Wheels

Jamina

Does anyone run 17" wheels on a non-widetrack STI?

I am thinking about changing wheels and there is a plethora of choice out there.

I currently have 18", 8JJ, ET51 but was thinking that moving over to 17" and losing the low profile tyres might make for a smoother ride. I believe the original wheels would have been 17"?

Have been looking at 17", 8.5JJ options (no idea what ET I need) to fill the arches a bit better. Rota have some nice options...

@Ryan_Lewis is selling a really nice set but i'm guessing these aren't suitable for MY03 STI and is quite a trek from me. I may be tempted to get a set of these if they do the right size.

Any first hand experience or advice on 17" over 18"?

Cheers

I have seen a set of PFF-7s and think these are possibly a nice way to go.

Same wheel spec as what I already have but weigh in a bit lighter. If they aren't filling the arches enough I can always add some spacers to fill them out.

So will be on the hunt for a set, trouble is I believe the 5x100 option are fairly rare...

Preferably going to get a cheaper set that need a refurb so I can choose a colour :g:

Hi Jamina 

Just to let you i have since dropped the price of the wheels i'm selling to £700, if you are interested let me me know. I have no issues with meeting half way if you do wish to purchase. Cheers 

Hi @Ryan_Lewis,

Cheers for letting me know I appreciate it. 

I am still deciding what I am after. I do really like what you have but I’m convinced these are totally the wrong spec for Brembos. 

I will do some more research on it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @Jay762 by the looks of it these would actually give more clearance then!?

think I got my original ET wrong, need to check tomorrow on the wheel but i think they are actually ET45. So the wheel spec is almost the same just moving from 18” to 17” and ET45 to ET40. 

wish I understood wheel sizes a bit more 😂 

I am not sure about this but can you get STI Brembos under 17inch wheels? I doubt it but I could be wrong. I have WRX Hawkeye and I upgraded to Brembo (Not sti ones, smaller caliper from Godspeed) and they barely fit inside the barrel of the wheel standard 17inch wheels. There must be no more than 2 mm clearance. I have had a small stone get trapped in there and it scored the inside of the barrel.

15 hours ago, Jamina said:

Thanks @Jay762 by the looks of it these would actually give more clearance then!?

think I got my original ET wrong, need to check tomorrow on the wheel but i think they are actually ET45. So the wheel spec is almost the same just moving from 18” to 17” and ET45 to ET40. 

wish I understood wheel sizes a bit more 😂 

yes it took me a little time to get my head around the hub centre line offset vs wheel width relationship 🤔🤪

a comparison of the two Ryans wheels on your car will stick out nearly 2 cm further which will fill out your arches nicely and give 7mm increased internal clearance - effectively away from the side of your caliper

So you should be fine with stock Brembo calipers - probably even get a bigger set in there

• 3 weeks later...

Konig never got back to me. Checked with a 3rd party company who said they will most likely for over Brembos but weren’t sure if they would stick a little from the arches so...

have done some more research and think I have settled on looking for a set of 5x100 BBS wheels that I think came standard on the spec c

anyone know where I can find a set of these. Picture to follow!

• 1 month later...

Still looking for the above. Checked a few breakers who have said they come up but you have to keep searching. Apparently not as sought after as I though due to weight and other options in 18” being preferable. 

let me know if you know of any

• 2 months later...

Am considering the attached. Is anyone able to advise on wheels specs I have selected as to whether they would be correct fitment for Brembos and the best width to fill the arches without arch mods. 

thank you!

659F7EB7-C59E-4228-AFB8-12F0C15960CE.png

5E1C7EB3-8787-42FB-AA73-540176992764.png

• Like 1