Tyre Squeel

MaximXLP

Hi All,

I'm a newbie on here, and have just bought a 2005 Forester 2.0XT.

Lovely car, but there is an odd thing with it .... the front offside tyre squeels when turning right (especially at lower speeds!)

Tyre pressure is okay (28PSI), the tyres are nearly new Yokhama Geolandars, and it's just flown through an MOT.

Should I suspect tracking & toe-in, or has anybody had similar.

Thanks, and looking forward to getting involved with the Forum.

Sounds like it's catching on something to me. Can you put it on full lock while parked up, then have a look around the wheel arch?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks David, it's a tyre skidding squeel on the road rather than something on the tyre, the same as you would expect from a tyre that needs air.

I'm thinking that if the toe-in isn't right, it may be crabbing a bit and 'dragging the tyre around the corner.

Are you sure it the tyre squealing & not the power steering pump pulley belt squealing on that particular lock at low speed.

Any sign on tread wear suggesting alignment issue.

Are the tyres new all round (important all tyres are evenly matched)

Would assume MOT would of picked up on any fault with suspension but could be wise give it a good visual as perhaps something could be slightly bent from likes of curbing at speed !

one of my previous cars used to squeal when turning or accelerating on certain types of tarmac. at first it was great fun in the underground car park at meadowhall, but it did get annoying after 5 minutes of driving around trying to find a space

does it do it on every surface? it might just be done to the tyre's

Thanks All! .... what a great Forum.

I think maybe a good laser set up as a starting point. This should show up pothole damage or mis-alignment.

Tyres are not 'budget', and are fairly new with all the same wear. This could have ben a recent pothole.

The car was a great low mileage find, driven only by an older guy who has had an MOT and service every year, and would never notice anything amiss (the downside is the bumper scrapes on all 4 corners).

Cheers

Will do.

To be honest, one idea was to sell it on and make a couple o' bob, but I've always had a passion for the whole flat-four thing, and my wife would rather we sold her RAV4 .... so it's a keeper!

Good call.....you won't be disappointed.

Sounds like you have an example as good as mine.....well looked after and all that. Mine's normally aspirated and approaching 136k now, but runs as well as any car I've ever had. I just love it!!

You have the joys of turbo too  :P

66K on this one, with leather, cruise, super-size sunroof etc, and no worse than the RAV4 on fuel.

Nothing like as quick as some Imprezas that I've driven, but suprisingly good fun for the weekends !!

66K on this one, with leather, cruise, super-size sunroof etc, and no worse than the RAV4 on fuel.

Nothing like as quick as some Imprezas that I've driven, but suprisingly good fun for the weekends !!

It'll be run in in a few years time then  :D

Sounds good & worth a little effort sort the niggles.

I would get a good check of complete front suspension/hub/wheel & obviously let them test drive if fault easy to induce prior to alignment.

Bumpers would be quite easy to take off & refinish, not super cheap for decent job but would make a clean car look almost new if done ...

Good luck with it .

every time i drive my Forester after i have driven SWMBO her Rav4 i have a  :)  on my face!

but it's getting dangerous since she told me that the Forester drives really well :o

keep her and have fun :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY - I have had time to grab the car and run it down for a £60 laser set up.

The screen showed that both back and from were wrong camber, so I had it all done, but not really much better.

The nearside front tyre is starting to seriously scrub out on the front now, so I need to get this sorted.

I've been recommended GDA in Fordcombe as my nearest firm to help with all things Subaru.

I'de much rather sort this than move the car on - everything else about the car is great!

I would set about checking all the bushes and top mounts for any excsessive play bud though I would have thought you would hear them knocking! Wheelbearing,, but again you would hear ιt ɑnd or feel ιt! Did the guys doing the laser alignment have no suggestions?

Have a read of my post #13 again.

really need check all suspension parts & mounting points to body on front thoroughly as something could be bent from curbing & not easily spotted.

I would suspect hub track arm bent but few other options ...

laser alignment is only as good as people using it & a good percentage of them make settings worse rather than better so choose your shop wisely.

With noise & rapid tyre wear your fault is quite major so decent shop would of found something wrong during alignment checks & visual checks.

Seen loads of Subarus with camber all over the shot as many garages not use to the concentric camber bolts on the struts & don't mark a base position when dissembling & don't check it after assembly.

It has just had an MOT, but that wouldn't necessarily show something bent and hidden, or camber problems.

I must admit, the bloke who did the tracking for me was struggling a bit.

I'm going to call GDA and see if they can recommend somebody who is experienced with setting up AWD tracking, and can spot anything amiss.

Really want carefully measure up hub assembly & suspension etc from bad side to one seems good.

Obviously with MOT you expect common faults to be seen but best it given a good looking right from the basics at as only takes 30 minutes.

Good alignment needs a good operator & I think you got unlucky this time :-/

Hopefully better luck next attempt.

I have had hubs on vehicles with bent arms by about 8mm & hard to spot till really pay attention, same goes for lower wishbones.

Thanks Mr B. I have a friendly local garage where I can use a ramp (usual Saturday morning social), but no time, so I've spoken to GDA http://gdasportcars.co.uk/ who seem to be very knowledgeable with a lot of Subaru experience, and booked it in for next Tuesday - they even have loan cars.

Without doubt ATS cocked it up - I've taken a look at their check sheet that they fill in when it arrives, and it states that all 4 tyres are min 7mm inner, centre & outer, so the tyre has scrubbed out since he did it!

It was £60. I really don't want them to have another go though! It's going to cost me a tyre as well.