XV tyre recommendations?

MrPete

Hi all - so I took the plunge and am now the proud owner of a 2012 2.0d manual XV - and I have to say that I am very pleased with it! Thinking about winter coming along and whilst I don't want to put winter tyres on specifically, does anyone have recommended tyres that are good all year round, good in the wet and fuel economy etc? Plus any horror stories or brands to stay away from? 

Here's my new toy 😁

And I also found these tyres, has anyone used these on their XV? 

IMG_20190820_121029.jpg

Screenshot_20190905_050319_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by MrPete
Added tyre info

I bought my CrossClimate SUV from Costco, good value. They did damage a sensor valve but did not quibble, bought an OEM replacement which they payed for £104, fitted, all good.  I’ve been through last winter but used the CrossClimate tyres on two previous Skoda Yeti, in very deep snow, ice and floods, very comfortable and secure.

• 8 months later...

I took the plunge with the CrossClimate+ tyres - not cheap but wow has it made a difference already. Even better handling in the wet, roll on winter and some snow...

3 hours ago, MrPete said:

I took the plunge with the CrossClimate+ tyres - not cheap but wow has it made a difference already. Even better handling in the wet, roll on winter and some snow...

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, I always reason what price safety and security. I’ve done about 16k plus on my once’s fitted to the XV and still showing 6mm of tread.

• Thanks 1

Sorry not able to help you but if all else fails it might be worth checking it out via one of the many vehicle history sites. Whilst there is a fee it may give you some basic data and tell you if it’s been in an accident.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Sorry not able to help you but if all else fails it might be worth checking it out via one of the many vehicle history sites. Whilst there is a fee it may give you some basic data and tell you if it’s been in an accident.

Posted in wrong thread sorry

• 5 months later...

I've used Crossclimate SUV's for over a year on my XV. They're an excellent tyre, I had them on a previous Toyota front wheel drive car before and was very impressed. Like other members, I haven't yet experienced them in the snow. I'd have no hesitation in replacing them with the same when the time comes. 

I've not use the CrossClimates on an XV in the snow but I have with a Skoda Yeti.  This was in Derbyshire and some of the drifts on a narrow lanes were 12" (30cm) deep.  there was plenty of packed snow in places.  The tyres performed perfectly, I was very impressed with the feel and confidence that the tyres gave.

Just as importantly for me is the performance in wet weather, typically heavy rain on motorways.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got to try the tyres out on snow yesterday - and I have to say I was impressed. No problems up a fairly long steep hill and cornering was fine as long as I was sensible. I did give the vehicle dynamics a test by ragging around one bend but only on an open space and not the road - some quality power sliding fun! 

• Like 2

Where I live, we still had no snow that lasted more than a few hours, so it did lay on the ground ☹️, as my tyres now have near 18,000 miles on them and interested hours well they handle snow now.

We've had about 50mm (2") of snow on the ground and temperatures below zero.  The local roads are snow packed but the CrossClimates perform brilliantly.  It's been interesting watching neighbours struggle with low profile tyres even on the flat road let alone on the drive inclines, not a pretty sight.  I had a neighbour come over, socially distanced, and ask what my car was as they were impressed at how easy it seemed to drive on the snow/ice.

• Like 1

It’s been a distraction from lockdown, something different and good fun.  The family are all into Lego, my son and grandson have made some really big stuff.

The Lego Defender is about 44cm (17”) long, all wheel drive, 3 diffs, 4 speed sequential gearbox, hi/lo selection, D-N-R lever, etc., and about 2600 pieces.  (No electrics it’s too small) It’s probably more reliable than the current crop being produced in Solihull?