LPG ? Daft not to!

Lpgc

Any Subaru, regardless of spec will run the same on LPG as on petrol if converted properly...

Enjoy Subaru performance but only pay half price for fuel!

Attached files show one of my straight forward H6 LPG conversions

If anyone needs help with LPG related issues, or if you're looking into having you car converted, send me a message...

post-5504-0-65710000-1450216078_thumb.jp 

Simon

This 6 cylinder Subaru has been converted properly to LPG by myself.

Technically correct install with parts selected to suit the technical spec and design of the engine - Horses for courses regards components, a better idea than fitting pretty much the same components on every vehicle as long as the installer knows his stuff, 

80 Litre tank fits exactly in the spare wheel well without raising boot floor.

Performance on LPG indistinguishable from petrol.

Saves owner 40% on fuel costs. 

IMG-20150515-00566_zpsmbjcddsn.jpg

IMG-20150515-00565_zpsdkvnt9u0.jpg

IMG-20150515-00564_zpsh9rvvctf.jpg

Simon

How long would an lpg conversion take to pay itself back and then start saving money?

Let's say on average I spend £40 on petrol per week which gives me 41(9.2gal)litres of fuel and I get 25mpg. In total 230 miles for my £40. What equivalent figures would I be seeing with an lpg set up?

Lots of mad man maths but trying to look at the long haul investment.

I would love lpg, but what would I do with my spare wheel??? Major downside is the tank for the gas takes up so much room. A mate has it on his Range Rover, and has removed the petrol tank, and replaced with a gallon tank (as petrol only used for starting), and the lpg tank is where the old petrol tank used to be, so no loss of boot space.

How long would an lpg conversion take to pay itself back and then start saving money?

Let's say on average I spend £40 on petrol per week which gives me 41(9.2gal)litres of fuel and I get 25mpg. In total 230 miles for my £40. What equivalent figures would I be seeing with an lpg set up?

Lots of mad man maths but trying to look at the long haul investment.

230 miles for £40 would become more like 400 miles for £40

I would love lpg, but what would I do with my spare wheel??? Major downside is the tank for the gas takes up so much room. A mate has it on his Range Rover, and has removed the petrol tank, and replaced with a gallon tank (as petrol only used for starting), and the lpg tank is where the old petrol tank used to be, so no loss of boot space.

Many new cars come without spare wheels anyway...

Where appropriate, many customers prefer the LPG tank to fit in spare wheel location - so you can either put spare wheel in boot or carry a can of instant tyre repair (like those vehicles that don't come with a spare wheel). Other tank options are a cylinder tank (retain spare wheel but then there's a cylinder in boot).

Most Range Rovers have tank in spare wheel location.

Putting it like this - I will charge you £1000 (for a 4 cylinder car) or £2000  year (for a V8) per year for the privilege of carrying a spare wheel - or you don't pay that £1000  or £2000 if  instead of a spare wheel you carry a can on tyre repair.... put things into context!

Simon

Don't think my spare wheel fits the car any more since moving to 18's anyway. Haha.

What's the effect on lpg to a modified car? With custom maps and so on.

Most subaru mappers recommend running on v power so is it another map for running on lpg?

Would be useful for me doing motorway miles but still have the petrol set up for fun.

--

I make Films for businesses and people. I also make websites.

I will keep my £1000 (a year????) and my spare, and not have to sit for a couple of hours on the hard shoulder, admiring my lpg tank, while waiting for the recovery truck, as my tyre is shredded and a can of goo is of no use. 

That is context.

I would rather wait for Subaru UK to import the hybrid, which would be much cheaper to run. It might be OK for some, but not for me. Then again, perhaps I could buy my mates RR, that would be a deal.

Don't think my spare wheel fits the car any more since moving to 18's anyway. Haha.

What's the effect on lpg to a modified car? With custom maps and so on.

Most subaru mappers recommend running on v power so is it another map for running on lpg?

Would be useful for me doing motorway miles but still have the petrol set up for fun.

--

No problem with LPG on modded or remapped engines. LPG has a far higher octane rating than VPower petrol, so if an engine is remapped with more boost and/or more advanced ignition than standard there is less chance of a problem such as detonation on LPG than the same engine running on petrol.

You wouldn't need to switch back to petrol for fun or sporty driving, car should feel just as powerful on LPG as on petrol, you just save loads of money on fuel and because of that may feel more inclined to have fun more often... having fun becomes more affordable!

Simon

I will keep my £1000 (a year????) and my spare, and not have to sit for a couple of hours on the hard shoulder, admiring my lpg tank, while waiting for the recovery truck, as my tyre is shredded and a can of goo is of no use. 

That is context.

I would rather wait for Subaru UK to import the hybrid, which would be much cheaper to run. It might be OK for some, but not for me. Then again, perhaps I could buy my mates RR, that would be a deal.

Maybe my wording wasn't great, I'll reword here -  If the Chancellor said you had to pay between £1000 and £2000 per year extra for road tax if you carry a spare wheel, would you pay the £1000 to £2000 extra or would you take your spare wheel out? You've implied you'd pay the spare wheel tax, do you reckon most people would do the same?

