Pipercross filters, do they filter?

Brick

Eyup.

I've previously posted about mysterious damage to my Pipercross panel filter. It is a mystery.

But what has just struck me is that when I look at a bog standard or K&N panel filter they always have crap on them. This is a good thing. A clear indication that the filter has done a fine job. I've never seen any crap on my Pipercross and before you say the obvious, it was the same before it gained it's mysterious hole. Putting this filter on made a big difference to performance and a throatier sound BUT is this because it's very expensively doing bugger all to the air flowing through it? Recently got an Impreza III (love it) and was going to Pipercross it too but I'm going for a K&N panel filter I reckon.

If you have standard airbox then go with a cosworth panel filter.i have a pipercross cone filter on my hatch wrx,it cost me £30,before that i had a £230 k&n cone filter on but got broke so i changed to the piper.car drives exactly same and my cone gets dirt on it i just cleaned it last week.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

K&N is oiled so has a chance of oiling up the MAF. I've used pipercross before and had no issues, remember the light side is the clean side, the rough black stuff on the bottom is the first part to get hit with the dirty air. Cosworth is also a very good choice

It did make a good difference the Pipercross just never seen anything on it and I've never had this before. Previous ones just bog standard Mann or whatever, changed every year, knocked out dust every month. Pipercross never had dust, wasps, feathers etc.

Had a pipercross in the rx for a year, it did have the odd bit of dust or gravel in it but nothing came through to the mesh side. But I did have a lot more crap in the bottom of the air box itself and the resonator box underneath whereas the standard filter just clung onto everything 

Just fitted a Pipercross Pro R panel filter.

The stock filter looked like it'd filtered my pond, with the addition of flies, wasn't pretty. 🤢 

As far I'm aware, the 3 separate layers in the Pipercross allow the large and medium particulates to be stopped before they combine with the fine ones to create a layer and clog the filter completely.  

Even the best single layered filter can't let through air if it's covered in all the different sized particles.

I'll check mine in a month or so and update.