Rough running woes :-/

thxxx

The car is a 2002 bug WRX with Sti Intercooler, pink injectors, janspeed exhaust system, and TD04 hybrid, running about 320bhp. 

Hi all, first technical post for a while. So, short story, it’s running horribly over about 4K revs. Video link attached. Weirdly it doesn’t seem to do this under load, but does feel down on power. 

It had its MOT last week, which meant exhaust swap, and also plugs and oxygen sensor changed last week. Now it’s doing this, and I’m also getting a weird noise on full boost, almost like an electrical noise, or maybe someone letting air out of a balloon. I’m thinking this could be a boost leak, but I’ve checked all the IC pipes, and the HKS SSQV pipes and tightened them, so not sure what to do next! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

linky: 

Thank you, I’ll check those ASAP. This thing is driving me insane, 6 months of ownership and 3 months off the road so far. I’m beginning to believe it’s cursed. 😕

do the symptoms seem like it could be all because of a boost leak? I’ve read various things, from spark plugs being loose to the down pipe having some play. None of it was done by me unfortunately, and the garage is closed until next week, but I need the car. I’m learning a lesson here... buy something crap and reliable!! 😂

3 hours ago, thxxx said:

Thank you, I’ll check those ASAP. This thing is driving me insane, 6 months of ownership and 3 months off the road so far. I’m beginning to believe it’s cursed. 😕

do the symptoms seem like it could be all because of a boost leak? I’ve read various things, from spark plugs being loose to the down pipe having some play. None of it was done by me unfortunately, and the garage is closed until next week, but I need the car. I’m learning a lesson here... buy something crap and reliable!! 😂

Mine used to stutter after 4k RPM but not as bad as yours, it wouldn't do it as bad and wouldn't happen all the time, I pulled out my sparkies and they were bad, totally fixed the problem by changing them and pulls like a dream now, so I would suspect it's sparkies.

What kind of spark plugs did the garage fit as with modded scoobs running more than stock boost should be running pfr7b, these plugs provide a stronger spark which reduces the chances of the higher boost blowing the spark out 

Iridiums I think, I will check. Thanks for this info. I removed the intercooler again this morning, checked all hoses (whole worn don’t look perished) and cleaned up the area around the recirc valve, tightening it down a little more. 

It may just be because the car was cold, but it’s running better this morning. Unfortunately it doesn’t tell me whether cold spark plugs are sparking better or cold hoses somewhere are sealing better and not creating a boost leak. I think my next port of call is a pressure test on the boost side of things. 😕 !Removed! thing has been nothing but trouble for 6 months! 

so looks like it was a boost leak, which I have resolved (with a few extra clips on the pipes until the silicone turns up). now I have a weird noise coming from the intake, or at least its on throttle. It's nothing to do with the turbo, just throttle, and sounds like very loud wind noise coming from the right hand side of the engine bay. Next thing I think is to check the airbox and all parts around it to make sure there is no leak there 😕 Frustrating thing.

By way of a further update... my exhaust up pipe to turbo was missing 3 bolts, causing a huge leak which wasn't audible except under load. 😕 This has now been rectified by Super Duper up in Basingstoke. fully recommend them as a garage if anybody needs to use them!