New Owner of a Subaru Sumo 4WD

El Creepo

Hello to you all!

I've recently purchased a 1992 Subaru sumo 4WD van, beginning to feel like I may have underestimated the complications in owning something so unusual.
Took it for a service and found out the sump has corroded and needs replacing.
The garage told me they would not be able to source one and so far I've had no luck finding one myself. Haven't even been able to find any kind of workshop or service manual.

I'd really appreciate if anybody could give me any tips or advice on the matter. 
Would be nice to hear from anybody who might have owned one of these in the past!
Many Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome!

That's something really different. I just had a quick google of what they were and Wikipedia said they had the same engine from a justy, although I can't guarantee that, if it's correct you'd be able to find a sump and the workshop manual (for the engine at least)

Knowing subaru's interchangeability of parts is really quite likely.

Best of luck

And some pictures are always appreciated!

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

post-4850-0-29818700-1438644276_thumb.jpThat's a great idea, thanks for the advice. I'll have a look around and see if i can track a justy service manual/ sump.
This is actually the first vehicle I've ever owned so it's going to be a bit of a learning curve
Oh and here's a photo!

• Like 2

Cheers matt, the gaskets don't look like too much of an issue, I can find them, it's just the sump pan itself which is a problem to find. Gonna take it off this weekend and have a look at it, at the moment it looks like having it welded is going to be the way to go.
Found a couple of justy pans on eBay. But I think the plug on them is in a different position which would mean I wouldn't be able to drain the oil once it was on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

hi just bought subaru sumo automatic. n reg .great condition  . needs a new engine  the size of engine taken out was a650cc. cant get  see any for sale on net also cant find any sort of repair manual . need help please regards allanb

My sons sump had rotted out bad on his Kia picanto, I took it off, plated it with stainless, filled with petrol to check for leaks, then painted and replaced. Jus a tip, if your welding anywhere up near the sealing face, put the sump upside down on a strong bit of wood and screw it down tight with every sump bolt hole otherwise there is a fair chance the welding will pull the metal around and distort the sealing face, and don't remove from wood until cold

wcome to the forum 😎

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 03/08/2015 at 11:48 PM, El Creepo said:

Hello to you all!

I've recently purchased a 1992 Subaru sumo 4WD van, beginning to feel like I may have underestimated the complications in owning something so unusual.
Took it for a service and found out the sump has corroded and needs replacing.
The garage told me they would not be able to source one and so far I've had no luck finding one myself. Haven't even been able to find any kind of workshop or service manual.

I'd really appreciate if anybody could give me any tips or advice on the matter. 
Would be nice to hear from anybody who might have owned one of these in the past!
Many Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Hello El Creepo and Nigefen, I don't know if you're still around but I have a 1992 4WD Sumo that I've been (very slowly) fixing up for a few years. I still have a lot of welding to do but I'm hoping to get it done this year. I've got a mountain of spares with some duplicate parts that I could swop or sell, including service manuals. Message me if there's anything you need, if I haven't got it I might be able to point you in the right direction. I'd also be very interested in buying a Sumo that's already on the road, if you're thinking of selling. El Creepo - I'm sure you've got the sump done by now, but it's possible to weld them (they need to be bolted down to a board first to prevent distortion). There's a guy in Germany who does it - for example see this page on his website http://liberalix.de/html/checkliste_liberokauf.html (he runs a German owners club and has a lot of good information).

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Just imported my E12 to UK from Malta where I have owned it since 2004. There are plenty of E10s and a few E12s all sold with windows and classed as a glass panel van. Mine I have known from new it was protectol wax oiled when new and I had done again in 2004. To date it has only done 36,716 miles. Originally it was in Km but I have converted it to mph and while I had the speedo out changed the reading to show miles. The only problem I have is the only overlay I could get goes up to 110mph when it should be 90mph so it reads out the faster you go, so if any one has a spare UK speedo please let me know. I love the car and my son who has his own company valeting and detailing prestige cars spent two days preparing and putting a three stage coat on the paint and it now shines like a mirror. Hope for some replies.

Yorkie

On 1/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, Subarumo said:

Hello El Creepo and Nigefen, I don't know if you're still around but I have a 1992 4WD Sumo that I've been (very slowly) fixing up for a few years. I still have a lot of welding to do but I'm hoping to get it done this year. I've got a mountain of spares with some duplicate parts that I could swop or sell, including service manuals. Message me if there's anything you need, if I haven't got it I might be able to point you in the right direction. I'd also be very interested in buying a Sumo that's already on the road, if you're thinking of selling. El Creepo - I'm sure you've got the sump done by now, but it's possible to weld them (they need to be bolted down to a board first to prevent distortion). There's a guy in Germany who does it - for example see this page on his website http://liberalix.de/html/checkliste_liberokauf.html (he runs a German owners club and has a lot of good information).

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Yorkie, I have a spare speedometer, photos below. It's a bit dusty inside but I think the overlay's in good condition and should clean up nicely. Yours for £20 inclusive of postage if you want it. I could put it on eBay if you like, or we could sort out another method. Send me a private message if you're interested. Cheers. 

speedo 1.jpg

speedo 2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Almost a year old now this post. Wondering if I can revive the question if anyone has it knows where I can get my hands on a Sumo Service Manual. Just purchased a 1992 Sumo, Japanese inmost to the UK, and while it runs alright it could use a good tuned some TLC as I begin working on it. Any suggestions on manuals and parts supplier would be appreciated.