Oil Consumption

Hi all

I hope you can help
I have a 2000 Outback EJ25 SOHC Manual 
I have recently had the head gaskets replaced, valve steam seals replaced, new cam/crank seals ect ect .

I have not had it long so I do not the full history with regards to the head gaskets leaking/over heating but the engine now runs sweet as a nut and have no leaks what so ever.

No noticeable blue or white smoke either however...................

It using so much oil. From my understanding the capacity is 4.5L. I find I the oil level is at MIN after around 500miles of driving after making sure it is at MAX.
This seems way too high.

Any advise or help on what to check would be very much appreciated

1L over 1000 miles is about the point where a serious issue is there. If its been recently built and its using alot of oil i would suggest either the rings havn't bedded in properly, hasn't been built right or something internal has failed.

Thanks for the reply.

The rings were not replaced.  I have checked the compression on all cylinder and all good and within 2psi of each other.

Could this still mean the rings are worn/knackered?

Other thank the loss of oil the engine is very strong and feels super tight.

If they were bedded in originally then when they went back in they were rotated they would not be align properly. For the cost of a set of rings im amazed they didnt replace them given its not huge money.

Get someone to stand behind the car as you boot it off through gears from a standing start and see what's coming out the exhaust, you won't notice it "burning" oil at speed as your travelling and it's being dispersed very quickly

OK, so I have booked a leak down test however it looks like the oil control rings are either gunked/stuck or worn out.

So I am going to look at replacing the oil control rings, however I have a number of questions:

1) Is it worth replacing the compression rings at the same time?

2) if yes to the above with the cylinder walls need a hone?

3) Will I need oversized rings or the standard OEM sized ones?

On 31/05/2017 at 8:25 PM, Piggysniffer said:

Get someone to stand behind the car as you boot it off through gears from a standing start and see what's coming out the exhaust, you won't notice it "burning" oil at speed as your travelling and it's being dispersed very quickly

....or not...