EJ20’s

Joshua

Hi all I’m new here and I’m just about to start the build of turbocharging my Subaru Impreza RS wagon with the ej20 in it and I know the compression ratio was different to the ej20 used in the wrx.

does anyone know the actual physical differences between the ej20t and the na ej20?

thanks 

There are many differences, sensors / loom, intake manifold, ECU, exhaust manifoId, exhaust up pipe, exhaust down pipe, I believe the cams are also different. brakes are different, ARB's are different, shock springs are different.

3 hours ago, Jay762 said:

There are many differences, sensors / loom, intake manifold, ECU, exhaust manifoId, exhaust up pipe, exhaust down pipe, I believe the cams are also different. brakes are different, ARB's are different, shock springs are different.

I’ve got a new sub frame on it’s way and a blown wrx engine with good heads, I may use those heads and I’ll have to use the sub frame to fit the up pipe, speaking off I also have that and the down pipe aswell as a 2.5” Miltec exhaust system and UEL STI headers and the turbo and the intercooler off a wrx.

I also have the four pod brakes soon to be installed and some Coil-overs that are soon going on.

I think I can make this work with the engine if I swop the heads 

Yh I’ve already looked at that, 

I’ve only got 1ncb as I was on my second year 7month in and moved to Scotland and it was cheeper to swop to a new insurance. Long story short I’m almost on my 2ncb and my record has 2 years and 7months and with that and declaring a turbo and all the above aswell as bigger wheels etc it’s coming in at £1300 so I can’t complain.

however I own two cars and rent a shed so the Subaru is in storage witch I plan on taking it out November once the build is completed.  

Unsure if na heads have the oil feed and return for a turbo , so you'll probably need at least turbo heads.

Id imagine The na runs a higher compression  ratio due to not being boosted . Unsure if this is accomplished by different piston crown design,  head chamber sizes or gasket thickness. 

It would simplify things if you had a full turbo donor car engine, loom and ECU . As the stock na ECU and loom won't be able to control boost .

Inlet manifolds,engines looms and ecus in classics are different pending on "version". v1 to v4 are interchangeable but v5/v6 run a different inlet port pattern . So there's a few compatibility issues pending on year of car, loom and engine to consider too .Even when fitting another turbo engine to a turbo car , let alone a na 

Obviously it will be eaiser and cheaper to just buy a turbo version,  probably cheaper to insure a oe turbo version too (not modified)

I like the diy approach,  so will help if I can but unfortunately my na engine spec is pretty much non existent