Which Exhaust?

Well, as some of you may have read. My back box is knackered.

I was planning on getting a decat centre pipe anyway so may as well get a full new system (decat, centre and back box).

Just wondered what you guys had or would recommend? Ash has recommended the Toyo Sports one which looks and sounds great for the price. But that's also my only concern - £190 for the full system. Seems too cheap! Martin didn't seem that impressed either lol.

He did recommend the Afterburner Vortex but that's only the back box - so I've still got to source a centre pipe and decat which is a pain and it is expensive.

I want it to be either 2.5" or 3", absolute maximum of £400 for the 3 parts and it must emphasise that good old Subaru burble. Want it loud but not ridiculously so.

Any recommendations? And have any of you got the Toyo kit?

For a Newage Blob STi BTW

Thanks Jay. That Afterburner lot is very tempting but very expensive!!!

I've actually been researching that Toyo set since I got home. Everyone who has it gives it a very good review, only people who don't have it bad mouth it seemingly just because it is cheap. Although it sounds like it can be a pain to fit. The gearbox bracket in particular but the hanger can be bent to get it to fit. Some have also complained about it sticking out a bit too far passed the bumper on new ages - something to do with the down pipe being too long (classic shape length). I already have the afterburner downpipe so as long as the flange matches that I can probably avoid that problem. But I don't know for sure. I also usually end up being screwed over when buying cheap so still hesitant.

I'm going to chat to Exhausts Uk but they weren't very helpful when I last got one from them. I'll make an enquiry & see if they're any better this time.

if you go onto my turbo newbie post there are some pics of it on my bugeye, didnt stick out too far at all, and tbh like i said today people dont like it cause its cheap, if it made 280 on mine on a td04 ill stand by it tbh.

Exhausts uk were ok for me,mentioned that martin had recomended them so i don't know if that made the experience different, service could have been better like not replacing the turbo gasket? If they'd asked I'd have said yes anyway.

It wssn't the cheapest but it fits perfectly and I wanted two resonated sections in the centre, glad I did now as it's quiet enough at idle not to **** anyone off but has a nice sound when your on the move,

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

I've had a few cobra bit's in the past can't fault em and with a lifetime guarantee what's not to like .

my brv had a toyo sports cat back looked well made other than the use of a flexi in the downpipe (helps with the fitment issues a bit)

But duncan Graham (racedynamics mapper) told me to steer clear of toyosports headers as they performed worse than the subaru oe ones .

I'll be keeping the OE headers on, I'll just be porting them.

@ Gambit - I don't want a 2nd hand one to be honest mate. I've had 2 back boxes fail on me now which were 2nd hand. 1 on my CTR and one on this now. Plus I've had enough of getting !Removed! over by sellers. Very few things I buy for cars off other people are in good condition as they say. Usually ends up costing me more in long run to sort than if I'd just bought new, plus there's all the hassle.

I've had two toyo sports on my previous civics. Good solid exhausts for the money. Got full stainless on my civic coupe and it was quite loud so not sure what the volume level will be like on subaru ha

this is a link to my exhaust http://www.jperformance.co.uk/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-gda-gdb-catback-cat-back-exhaust-system-p-872.html

it was easy to fit and sounds great (I get lots of comments about how good it sounds, even Subaru owners asking what make it is cos that's how they want theirs to sound) I dropped the wife off and an old bloke (about 80) went walking past staring, I looked and smiled, he said 'that sounds really nice, it's one of nicest sounding cars I've heard in years!'

Dammit Dave! Yet another good option. Don't suppose you have a vid of it do you? Did a quick youtube search and got nothing. I don't think I've properly heard yours, or can't remember just how it sounded.

Unless you're around at the weekend, & I can have a listen in person haha :)

Yea, that'd be mint if you don't mind pal! I'm heading to G R Performance to discuss getting my works done and getting it booked in on Saturday morning so could maybe pop round after that? I'm hoping to have it all ordered and ready by the meet so if I can hear what it's like before then that'd be better.

Hard to tell how it really sounds in those vids. Popping and flames is always good though haha!

• Like 1

Yea that'd be fine by me. I'm not booked in at GR, just sorted a "pop in" thing with Gaz to talk over what I want and hopefully get it arranged so as long as I get there before they close it's all good. :)

Name a time and place and I'll be there or PM me your number and can sort something that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, bit of a ***** up here then. Since speaking to you (Dave) earlier about yours being a 3" bore and with mine being designed slightly differently I thought I'd double check this.

Turns out the link you posted was to the 2.5" system and there is actually a proper 3" one when you look around on the site.

2.5" - http://www.jperformance.co.uk/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-gda-gdb-catback-cat-back-exhaust-system-p-872.html

3" - http://www.jperformance.co.uk/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-catback-exhaust-system-new-age-p-369.html

Now my 2.5" should fit without having to modify it, whereas the 3" does require some jiggery pokery. It also doesn't have a resonated centre pipe so I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.5" is louder - which I wouldn't mind.

My only concern is what that 0.5" will cost me in power and torque when it comes to mapping. Do you reckon it's worth me returning the 2.5" system and getting that 3" one ordered. The 3" is slightly cheaper too for some reason....

Mine has a straight through Centre pipe too. The size depends on power you want, upto 400bhp there's not much difference, but if you eventually want over 400bhp, you will be better off getting the 3"

I've never heard the 2.5 so I can't comment on sound or volume

Personally, I would return it and get the 3" system

Which one did you get then!? Lol. If you look at the pic in that 3" system it has a resonated centre pipe. I can't find any with a straight through centre pipe and 3"