brake master cylinder stoppers

stants

Does anyone have this fitted and does it actually provide day to day real world benifits ?

I've read that the subaru bulkhead isn't the strongest but it takes a lot of force to distort a bit of metal, maybe it would eliminate a little movement ?

I can see under track conditions and hard driving it would be of use but am wondering if it would just be a placebo.

I know braided lines would make mores sense but i don't really have the time at the mo to upgrade.

Should i take a punt at a 35 quid part or save my money for other things ?

20131028_161555_zpsc72b9830.jpg

i seem to have a load more space around my cylinder and not much else attached to the fire wall. So should be a doddle to fit. Been searching for write ups and a few of the us forums say the are good mod for the classics.may just take the plunge do a write up/review for our forum

• Like 1

It's a good value for money mod and they do make a difference on older cars. From about 2003 (not sure of exact date) Subaru updated the design of the Master Cylinder so the stopper isn't needed and the brakes are much better... The new design will fit older cars, Bip has changed his and it's on my to-do list!

Rigt then ordering ! Forgot i'd attached the brace after i took that pic. And i've prob cursed myself saying should be a doddle haha !

Any preference in make ? I was gonna go for the tegiwa on as it's at least 30 quid cheaper than yhe cdf and a whole 60 cheaper than the cusco ones. Are you just paying for brand name here ?

Adam as the thread's been deleted do you fancy pm'ing me how much you wanted for the front seats ? I take itvthey were the buckets ?

Re seats... They are still here, I have photos on my PC but I'm not home until late tonight so I'll get them posted at the weekend. If you're still interested we can talk money then.

A friend has a Tegiwa stopper on her GT-B and it looks to be a good, well made design. I can't see any reasons not to recommend that, but then I haven't seen any of the other makes so can't comment on them.

Re seats... They are still here, I have photos on my PC but I'm not home until late tonight so I'll get them posted at the weekend. If you're still interested we can talk money then.

A friend has a Tegiwa stopper on her GT-B and it looks to be a good, well made design. I can't see any reasons not to recommend that, but then I haven't seen any of the other makes so can't comment on them.

Ordered the tegiwa one should be here mon or tuesday. Have a few days off so i'll fit it and get some pics on weds/thurs

It looked exactly the same as the cdf stopper so couldn't see the point in spending more than i need to.

This was one of the first mods I did to improve the brakes on my Legacy. It made a noticeable difference to the feel on the brake pedal, however, it didn't make any difference to the braking ability. The braided lines again made a small difference to the feel of the brakes. But the biggest difference was when I changed the brake servo and master cylinder. I bought these from a Hawkeye Impreza STI. This almost completely removed the spongy feel on the pedal and really increases confidence in the braking ability. 

• Like 1

Bip, what did the change do mechanically ? More brake pressure & force is it a bigger unit or just better quality ?

At the mo i'm just looking for little bits and bobs i can buy here and there to improve things. Nothing too major and i've no intention of tracking the car and i'm banned from 'spirited' driving by the misses :'(

I've Just found a picture of mine after painting and fitting. It is the Tegiwa item but the bright blue would have looked a bit out of place in my engine bay so I painted it matt black before fitting. It's also a bit of pain to fit in the twin turbo's due to the solenoid box you can see on the left. I had to cut away some of the case and file it to the profile of the brake stopper to give a neat finish.

IMG_1274.jpg

Bip, what did the change do mechanically ? More brake pressure & force is it a bigger unit or just better quality ?

At the mo i'm just looking for little bits and bobs i can buy here and there to improve things. Nothing too major and i've no intention of tracking the car and i'm banned from 'spirited' driving by the misses :'(

Mechanically all it does is counter the affect of the flexing bulkhead. So when pressing the brake pedal, the point at which the pedal stops and you are fully on the brakes is higher up. (if that makes sense). It gives a better feel but doesn't reduce the stopping distance.

• Like 1

the matt black does look good - Im not a huge fan of too much anodised stuff - reminds me of the stuff on 90's superbikes all got a bit tacky even though the kit can be top line

Turned up today, looked sturdy enough. No instructions. No problem.

Went to test fit only to find none of the bolts to attach the bracket to the bodywork fit grrrr !

Anyone any good with hex bolt sizes ? they say 8.8 on the top what does this relate to in bolt size ? M12 ?

So everything back together again and placed an order with subaru for what i hope are 3 (couple of spares) new bolts as i refuse to try and drive a bolt through too small a hole.

At 95 pence each i'm not gonna break the bank of the're wrong

Sweet which one you go for ?

If tegiwa one save yourself the hassle and get some m6 machine screws as the ones supplied are far to big in diameter. The ones from subaru didn't fit either so i've resorted to buying some from a motor factors. Even then i'm gonna have to cut them down as they are going to foul the springs.

So after finally getting all parts needed today fitted it all only to find i had to take 90% of it off again and re fit with shorter bolts tomorrow