Induction kits for Subaru Impreza GX non turbo

Hi there, ive recently bought my first Subaru and found this forum/community for advice. I have a Subaru Impreza 2.0 GX Sport which I am enjoying alot so far :D

I have just purchased an afterburner vortex cat back package from scoobyworld and am looking to add an induction kit and air filter to compliment this. Does anybody have any advice with the best kit. Ive heard k &n and Apexi do good kits. My bonnet does not have a scoop or vents so I would like to find an induction kit that would work best. Any advice would be appreciated. Great forum S.O.C. Thanks

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

To be honest I would not use a induction kit , if that's the route you want to go look for a heat shield as the filter will suck in warm air and not perform as good

Panel filter by hks / piper cross / kn is a more suitable mod in my eyes then adapt the air box with improved cold air feeds from behind the grill or bumper

• Like 1

Wotcha and welcome,

As you are not increasing the capacity of the engine or how much gas and air will be flowing through it to a huge degree by changing the exhaust I would follow Matts advice, get a good high flow panel filter, Cosworth, K&N, Pipercross, etc - an oil free one would be best as to not screw up your MAF.

If you would like to mod further look at brakes and handling packages or loosing weight that way you make the most of power to weight ratio

• Like 1

Think im gonna try a panel filter first. HKS claim a 30% increase in airflow. Its pretty cheap and easy to do as its only swapping with the original panel filter. Trial and error, can always go for the full induction kit after if not completely satisfied. Will give the MAF a clean too any advice on that so I dont trash it lol

I don't blame you mate I did start like that myself before the engine rebuild and going for the K&N induction at the same time. My advice is I wouldn't try clean the MAF it's super sensitive and have myself 0 results of trying :( 

Thats not to say it doesn't help I might have just had lot's of bad luck but if it's working don't try fix it is my advice :D 

• Like 2

Yeah will try little bits here and there and see how things go. All of your advice has been helpful so thanks.

Car hasnt been starting great the last few days and seems to stutter a bit but fine once warm. Thought originaly may just be cold but after looking in to air filter changes and reading up on MAF the symptoms of a dirty sensor are the same. Will do so more research before attempting it as a last resort though so cheers for the warning.

Not sure a stutter when cold would be a MAF problem I normally found it's when warm the problem would happen but seeing how many different types of problems and how it affects other cars you never know 

Quick video here anyway 

Best video is here and as he says not all can be cleaned 

• Like 1

True Matt plugs and leads will also be checked. Its weird as once its warm its perfectly fine just the first few minutes. Can always count on you tube lol. I'll check the plugs and leads first given the sensor is well.... Sensitive. At work tonight so will keep you updated tomorrow afternoon. Cheers

• Like 1

ive ran two Apexi and K&N cones on both scoobs and never had a problem, but the filters are maintained properly, i personally love turbo chatter so the air box had to go.

Had to read that twice to understand it, so you run an open cone for the sound? I did run one on my vxr and the sneezes and splutters coming out of it were awesome. My mate said he couldn't tell much sound difference, but maybe that was due to the exhaust. Is it just chatter you hear or is there an induction rumble as well?

Hi Ash, ive come to the conclusion of fitting a panel filter first and if im not satisfied i'll go for the K&N Typhoon induction kit as includes a heat shield. Everyone likes a bit of sound (theyre lying if they say they dont) and the afterburner vortex ive got provides that. Think i'll be upgrading to a turbo next year but for now i'll just make the most of the GX sport ive got. I also need to upgrade the Stereo and speakers as the car was standard when I bought it. Any advice for sounds welcome as im unsure of speaker sizes. Im still undecided on a new head unit too, double din upgrade? Oh and im 100% certain its the cold affecting the car now. Started a bit lumpy this morning when it was 1°c but was better later on when 5°c.

• Like 1

I had to make MDF donut rings to get bigger speakers in mine. As for the sound system I like my Kenwood stuff but have since built a touch screen PC so everything's Mp3 now :D and you are right the Scoobs don't like the cold mornings that much but once warmed up should be fine like you said :)

Alright Stotty, no need to lie it sounds good. Its designed by Hayward and Scott who to be fair have achieved a great deep sporty tone. They've just released the afterburner Raptor which is supposed to be the next version so may want to check that out too.

Hey Gambit, as much as i can cut wood i think i'll find some to fit. I had a kenwood system but sold it with my last motor. Adored the Stereo and sound but couldnt get the Bluetooth to link with my phone (samsung). I like the FLI range for speakers so will see what I can find. Touchscreen double din headunit i think though :D

I just removed the resonator box from under the drivers side wheel arch !Removed! guard to help with air flow .It then draws more cold air from under the wheel arch.

as for speakers I think my vibe fronts are 6.5 inch and I bought some spacers of egay to fit those and a tin opener to fit the vibe 6x9 's on the back shelf lol

I run a alpine head unit with a 8 gb stick with most of my music on