Any problems if we use 95 instead of 98?

Martin959

Im thinking about using 95, since I will be using the car for working mainly and its quite cheaper :P

Would anything wrong happen to the car if I start using 95? 

Thanks! :D

I put normal unleaded in mine 1 day from morrisons just to get to the Shell station were I fill up,all most straight away you could feel difference,it was real lumpy,a don't no if it just cause supermarkets get the **** petrol to sell it cheap.a allways use Shell,bit more expencive but can feel the dirrence in my opinion.

• Like 1

Because the impreza run hotter than the average car 95 Ron is less stable in the chamber. This is what causes knock or pinking. post-3548-142652991093_thumb.gifthe engine picks up on this and retards the timing. (Basic picture borrowed from Google) excessive knock can cause damage. [emoji4]

• Like 1

I run mine on 98 but it's say 95 minimum in the book. I have seen on 5th gear they did a test and am impreza had a 15bhp gain over supermarket fuel if I remember correctly. It's about £5 a tank more so got to work out if it's worth it to you. I have thought about using Shell basic fuel to see if I can feel a difference.

All cars sold in the UK must run on 95 so I guess it will work but who wants to risk it for a few quid.

--

I make Films and Website for people

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess in case of emergency, is fine then... :) 

Believe it or not, here in Spain not every gas station has 98... just for the record if someone is coming to spain with the scooby :P

• Like 1

Get it mapped for both [emoji5] have my vpower standard map and an emergency supermarket/95ron map incase i ever get caught short

How do you switch maps?

Or is it use like the standard ecu that just looks at the timing depending on the fuel.

--

I've an esl board in my ecu so if I want to change map I have to go through a process of turning the ignition on throttling up turning off and releasing the throttle pedal (i think) then the management light will flash once or twice depending on which one I want.

Not used it yet as only been running the twin maps for a month and I have half a dozen Shell stations with vpower within 5 miles of Leeds City Centre

I think in the U.S. you get 93 and 95 as super so we should be ok running on 95 if that's the best they get however it should be better running on 98.

--

Yes ,iirc jap have 101ron...........maybe higher now as i am going back a good few years. Our petrol is not the best,fuel in the USA is crap at best................but boy is it a lot  cheaper :(

Not as cheap as Saudi though..........................19p a litre of super!

• Like 1

Wow we all drive subarus in the wrong part of the world. They must look at us and think w are rich.

But yer the yanks think 25+ mpg is very good.

--

Wow we all drive subarus in the wrong part of the world. They must look at us and think w are rich.

But yer the yanks think 25+ mpg is very good.

I worked out my average mpg to be about 19.5 so far, 25+ would be incredible!

Tesco momentum is 99RON and about the same price as other garages SUL (my local one is only 97). Worth it if you happen to be near one... I think I payed about 114.9 last time and fuel's pretty pricey around my way.