Will the 2017 car tax changes see the return of big dirty engined scoobs to the UK?

david1972

Been reading up on this tonight.

From 2017 the annual car tax rate for new cars priced under £40k will be £140, regardless of emissions. The first years tax may clobber you, but the clever motorist will buy pre-reg or ex demo?

In effect, a 2017 wrx sti will be £140 a year to tax.

Happy days set to return.....

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

it's got to make bigger engined cars easier to sell and more popular.

one reason I wouldn't buy a newer Impreza is the £500 road tax. £10 a week for road tax and it would sit on my drive 6 days a week and only go on the road for 2 or 3 hours on a sunday

• Like 3

Been seriously weighing up the idea of the 500 quid tax bracket cars, I use mine as a daily so would get my money's worth, although I'd resent paying it, it's only another 200 + more than I pay already, but for those who don't use it as a daily then it doesn't make much sense, unless yours stupidly rich then it doesn't make any difference,

The problem with this is that rich people who have lambo's etc maybe only do 2k miles a year so it makes the argument of bigger polluting cars a bit of joke, I guess with the small under 99kg emmissions band too many people were going down that route d the government has said hey up were missing out here

• Like 2

Hopefully I'll only have to pay for one year at £485 then ill be onto the new rate. It's definitely a fairer pricing system. Why should the cheap to run cars that are on the road a lot more pay less. I think the new system is much better

The new system isn't retrospective so your current tax will not change.

I currently have a £500 a year road tax car as a daily and having just paid it for the year has made me look at other cars. Also with diesel dropping in price along with the better economy its looking more and more like that could be the best option for most.

However I love my impreza so who know what I will end up doing.

Its fair to say road tax is an issue with running a performance car but its not the biggest issue for me as we are only taking about £350 a year or a saving of around £30 a month its not the end of the world.

I never realised that thanks Alex. So there will be 2 different tax scales then looks like I will have to get a new mustang in 2017 ;)

Yer I was excited at first hoping the road tax would drop.

The big question now is do we try to sell our £500 a year road tax cars now before most people notice the change is coming or wait until after 2017 when a car with £500 a year road tax will be hard to sell.

To be fair anything that you can get 30mpg out of isn't really that bad, i've ranted before and i'll rant again, just ban disel busses from city centres carbon emissions slashed eu targets hit, public transports !Removed! anyway no where near other cities in the world, i can drive to work park and what not for cheaper than a weakly ticket, i don't have to sit with a load of knob heads listening to music or generally disrupting other people for a laugh, besides if i don't want to drive(childcare necessatates dirving most days) i can cycle or walk, wheres the incentive for me to get stuck in a line of 4 busses all Going to the same place for an extre 40mins onto my journey

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

It's all interesting though, as I can see bigger engined cars holding their value well again if they are 2017-on registered. Never thought I'd be able to say that [emoji2]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk