First scooby.... decisions, decisions

Noobaru88

Hi all, just a quick intro and question from another newbie! I’m from bucks and I’ve finally decided on my on either a late UK2000 or bugeye WRX for my first scoob. The dream is a 55 wide track STI PPP but I don’t have a garage to store it and right now I need to hold on to my current diesel for long distance work mileage.  

I’m considering a couple and was hoping you guys might be able to give me the benefit of your experience  :D

Bug 1: Wagon, £2,500, 53k miles, Y reg, FSH (most recently by reputable guy - tim farmer), MOT til march (no advisories on last couple), 8 Owners  :mellow:, owner says there's no suspension knocking/rear top mount probs, clutch is solid (but judders when first started cold),cambelt last done in 09 (25k ago)

Bug 2: Wagon, £3,990, 64k miles, 52, reg, Prodrive pack (don’t know about owners, history and MOT yet)

I know the WRX isn’t going to be as quick as the STI but still reckon they’d make a decent weekend car and will finally scratch that Scooby itch! My initial thoughts are that ideally the £2.5k one would be best as it’s more affordable and when I want something with a bit more poke, I will eventually (hopefully) be able to get the PPP STI. Main concerns tho are that 8 owners is A LOT and sometimes early cars off a new model production line can have teething problems (clutch judder???)

Sorry for the essay but any thoughts would be a massive help!

Cheers 

Hello welcome, Clutch judder when cold is normal, I'd do cambelt and associated items as although it's not reached the mileage mark, age of it would be my concern.

8 owners isn't uncommon either for these it's nearly 14 years old, as for more poke theres always plenty of options to get more out without heading for the sti

I would stay away from a car that had 8 owners. Must be a reason for that and it sounds a bit cheap for me. ( second warning light is on already for me )

Maybe I am too picky but be careful with rushing in something that you will regret later. Keep looking sooner or later you`ll find the right one.

MOT history is just a thing and you won`t no about hidden bugs so for me is good to have that but does not count too much. Bring the car to a car mechanical and get it checked. The owner should not be afraid of this.

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

I'll start with I wouldn't worry about owners more so with these cars, I have seen so many people say about this. Yes it could be because it's a bad car and is getting shipped off every few months because people don't have the funds to look after it. But I have seen a few that have had a lot of owners and are still great cars. People will buy these then realise it's not suitable for their needs we have had someone this week post and say Hi then matt see the same car on eBay :( Like my car it was sold and bought by the same owners 5 times back and forth  :lol: I still have no idea why. And it's an early 2001 bugeye. Not to saying Snoop-y is wrong, but more for food for thought or looking into the paper work. But I agree MOT paperwork doesn't always mean anything but no advisories is good unless done from the same Garage might have been a backstreet garage. 

The prodrive pack is nice to have and would say it's been looked after but I would always want some sort of paper work with it. For me out of the 2 you have listed I'd maybe go for the 1st one and use the extra money to spend on mods it doesn't cost loads to soon tune them to 300BHP and thats a WRX you can go to 350. which is past a STI standard anyway :)

All I can say anything second hand is a gamble it really is. You could go VW, Ford, Vauxhall, and still have problems. Like the lass next door to me got a Vectra well damaged not much in the way of paper work. Had no oil in the gearbox at all luckily spotted that and it's still running for now that was last week, but starts ok and no problems with gear change at the minute so think it was saved. Just annoyed I now have to buy some more oil for when I change my calipers :D

Anyway I'd look at both take for test drives we have a guide HERE 

Has some of the members add to this so worth looking into and having a read down the list. But Clutch gearbox Big End failure and Headgasket is the big worry at the end of the day. The brake calipers do suffer from stuck pistons also but thats not a problem we have a chap on here that refurbishes them for a living on here :) So if you take them both for a test drive, report back anything worrying you. That will be better off that way as a report back on both car, all being well give us more insight  :)

I also found looking further for these cars was a great help, to find one you're completely happy with I traveled for both mine :)

• Like 1

Cheers all, the input is greatly appreciated! Glad to hear the cold clutch slip is normal, I think I’ve read about it on a couple of other forums but would be interested to know if anyone on here has experienced it? I hear that pulling away with a bit of clutch slip and plenty of revs sorts it out at least for a couple of months and it goes away once warm anyway. The 8 owners is definitely my main concern and definitely agree with Snoop taking a local scoob expert or a mechanically minded mate to give me a second opinion.

