Wrx and sti block

So am curious what the diffrence in a wrx block to a sti block,i no the sti has better internal parts but are both block the same or is their a diffrence.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Depends on the year I think as I always thought they had closed decks until I saw some ej25's that were semi closed, and labelled up as sti short bolcks, also had extra breathers on some too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As I understand it from teh research I did prior to buying teh hatch - the blocks were the same between WRX and STI - as you say internals differ on earlier models buuuuuut IM am not convinced the hatch internals do either - all the stuff I found prior to buying the hatch in WRX vs STI spec related to chassis and I/C not engine internals - but happy to be corrected on that, maybe if they did differ from the factory some of the reported failures may not have happened???

• Like 2

Reason am asking is becouse you see sti engine for sale fairly expensive but wrx you can get for next to nothing compared to them.so if you was building a engine new pistons and everything you may as well get the wrx if your only after the block and they are the same.thats my thinking anyway 😀

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

And you have to factor in Jdm engines being different to the rest of them,

The pistons are different between years too shamelessly stolen from import car parts site relating to ej207's.

The Block Also has the Factory Forged type pistons not the hypereutectic Cast type pistons like the JDM Cars After 2002

Piston numbers 12006AB430/12006AB440

And on the ej255/257

It comes with the new Induction Treated crankshaft which has now replaced the Nitride (black) Crankshaft. 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jay762 said:

As I understand it from teh research I did prior to buying teh hatch - the blocks were the same between WRX and STI - as you say internals differ on earlier models buuuuuut IM am not convinced the hatch internals do either - all the stuff I found prior to buying the hatch in WRX vs STI spec related to chassis and I/C not engine internals - but happy to be corrected on that, maybe if they did differ from the factory some of the reported failures may not have happened???

STI has hyperetic (or how ever its spelt) wrx had cast pistons. Both types are a back of crap though to be fair. Hyper is just a heat treated piston effectively.

2.5 short block hasn't changed much since it was first released, its now on revision 4 iirc but the changes were very minor and more to do with casting and additional fixings for things but they are mainly the same engine. Although as mentioned further up there is an open deck and semi open deck version.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 8:48 PM, kershaw-330s said:

Isn't the wrx just a fully open Dec ej255 block and the sti a semi closed Dec ej257

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I remember reading this somewhere.