Cost free mods?

Probably a major newbie question but...

As some of you know I bought a wrx sti hatch on Saturday and I can't wait to do some mods on it but with building my track car I have next to no money to spend. So as I'm new to the whole scooby scene I'm not overly clued up on it yet.

So does any one know of any free or very cheap tasteful mods?

Only two iv thought of yet are just

-weight loss

-intake silencer delete

And all I've done so far is air fresheners haha

Cheers guys

Exterior. Stickers is about the cheapest I can think of. Apart from tinting lights as you already mentioned in the other thread. Painting the grills, foglight surrounds, wing mirrors, lower part of rear bumper and spoiler a different colour.

Can't really do much to the engine due to remapping for any power mod. You could paint covers, fuse boxes, and other bits in the engine bay. Replace the small black vacum rubber hoses with coloured ones cheap and easy to do.

Interior. Again paint trim pieces. Cheap car matts colour coded to trim.

Painting stuff is cheap and if you take your time easy to do. Just make sure you prep everything properly 1st :)

Water feed to throttle body - remove and loop together. Stops water temp warming the throttle body. It's the to stop it freezing mainly in extreme weather conditions.

Sorry being dim...what benefits would you expect to see from doing that?

I did that on my last blob, not got round to doing it on this one yet.

The intercooler absorbs heat from the engine and warms air up a bit, so if the throttle body has hot coolant in it, that warms the air too. If you bypass it, it just keeps air intake temps a bit lower

• Like 1

How about Porting & polishing the throttle body? I did this on my saxo before I moved to itbs for the track engine. Just not sure if the benifits will be the same with the sti being FI and the saxo NA. What do you guys think as like I say I'm a noob the scooby but I am loving owning the scooby and I've only had it a few days haha.

Check out savages thread on his build - porting and polishing does feature but what I would say is you are potentially looking at the sum of all parts - ie one part in the whole induction system will not make a differenece

Is this.... https://twitter.com/gary_g2707/status/485377357424119808

The water feed to the tb?

And you say I can just take it and bung it up? Or do I need to link it up to anywhere?

There's 2 coolant pipes (one either side) so coolant can pass around the throttle body to stop it freezing in extreme cold .

You can just disconnect them and connect them together with a bit of small bore pipe (to keep the flow of coolant).

So in normal conditions you don't warm the intake air with hot coolant as it passes through the throttle body .

How do you lose power by having aircon?

The pump creates a resistance and in turn adds load on the engine via the belt. Any load on the engine will sap power & increases fuel consumption as the engine has to work harder to perform to the same level. I've read anything from 3bhp to 14bhp (old Jag) depending on age and type of car.

• Like 1

The pump creates a resistance and in turn adds load on the engine via the belt. Any load on the engine will sap power & increases fuel consumption as the engine has to work harder to perform to the same level. I've read anything from 3bhp to 14bhp (old Jag) depending on age and type of car.

Even when the aircon isn't switch on?

It will still cause a bit of drag but ,minimal hp loss imo .

That's why when chasing ponies some people put lightweight pulleys and flywheels on (so the engine can rev more freely) .

I haven't ever bothered fitting lightweight pulleys or flywheels myself .As although their pretty shiny and supposedly give a minimal increase in hp/balance , I have seen them loose torque due to having less mass while already rotating

The drain on the system in negligible when off. When it's switched on it draws the power from the engine. When the car is idling switch it on watch your revs, they will increase to compensate for the extra load the air on adds.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of a good one for a top mount intercooler sprayer

This is only if you use water in your wiper washer lol

Disconnect the passenger washer an connect a piece of hose with a washer sprayer on it and thread it through the rubber housing under the scoop and check the angle of spray secure with ties or whatever lol ,

One sti tmic water cooler sprayer you could even have 2 sprayers this could be done with what most people have laying about in tere shed etc ,,,,and this would improve performance if you were sitting in traffic for ages ,and getting heat soak ...

I have thought about rigging something from the aircon to cool a tmic [emoji6] i went fmic recently and haven't got A.C on my uk turbo anyways .

But hey with all that extra pipework I've even thought about running a supercharger to cut lag .....or spool a big turbo even quicker [emoji39]