are jdm subaru imprezas better

kevstep0

Tough one. Yes they are better built and have more power it seems over the UK car's. The only reason I can give for this is they don't meet what our stinking government and the EU want with emissions and so on. Or there is the other theory That they just want to keep the best for them self's. So who know's why really, I just know that it's been the same for years and years, and not just Subaru. Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and any other company's have been doing it :( 

the uk classics don't have a rear window wiper but the JDM ones do, if you like to see who's behind you in the rain then JDM is a must lol

on a more serious note, uk models tend to rust quicker and they have underseal too, most JDM cars don't as over there they don't get the poor weather, they also don't have car crime like we do so some don't have any security features past stock items

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly Europa not so important for Japan car makers, America, Australia and Japan main market. But maybe there is a little differencies between Eu and Japan but i don't think EU models less quality.

Rust problem maybe derive form climate.

Subaru isn't a big manifacturer, their production capacity limited. They don't chance to product EU's cars from diffrent factory.

The gap has closed over the years, but JDM cars are always better than the "General and European" market cars we get.

Back in the days of the Impreza classic we never had any version of STi, type-R or type-RA over here, and the car we did get, the turbo 2000, or GT as it was called in mainland Europe, was just a watered down version of the JDM Impreza WRX with a less powerful engine and less equipment. On the Legacy side, we did get a turbo version of the first generation car but again that was a watered down version of the JDM Legacy RS and we didn't see any of the type-R etc that made Subaru famous in rally with their first wins. From Generation 2 onwards we haven't had any turbo version of the Legacy and from Generation 3 we even stopped getting the quad-cam cars :(

So in answer to the question... Yes, JDM cars are ALWAYS better!!

The JDM classic wrx was a higher BHP than the uk version. Only draw back was getting parts and insurance.

Also as most were 2nd cars from japan they had some tasty mods, still there were also a fair few tasteless mods as well.

If I recall correctly, most of the early type R,s and STI's were imports, wasn't till the bug eye 300 type uk we really started getting decent UK cars, all there was uptill then was the P1 which was basically a type R fettled by Prodrive.

Only had one Import and I blew it up in 3 days , had 3 uk never had a issue with so called chocolate internals even running 20% meth

Tho import I had was a impulse buy and was but of a lemon I tried to save

In my experience service and history has been key

• 1 year later...

Yes you have to declare its an import.The imports are more to insure,but how much depends on your circumstances.When I last did a quote for an import It was about £150 more than a uk one for me.

I just did a quote and pretty much the same price difference for me too. I thought it would be quite a bit more.