Context, see if we're on the same page - Maybe you have been unlucky and had a blow out or shredded tyre on the motorway - The type of tyre damage that an aerosol of instant tyre repair could not repair? Most people go year in year out without ever using the spare wheel? The majority of punctures don't involve blow outs or shredded tyres? Most punctured tyres can be inflated with a £15 !Removed! lighter socket compressor and the vehicle driven to the tyre shop at owner's convenience for the tyre to be repaired (maybe after a few days of inflating with the £15 compressor), spare never used in these situations? The next most common type of tyre failure involves situations like nails through tyres, where the tyre goes down too quickly to keep topping up with a £15 compressor but this type can be repaired with an aerosol of tyre repair? Very often where people suffer blow outs on the motorway it's because they previously damaged the tyre by kerbing or didn't keep an eye on a slow (operative word) puncture, not great practice anyway? Recovery services are available that will get your vehicle home (or in some cases to wherever you want) if you have a flat tyre? If so concerned about not carrying a spare, you could put the spare in the boot when you don't need the boot space? If your full size spare would take up too much space in the boot, maybe you'd consider a space saver spare to put in the boot instead of a full size spare? Fewer and fewer new cars come with spare wheels at all these days anyway - Time may come when those carrying a spare wheel are in the minority, where any spare they want to carry may have to go in the boot anyway, particularly in the case of hybrids?

Hybrid - Not available yet, will it have a spare wheel or will it have batteries etc where the spare usually fits? You mention motorway driving - How far do you reckon it will be possible to drive on electric at motorway speeds before the engine kicks in and you're running on full price petrol or diesel again? If you're looking at long term ownership, how much money will hybrid save long term over petrol/diesel compared to LPG savings when cost of replacement batteries is factored in?  

Simon

I don't know how to edit my (above) post, so I'll add to it here...

If, in the very unlikely event I suffered a blow-out on the motorway (would probably mean I'd been careless and kerbed tyres / not kept eye on pressure etc), and WAS stuck for 2 hours waiting for the recovery man to come pick my vehicle up (and deliver it back to home or wherever I wanted), then while I was waiting for recovery man I'd be looking at my LPG tank thinking - Well I'm stuck on the hard shoulder but I'm effectively getting paid £500 to £1000 an hour for it! And the same is very unlikely to happen next year, when I can expect that LPG tank to pay me £1000 to £2000 without me having to stare at it on hard shoulder...

Simon

How much would an lpg conversion be for my 3.0 six cylinder outback? (The same engine as in your pictures). It's an auto if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would charge you £1295 for the conversion and would need your car here for 3 to 4 days. I do a very thorough job!

Being an auto makes no difference - the engine is converted, as far as engine is concerned it could be driving a manual, an auto, or a boat's / aeroplane's prop.. 

I believe the owner of the vehicle I posted pictures of (and converted) above comes on this forum.. If interested I could ask him if he'd be willing to chat with you, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Simon

My WRX Wagon is LPG'd and stage one remap 280BHP

Have been running LPG on my camper van for years so this was not anything new to me. My spare wheel sits in a cover behind the passenger seat, doesn't bother me. Mine was not done by Simon, it was done by Dougie Martin in Glasgow.

45 litre tank fills for £24 odd and gives me around 220 miles of spirited driving, when the car was remapped i just turned the LPG system off. The LPG kit then got remapped for £15. The LPG kit also needs a annual service and new filter £30 all in.

Normal driving you just don't notice the difference, hit the button and it turns back to petrol on the move with no issues. I plan to keep the car, but regardless the LPG kit puts a smile on your face when filling up :-)

• Like 1

That's good to know from someone running about the same power I would expect from mine.

Will be getting remap done next month so once I am happy with the power level of the car will be looking into lpg as an option. Can not get it in my village but have seen it not far away about 60p so very tempting.

--

Starting work on LPG conversion of yet another 3L Outback tomorrow. 

Have converted a lot more 4 cylinder turbo'd Subaru's to LPG than H6 engines - there are of course a lot more 4 cylinder turbo'd Subaru's around than H6's. All run well on LPG, particularly if appropriate parts are fitted, fitted correctly and system calibrated properly. 

Had a few owners of high power stuff phone in the past, seemingly with their mate sat beside them and for the laugh, probably expecting me to say 'sorry we cannot convert your model'... But they're wrong! It doesn't matter how powerful a vehicle is, can still be converted to LPG, and besides, they should remember that power figures are always relative - What may seem big power figures to owners of 4 cylinder turbo vehicles my seem paltry to owners of big block supercharged V8s - We convert big block supercharged V8's, no problem.

Some turbo'd engines can make much more power on LPG than on petrol - That's due to the way the boost is managed (boosted until onset of pinking and then boost backed off). Since LPG has a higher octane rating than the best super unleaded petrol you can buy, can run higher boost before the onset of pinking. On such engines you get more more power on LPG than on petrol with no other mods necessary other than the LPG conversion. 

Simon

• 6 years later...

@Lpgc Hello all sorry I'm a newbie here

A month ago I have bought a subaru H6 3.0 from 2004 in amazing condition and i had the head gasket, chain and water pump and petrol pump all completely replaced. It also has an LPG system fitted

When I took it for a long drive the other day I filled up with LPG at the same station as I always do, anyway I also had more than half a tank of petrol,  I noticed that when I was driving on gas the petrol was also going down? Is that normal  I was LED to believe that on LPG it would either run only on LPG or on petrol, not both together. anyway, 400 km later the gas finished and so did nearly half a tank of petrol .. no smell of petrol in the car at all or any sign of leaks

Any advice more than welcome

Sometimes on full throttle the LPG injectors can't keep up with demand and the LPG engineer programs the system to inject a certain proportion of petrol when full power is demanded to assist smooth running.

It might be that your system needs recalibrating or there could be a fault, you'll have to find an LPG workshop with the correct software for the make of your LPG system fitted to your car to get it diagnosed.

My Forester XT is set up like this, on full throttle it injects a small amount of petrol, on lower throttle openings no petrol is injected once it switches over to LPG.

While its being looked at, if it hasn't already got a working flashlube system fitted i would get one installed, or the engine will almost certainly suffer from valve seat recession at some point.

• 1 month later...

7 hours ago, bhuvahh said:

You missed out posting your own comment when quoting Rizmo (above).

Is LPG/propane a thing in Texas?

• 1 month later...