

I don't know why any family car manufacturer would program their cars to only unlock the drivers door when the rest of the family has to be let in from the inside - and not provide an easy way to switch it around on all of their models ....when today's modern cars are designed with so many features of convenience.

Anyway hope your dealer sorts it. 

Cheers 🙂 

Sorted!

Subaru customer services came back.

to the right of the steering wheel is a pull down panel with a keypad.

switch ignition on, press 7 on the keypad and switch ignition off within 5 seconds.

I got it wrong first time, but second time it worked? Result! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Got a little further - All doors unlock when opened from the passenger side. Drivers side only opens drivr's door. Looks like I have Left-hand door unlocking ona Right hand drive car.

Anybody else got the same?

And to swap it over?

Dealer (Budgen Motors at Shrewsbury) did not seem to know anythimg about it.

My Forester is the same, the manual page 139 says "dealer setting to change". I'm on 2nd dealer now to see how simple it is to sort. They have emailed Subaru tech department to ask the question as they didn't know about it ffs.

I think every fob car I've had so far has this unlock choice in a driver menu. And what I've read online the previous builds of forester had it in the infoment menu.

The American shopping drivers prefer cars not to be hijack susceptible and as Subaru is more popular over there the designers never bothered to consider the uk market wants it seems now.

Hey ho.

Had a reply from Subaru UK.

Apparently it is an anti hijack feature, although no comment so far as to how come the passenger door will open all four doors!

My manual says the driver's door should open all  4 doors and this is what I want. Hijacking is not a real problem where I am. Never had it happen in about 55 years of motoring.

Sub UK say the dealer should be able to do it, despite the dealer denying any knowledge.

Currently waiting a fuller answer from Subaru UK so I can get the dealer to sort it out.

Hopefully some more story later.

Called into a dealer today, the problem stumped them. Awaiting their discussions with Subaru UKHO now. They are experienced Subaru dealer and this anomaly seems to have caught them on the hop. I agree Pete it is a bit silly that that an hijacker creeping up on the nearside can still get in.

However, having studied the manual further I discovered that the ever searching fob can be put to sleep easily to save its Battery life, and it works OK. No need for a Faraday box in the kitchen. (The dealer didn't know about that until I showed him, in the good books for future service costs now🤣)

Thanks for that. Sub UK sent a message to the dealer (Budgen Motors)

"You will need to make an appointment with your Subaru dealer for this change to be effected as it has to be carried out through their Subaru diagnostic tool which accesses the body control module on the vehicle to alter the door settings.

The change takes literally 5 minutes to undertake by the dealer.

Any Subaru dealer should be conversant with accessing the body control module but in the unlikely event that they required assistance, then they can of course contact our Technical Department for advice. We have copied in Budgen Motors with this reply so that they are accordingly aware."

I now have an appointment for 26th May at the dealer. Lets hope for a bit more enthusiasm this time!

Yes, I have found how to put the key to sleep. Seems good for overnight defence against radio hackers.

I have also set up the Pin Code entry on the rear hatch and hidden the spare key, duly sent to sleep, inside the car. Then if / when I lose my key, I can still get in and drive away using ther spare key.

I'm going to follow that up Pete, thanks for info, no reply from second dealer so I'll try a third. I hope they are interested in follow up service not just sales. 

Nice one setting up the security bits 👍

• 2 weeks later...

No response from 3rd dealer 😠 in fact no call back from any of them ffs. So now I've written to Subaru UK, mentioning them of course, and await their solution.

Hopefully a software update can be uploaded over t'tinternet, from Subaru Land. Ah so.

Hi Jim,

Sub UK did quickly contact the dealer as above.

However:-

I went as reqested to the dealer (Budgen Motors, Shrewsbury). After about an hour or so, I got the key back. And was told -

1) Apparently their computer would not let them make the door-locking change. They apparently need to talk to somebody to resolve this;

2) I also asked them to sort out a known problem in that all the time the rear hatch is open, a current of 4Amps is drawn from the Battery. OK while loading the shopping, but a bit of a bugger if you have been sitting in the back with a picnic watching some event for some hours only to find the Battery won't start the engine any more. I did give them the Service Bulletin number when I booked the job but they reported they needed to get the parts in

So nothing was fixed.

Still, there was free coffee available.

Now waiting the next response from them.........

And I thought Chrysler had a problem not being able stop Wrangers leaking  when it rained,  hence why I gave up on them 🙄

Fingers crossed owners Toyota might step up....

• 2 weeks later...

So, after many weeks later I have never had a reply from the Subaru UK on line resolution form. Also never had a reply to my email sent to contactus@subaru.co.uk which I took from their web site.

There is no phone number to contact UK head office.

Does any one think that Subaru UK read this forum and think "oh we had better address this problem"

I do like driving the Forester I must admit, but if I hadn't spent much money getting the back sorted out to carry my dogs and paraphernalia I would be taking it back to the dealer for lack of support.

Update on the one touch door handle all doors unlocking. I ended up getting a call back from my Dealer AND an email from Subaru. Result was I called in the dealership (Maple Leaf) yesterday and in 10 mins they had (through the diagnostics) made all the doors unlock (139 in the manual) and enabled the front windows to open on long press of the fob unlocking. Windows is handy when the sun has been on the car, but yet another dealer only adjustment (140 in the manual)

So, at last all sorted!

The internal Thatcham alarm keypad is only useful to switch off the internal sensors temporally (press 2 before leaving car) when nipping in for a bottle of wine and the dogs are in the back, and (press 7 before leaving car) makes all the doors lock after starting driving along.