Strange noise when rear wheels use traction

Martin959

Hiya everybody! Sorry I dont come here too often since I moved :(

I have a problem with my scooby and its that sometimes when I switch gears (usually downshifts) the scooby makes some weird noises coming from the back, I changed the clutch because i tough it was that... but nope... apparently the noises are coming from the back and specially when I do a downshift or the rear wheels have to traction (e.g. uphills)(a "cla cla cla..." sounds appear from the back... and disappear when I get some speed...)

I have been reading in some other forums that usually is because of the rear axe wheel bearings... what do you think guys? I doubt is the rear differential, its something that its quite hard to break, and i usually drive my scooby like a granny... xD

Thanks!!!!!! :D

Do you know when it last had a rear different oil change and have you checked the rear different oil levels lately ?

I think it's quite unusual for both rear bearings to go at once so you'd normally get a "humming" noise when cornering (when the worn side is under load) try Jacking the back up and check for any top to bottom and side to side play in the rear wheels and give your rear tyres a visual check while it's in the air

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Do you know when it last had a rear different oil change and have you checked the rear different oil levels lately ?

I think it's quite unusual for both rear bearings to go at once so you'd normally get a "humming" noise when cornering (when the worn side is under load) try Jacking the back up and check for any top to bottom and side to side play in the rear wheels and give your rear tyres a visual check while it's in the air

Yes I took it to a mechanic here in Spain, and he look the oil, and it was good, I changed the oil when i put the sti v3 gearbox... Yeah, might be, this "cla cla cla cla...." does it usually uphill... and when I do a downshift it does weird noises coming from the back, but doesnt sound like the rear differential itself, sounds more to the exteriors of the car... I guess its the bearings because the suspension doesnt change when I shift gears...

Also I heard a noise like the machine that the butchers use when cutting meat.. but that might be the brakes i guess :P

Is the car a sti if not did you fit a matching rear diff ?

Yup, when I changed it, the guy changed everything, the rear diff and the gearbox... :)

Yeah, they say that the "Anti-roll bar kinkage rubber bush" are deteriorated, all 4 of them, front and rear ones... but i guess that cant be the noise... since its not related when I do a downshift or on uphills... 

Nicee, still I think im going to change the rear bearings since its also not that expensive and may explain the "clan clan clan clan..." (until it does traction...xD)

giphy.gif

• Like 1