What have you done to your Subaru today ?

stants

More than likely bearing failure,not sure if I will replace it with another one yet,I got it dirt cheap £425 so not worth spending any more money on, it's already had 4 new tyres,only last week, you got to draw a line somewhere.....

get a cheap engine and pop that in!

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

I've clearly been bitten badly by this cleaning bug. I've just caught myself dusting out the heater vents with an old paintbrush...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahah brilliant. You changed the cabin filter? that's worth doing, its only a few quid and easy to do.

Just been told it sounds like a big end bearing has gone on this engine too :(

My last one went that way unfortunately, 2 years ago this very month. Best thing about it......upgraded to a 3.0.  :D

That's very likely.

The engine was warm when he fired it up.

On the upside, I've just bought an sti short block with forged Pistons for £400. And it only failed the MOT on a rear ARB link and a cv boot.

At least you'll have a fair bit of experience whipping the motor in n out of a legacy by the time your done Sam [emoji6]

Are you going to clean up the heads off the old motor and fit those to the sti short block ?

Practice makes perfect!

That's plan...

At least you'll have a fair bit of experience whipping the motor in n out of a legacy by the time your done Sam [emoji6]

Are you going to clean up the heads off the old motor and fit those to the sti short block ?

Practice makes perfect!

That's plan...

Are they particularly hard to fit? I've been thinking about getting a few bits like that... Obviously they'll have to wait now. Be good to know how much difference they actually make, my steering always feels a bit loose, if that makes sense?

Depends on what your read, like everyhthing else I suppose if you go into it prepared and with plenty of time and light you'll be fine it appears to be the o/s that's a pig as some people have had to disconnect the rack from the steering wheel

I reckon about an hour with brew time inc

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's what I'm going to be doing :-) I'm going to be building an engine from scratch (deep breathe ) been looking into it past couple of weeks and getting really excited about this ' shed build I'm amateur at this but I'll give anything ago ,lol I'm gonna be forging etc, and taking it slow ,so first step will be buying a cheap but good bare block so I can start cleaning honing and measuring tolerances ,and go from there ,it's gonna be a budget build but not cheap lol , I will start a build thread and most likely will get stuck at points so all help will be gratefully excepted :-)

So I'll be looking in a couple of weeks when I get back from holiday for a cheap block , rods and pistons

Crankshaft rear thrust bearing type :-) sti newage sump oil pick up etc

It's what I'm going to be doing :-) I'm going to be building an engine from scratch (deep breathe ) been looking into it past couple of weeks and getting really excited about this ' shed build I'm amateur at this but I'll give anything ago ,lol I'm gonna be forging etc, and taking it slow ,so first step will be buying a cheap but good bare block so I can start cleaning honing and measuring tolerances ,and go from there ,it's gonna be a budget build but not cheap lol , I will start a build thread and most likely will get stuck at points so all help will be gratefully excepted :-)

So I'll be looking in a couple of weeks when I get back from holiday for a cheap block , rods and pistons

Crankshaft rear thrust bearing type :-) sti newage sump oil pick up etc

I don't know if it's any use to you... but I've now got a completely useless ej20 block sat in my shed. It'll most likely need a bit of machining, but should still save you a few quid overall. It'll probably be getting be getting split over the next week or so, just so we can find out exactly what went wrong, so we'll also be able to make sure nothing too disastrous has happened.  

• Like 1

Alright, as I say, we'll get it apart and make sure that nothing too disastrous has happened. As you're looking to hone it and put oversized pistons in, I can't see there'll be any issues :D 

Picked up the car from the garage, complete with 12 months MOT. Also picked up my new short block and had a chat about parallel fuel set ups. I really like the idea, so that'll be happening along with the rebuild- I've just got to keep my eyes peeled for a new fuel pressure regulator at a good price and maybe some nice blue rails to go with it...

• Like 1