John Horner

Hybrid Forester - Battery Problems

I bought the new Hybrid Forester mid November 2019, I’ve had the AA out 4 times to start the car, the electronics battery goes flat after 4 days.  I bought this car as I had a diesel & didn’t use it  as much as I used to, so decided on a petrol vehicle with a larger engine, the Subaru fitted the bill, but then I started having problems with this car the dealership said that I need to drive it more, the salesman knew why I was sell my previous car. The first time I called out the AA I hadn’t driven it for about 7 days, the electronics battery was flat, most of February the AA was called even though I managed to drive it more often, but that doesn’t seem to make any difference, , I’ve since had the AA engineer out to check it over, on his last visit, I had not used the car for 4 days on purpose so that the engineer could see if there was a problem & there was it had lost its charge, he recommended a stronger battery which I’ve said to the garage but they just say I’ve got to drive it more, I’ve since had the AA out again & drove it to charge up the battery, that was last Thursday, I went this morning to move it & the battery is totally flat, it doesn’t matter now until we are allowed to drive it. Your help Inn sololving this is problem would be very helpful.

Probably not much help for your specific issue John but your not alone, I have a petrol 2018 model (68 plate) that I also often leave for 4 or 5 days without running, particularly at the moment given the situation with the virus, and I find that my battery is losing charge over a period of 5 or 6 days so that the starter motor will not turn.

I am contemplating buying a portable battery booster that I can carry around with me as a " just in case" solution.

It seems to me that there is so much electrical activity still going on while the car is switched off and I guess that just takes the edge off the battery, compound that with 5 or 6 days of inactivity and soon that battery is under 12v and unable to turn the engine.  

measure the parasitic draw with vehicle locked and modules asleep .

Ideally want a logging ability meter so can see instances where a module maybe waking up and pulling power .

Anything over 60mA is too much, 35mA +- 10mA is more average .

Even if drive it more or retains just enough charge to start your battery lifespan going be short due to discharge levels caused while inactive .

It certainly a fault, no car would ever be designed have stationary parked current draw flatten a battery in 4 to 5 months let alone days .

Your dealers response is ignorant at best, excuse not to get involved in a known difficult to resolve issue at worst  ...

• Like 2

My new Forester e-Boxer was totally flat this morning after standing for 7 days. As we can't go out, I have been running the engine for 20 minutes once a week but this morning I just got an array of flashing lights on the dash and no starter action. I put the battery on charge for 2 hours and it then then started, so I ran it for 20 minutes on a fast idle. It's a bit of a worry as we often go on cruises (well we used to) and the car would stand for 18 days at the cruise port, this is my 7th new Subaru and I've never in 16 years had a breakdown or failure not start! 

^
Welcome to the new eco era .If it inherent issue on new range it needs a recall as battery drain in a week simply not fit for purpose, most manufacturers engineers design capacity and stationary current usage to last months, 7 days is a serious issue and I hearing many owners having drained battery issues ...
If you want reliability and do your bit for environment older model vehicles do far better if review it in full spectrum not just tail pipe numbers .
New car from pretty much any manufacturer a waste of time and money these days unfortunately .

• Like 1

I have the same problem with my brand new Forester Hybrid.  Bought at the end of February 2020, the problems with flat battery started almost immediately. My mileage is low at best of times but just now with lockdown, even lower.  Had 2 failed attempts to start.  Dealer has said that if it continues he would fit a bigger battery but he did say that after the first occassion.  He also suggested that I dont lock the car as the alarm takes power from the battery.  Guess my insurance would love me doing that!  Only 500 miles and getting disappointed.

This is a common fault across the new Forester range. My new Forester (Dec 19) flattened the battery after two weeks idle and the vehicle locked. Leaving the car unlocked has prevented battery drain though bug I am lucky and have a secure area to park the car.  Dealer said I have to use it more often, difficult under lockdown though. A few isdues starting to emerge on these cars, in North America there is a class action over windscreens breaking easily. Watch this space!