ECU help

JamesJDMwagon

With the mods I don't know if it will run particularly smoothly with a standard ECU given the freer flowing intake and exhaust? You may just be putting money in for no return

I was thinking I wasn't too far off a version 2 sti in spec so I was going to wack a z4 ecu in and it might run a bit better then the 3b I have. It was £60 on eBay. I really what a apexi power commander but I shall have to save my pocket money 😉

Just want something so its drivable 

To be honest, I'd go for an esl board, apexi are getting a bit long in the tooth, and there's hardly any user support these days,

Esl offer a whole host of extras on thier stuff. Jay's just been on one of thier mappong courses.

For a totally un biased view of both speak to @savagebulldogs as he's run both at some point on his cars

• Like 1

The v1 sti runs a sa ecu but it runs 380 grey injectors, I can't remember if the v2 sti runs 440 cc yellow injectors (a quick Google would probably tell you)

I mentioned that as I'd imagine that you would at least need a standard ecu that runs the correct size injectors . Otherwise the fuelling would be miles out and you'd risk bore wash .

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Did it originally have grey injectors ?

Even if you get a ecu with a map with the right injectors the decat and bigger rollerbearing turbo would cause boost at a different point in the fuelling map .

So if you do intend on driving it (especially on boost ) I'd turn the boost down to 0.5 bar max and get it on a dyno where afr ,knock and detonation can be monitored.

As for mappable sub £1k mapped ecu's in early classics I've had a v3 uk with esl which did seem to always run a bit rich ,but it was running noisy forged pistons and mafless with a air intake temp sensor .

Apexi is definitely old tech but I personally like being able to monitor parameters live on the controller and can't afford a ecu with a toucan display.

I see your logic with putting 440's in as you have added bigger injectors but I'd have thought that when you're off boost it's running quite rich and its a bit of a gamble as to whether you're running lean due to the mods on boost . Maybe you'd probably be better off refitting the greys ,resetting the ecu and running low boost untill you can afford to get a remap.

You could be fine but without seeing the afr ,knock and detonation levels , I wouldn't want to advise you change fueling and airflow. It might go bang and cost you a lot more in the in the long run [emoji53]

Put greys back in asap, as you will be over fuelling way too much as all injector pulsing will be based on original injectors.

Extra boost is not big issue some believe it to be, as long as air is measured the ecu will add fuel & as long as injector duty not max out you should be good on fuelling, makes no difference when or how boost is delivered as long as max boost within capability of air measurement & fuel input. 12psi should be fine but check it on RR or wideband, if don't want do that turn it down before it ends in tears.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all your great advise I really appreciate being able to pick your brains. 

This morning a reset my ecu and dropped grey (380) injectors back in and turned down the boost to 10psi. 

I'm going to have to speak to the people at ESL to see what they offer. 

Really want to make the most of the vf22 and its hard to find anyone with a similar build. 

• Like 1

No problem bud.

How's it running with the greys back in ?

I sold a v1 / v2 esl'd ecu for £150 a couple of years ago ,so if you're lucky enough to find another second hand one, you could possibly get that mapped for £250 ish .

Or if you're confident enough go on the esl mapping course ,buy the data cable and map it yourself.

Otherwise I think a esl board fitted and mapped will cost around the £600 mark

Yeah I'll keep an eye out for one. I'll email them wouldn't mind some extras 😉 (Anti lag) but it will take a couple of months. 

Car runs and drives still faster then standerd ( as far as the butt dyno can judge) but there's hesitation when boost hits and idles a little rough but that's probably ICV.  It made a big difference loosing the factory boost control I never used to hold boost.

can vouch for the ESL product - with your car you will be able to do live mapping with the ESL ECU. The ECU from ESL comes with all the base map settings from Subaru.  Cars running mafless do run rich particularly off boost.

just done the course so all theory at this point - investing in knock / det box and an old STi to start :smile: the practical plus investing in premises

cost varies dependant on use of rolling road or not and between tuners as Savage said you are looking about £600 all in maps tend to be starting from £250

I have got a couple of test subjects lined up to practice on also

• Like 1