How much is a good WRX up to 2006 worth and is it worth getting an sti of that year

Alejo

Well why have a burger when you can have steak lol

If u can afford the sti theres not even a decision to make go for that

6 speed

Brembo brakes

Much more versitile engine

Chances are eventually you will want more power and spend the diffrence from a wrx to an sti anyway so save yourself the messing around and buy the sti 🍑

How much u wanna spend?

Depends what you want out of the car as a good wrx is 4-6 thousand £ while a good sti is 8-11 thousand £

You can have a wrx put out upto 350bhp on its stock internals with around 1k of mods

for wrx a vf35 turbo, 565cc fuel injectors, panel filter, sports cat/decat exhaust, fuel pump and spark plugs with a remap all thats needed to go any further with performance mods past 350 bhp you risk blowing up the 5 speed gearbox.

the sti is capable of around 400bhp before you spend big money on engine rebuilds as uprated steel rods & forged pistons and an uprated clutch are recommended past that

I personally love my wrx and couldn't afford an sti when I bought it and wanted to also have it as a project car to overtime build it up myself to how I want it while teaching myself how to do it all :) it's my daily car for the current time so more than happy with it.

An sti would be on the cards for me when I finish building up this wrx and can afford to get another more sensible car as a daily and save up the difference and sell my finished project on and choose an sti that I would then have bigger end goals for.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hudson said:

I been quoted less than £500 from one the best :) those 1k of mods are not all needed to still get a good remap with worth while gains :)

define the best? lol

well known mappers who have a good name and well proven results on road and in competition, it will always be down to personal preference and opinion on who's best or who to recommend so I won't start a debate on who I think is best etc. 

A good mapper makes a bespoke map catered for you and your car which may not always be about max hp so the 'best' could be split into more than one category but in general I would put the best handful down to well known names who have a high profile name in the subaru world that you rarely see any negative news about.

3 minutes ago, Hudson said:

well known mappers who have a good name and well proven results on road and in competition, it will always be down to personal preference and opinion on who's best or who to recommend so I won't start a debate on who I think is best etc. 

A good mapper makes a bespoke map catered for you and your car which may not always be about max hp so the 'best' could be split into more than one category but in general I would put the best handful down to well known names who have a high profile name in the subaru world that you rarely see any negative news about.

Biggest issue is people claim a mapper is good despite them having poor practices, let alone lacking in tech knowledge or any morals to put things right when they go wrong, which every mapper/tuner/garage have from time to time no mater who they are.

7 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

£250 map? good luck with that lol

Yeh the guys I use charge £100 an hour... so if all goes well and not many issues then it's not overly expensive. Highly reputable local garage to me... guy only does dyno mapping. Garage have always been good to me as well... can't fault them.

Edit: Altho, unfortunately they no longer have the dyno... mapper and dyno have moved on! Will be Andy F for me when I eventually go for more power :D

1 minute ago, Rps said:

Id rather have aids than have anybody that isnt a subaru specalist touch mine but thats just me lol

My garage have mapped their fair share of Scoobys that's for sure! Everytime I go in there are at least 2 or 3 scoobies getting serviced or worked on

Im not sayin anything to add a spark to fuel im just voicing my opinion aboit my personal garage so im biased lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Rps said:

Im not sayin anything to add a spark to fuel im just voicing my opinion aboit my personal garage so im biased lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Everyone has their own preferences! Not many performance garages around me unfortunately...

The thread has sort of wandered off the OP's subject but there is some good stuff about mappers above. I also believe it is personal preference and opinion.

In fairness, looking at this totally objectively, how do you score a mapper ? I mean, one with good rep is going to score well. But what is the measure of good rep ? Someone who works on one brand and is always busy ? Someone who tunes the cars and none have issues after "x" amount of time ? Someone who remaps cars exactly to the liking of the owner every time ? Someone who takes a considered approach and doesn't go for the most aggressive output, taking on all aspects ? All of these combined ? More items I haven't mentioned ?

It's quite difficult really. Most will follow what they hear from forums and there's nowt wrong with that. But just slinging the mud at this - remapping is not something everyone does frequently. If you use a garage for servicing your car, for example, you probably get a flavour of who is good in the area and who is bad, by experience and ditching garages that didn't work for you. Seeing a remapper every few years isn't going to bring you this wealth of experience. All you know is that you used Joe Smith 50 miles down the road and it worked out for you. But John Smith 100 miles away might be better for what you wanted but because he is unknown and many people encouraged Joe, you won't know about John's work - and probably nor do they. It really is a subjective thing. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 6:40 PM, Daz-RSK said:

The thread has sort of wandered off the OP's subject but there is some good stuff about mappers above. I also believe it is personal preference and opinion.

In fairness, looking at this totally objectively, how do you score a mapper ? I mean, one with good rep is going to score well. But what is the measure of good rep ? Someone who works on one brand and is always busy ? Someone who tunes the cars and none have issues after "x" amount of time ? Someone who remaps cars exactly to the liking of the owner every time ? Someone who takes a considered approach and doesn't go for the most aggressive output, taking on all aspects ? All of these combined ? More items I haven't mentioned ?

It's quite difficult really. Most will follow what they hear from forums and there's nowt wrong with that. But just slinging the mud at this - remapping is not something everyone does frequently. If you use a garage for servicing your car, for example, you probably get a flavour of who is good in the area and who is bad, by experience and ditching garages that didn't work for you. Seeing a remapper every few years isn't going to bring you this wealth of experience. All you know is that you used Joe Smith 50 miles down the road and it worked out for you. But John Smith 100 miles away might be better for what you wanted but because he is unknown and many people encouraged Joe, you won't know about John's work - and probably nor do they. It really is a subjective thing. 

Issues will pop up, how they act to sort it out or fob you off is the important bit for that, there is also how often? once in 50 maps, or every other map?

Time is what it is, however when there are thousands of settings, it's not a 5 minute job to go in a change them hence why 20 mins isn't enough to map a car.

Given that in this context we are talking about road cars then getting every single BHP out of it can push it beyond the level of safety aka reliability. This is what is important in my eyes, when you see mappers consistently getting higher figures than other then ask yourself why?

There is also working practice, a car mapped on a dyno can sometimes have det on the road. If a mapper isn't road testing after a map that is pure bad practice, none of the well regarded mappers would dare not do this part.

Fault finding, if a car isn't taking timing, or more boost, or is detting, or missing why is that? can the mapper figure out the issue to allow it to be put right, or will they just bodge round it?

Tech support, what backup does a mapper have? Sensors are known to be pretty limited in their reliability, so does the mapper have spares available or are you left paying a bill and not getting what you pay for because of a fault?

Final one is blatant dodgy results. Dyno outputs are very easy to manipulate, i've seen a 1.6 none turbo make 350 bhp (was done as a joke at a RR day), they are also fairly easy to pick up, when you see a mapper constantly having questionable graphs its another concern as to what he/she is trying to hide. Or do they simply not have the knowledge to understand the problem, which is a major concern as well.