The car is in Cambridge and I have heard good things on the forums about Tim Farmer. Does anyone know anyone else good in that area? The AA wanted £260 quid to look it over which on a £2.5k car is a bit of a joke!?

Thanks for the guide and the common faults, will definitely be adding that to my stack of research and hopefully won’t get fleeced!

Hi and welcome [emoji6]

Think they're was a member on here a while back with a low mileage bug wagon from Cambridge , I pointed him in the direction of tim farmer as he asked me if I could do his cambelt .

I'll have a search and see if I can find some info

edited

as I found his post and it was a 05 wrx wagon not a bug

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks to everyone for your continuing support on this one! Good news on the clutch judder, i emailed the garage that has the prodrive bug this afternoon but the chap who knows about it isn't back until tomorrow. Depending on what he says about history and the condition of the car, once ive driven it i might try a cheeky offer below asking.

What do people think of the asking prices? Snoop mentioned he thought the non-prodrive bug seemed a bit cheap and i have to admit that was my first thought too but then again it has 8 owners so perhaps thats why hes knocked it down a bit. Will have to see if i can find some up-to-date contact details for Tim

Cheers

I have to say matt ur classic looks mint in that photo - I missed out on a low milage Uk2000 the other week (one owner 55k £3.1k) which was a shame.

Sorry Gambit, am I being dense or is that post about an imported auto legacy rather than a UK WRX bug impreza... May be missing the point though!! :huh:

Found out some more info about the prodrive Scooby from the garrage 

"car has only had 2 owners the last owner was a lady who has owned the car since 2007, there is no engine knocks, no advisories on the last mot, the clutch is really good no judders or slipping and the car drives as it should with no suspension issues, there is no oil in the rad"

They haven't had the service book in yet but the cambelt "looks like it has been recently changed" but apparently the lady who most recently owned it didn't drive it very much... perhaps it hasn't been serviced annually but not sure if that matter so much as long as the oil has been changed every 5k?

I have to say matt ur classic looks mint in that photo - I missed out on a low milage Uk2000 the other week (one owner 55k £3.1k) which was a shame.

Sorry Gambit, am I being dense or is that post about an imported auto legacy rather than a UK WRX bug impreza... May be missing the point though!! :huh:

cheers mate, keep thinking about selling it as i dont use it , 

Matt - Dont doooo iiitt!!!!

Gambit - DROOOOLLL! you have shown me the light lol

The prodrive scoob I am looking at has those headlights, is that a standard prodrive thing?

No mate rare as rocking horse **** them light to get now Morettes their called can still get them but I've seen the price getting pretty high on them now when being sold I have a pair on mine only ones I like, I'd have probably sold on my bug if I hadn't been able to get them. :( But the prodrive ones are nicer over the standard ones.

Real Prodrive Headlights look like this a lot of fakes about 

prodrive%20style%20R.jpg

Ah kl, well they look good all the same. This may sound like a daft question but does anyone have any idea how the acceleration/power in a hawk STI would compare to a bug WRX prodrive? Parkers puts the hawk at 276bhp and 0-60 in 5.2. From what i can find out its 245 - 265 for the PPP and 0-60 of around 5 which sounds pretty good to me, i also hear it has better low down torque than the equivalent STI. Turns out the dealer PPP i am lookin at comes with a 15m warranty too... is becoming more n more tempting

Found out some more info about the prodrive Scooby from the garrage 

"car has only had 2 owners the last owner was a lady who has owned the car since 2007, there is no engine knocks, no advisories on the last mot, the clutch is really good no judders or slipping and the car drives as it should with no suspension issues, there is no oil in the rad"

They haven't had the service book in yet but the cambelt "looks like it has been recently changed" but apparently the lady who most recently owned it didn't drive it very much... perhaps it hasn't been serviced annually but not sure if that matter so much as long as the oil has been changed every 5k?

No offense, but do you really think a woman changed the oil every 5K ? Or just the seller says this. Where did you get that info?