Hi.

Not been in here for a while. The timing belt on our Impreza snapped as I was driving to work. Don't know what to do with the thing now. I don't know how to tell if it's all messed up inside.

I turned the crank with my ratchet arm and the end of the timing bely poked out of the new hole in the belt cover.. 😞

It is a 2008 2l Sport so not worth a lot and I don't want to waste money on a garage just for them to say it's ruined.. without putting a belt on it I don't know how to tell if it's ruined. Also I would have to learn on the go how to put the belt on... Time is my enemy.. lack of money too..

Edited by Brick
Chunky fingers and an inability to type well. :)

You could totally remove the snapped belt , taking caution not to let the passengers side cam pulleys spin towards each other (if the belt still has tension on them) 

This should leave the cams at base circle, lobes not pushing down on the valves and valves should be shut .

Then slowly turn the crank pulley a full rotation , if it stops /locks you've definitely bent some valves .

If not a garage might be able to do a compression test to see if it's ok but I don't know if they'd have to fit a new belt to do so .

If it is fubared, a second hand engine would be the cheapest way to get it back on the road , best of luck bud 

Cheers lads. It was travelling about 45mph uphill between bends at the time. Did't ralise at first it had snaped. There was an almighty ban, black smoke from the rear I first thought but it was caused by the tyres when the car locked instantly and briefly, the skid light came on and the tyres now have an area where they locked, not flat spotted but there is the clear colour difference. I gues that is "an undetectable by feel" flatspot. The incident happened in the flash of an eye..

Because I have no time and money I'm probably going to have to scrap it or see if anyone wants to buy it and repair/replace the engine themselves... 😞

• 4 weeks later...