Winter tyre size

Norrie

Ok I've managed to find a set of 17" alloys to use as winter wheels and I've seen a set of 235/55/17 winter tyres.
Do you think that they would be ok. The wheels are the same size as originals 7j with a 48 offset. 
Thanks.
Norrie.
Hi norrie
mine were 225x55x17
Car was unstoppable in winter conditions seriously

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yeah I know 225 is the original size but the ones I have came across are Dunlop winters 235. There practally new and £200 fitted. I got the wheels for £120 and they've just been refurbed so not to bad. I don't fancy running the stock wheels in the winter as I reckon the salt will kill them.

Norrie 

• 2 months later...

Door card label states 215x55x17 snow tyres on our XV (2014 model)

Kept the winter set from my recently sold Legacy Spec B tourer which is in the above size. Sat on 17x7 et48 OE Forester XT alloys. Popped them on over the weekend for the anticipated eastern showers predicted

Taking what looks to me like the original set of Geolanders off and shocked to see that all four tyres have a large amount of cracking on the shoulders. There is only about 2mm left on all four so will be looking at some all season very soon.  Going for 235's this time so the speedo reads correct and for a little more cushion.  Nokian Weatherproofs  maybe ?

Not really had snow on the island for 8 years but had a feeling we might this time. After opening the curtains this morning think I made the right decision:biggrin:

The XV is mainly my other half's car and she absolutely hates the Forester 5 spokes on it. I admit they do look a tad dated :rolleyes:

TTH9QBH.jpg

Decided on a set of Michelin Cross Climates in 235 55 17. Got a good idea of how capable they were this evening. Gale force winds, drifting snow, minus 3 degrees etc and was pleased with how they performed. Very reasuring steering feel and braking characteristics on compacted snow. 

I have these on the current Yeti and I’m impressed with the low wear rate and I improved road noise as well as the running in hot, wet and winter conditions.  They would be certainly on my list of tyres, did you get the standard Crossclimates or the SUV version?

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

I have these on the current Yeti and I’m impressed with the low wear rate and I improved road noise as well as the running in hot, wet and winter conditions.  They would be certainly on my list of tyres, did you get the standard Crossclimates or the SUV version?

Pretty sure these are the standard version. How would one know if the SUV type ?  They are XL and have a better speed rating then the OE Geosquealers that they replaced

I think they are pretty new but if you “google” Crossclimate SUV you’ll get the info.  The tyre sidewall I think says  CrossClimate SUV and employs a stiffness zone in the side wall and double casing.  I’ve no idea what this does or if it would be any benefit on the XV.  

The standard CrossClimate tyres I’ve been using are very good, there are some interesting YouTube videos comparing 2x4 fitted with CrossClimate and 4x4 with standard OEM tyres.

Cancel that they ARE SUV cross Climates. You can see it in the pics :blink:    I didn't request this version so perhaps its the size that determines whether the SUV classification

5 minutes ago, Hatchi said:

Cancel that they ARE SUV cross Climates. You can see it in the pics :blink:    I didn't request this version so perhaps its the size that determines whether the SUV classification

Interesting.  A couple of questions have you noticed any difference in ride quality as the  Crossclimate has a strengthened wall over the standard Crossclimate?  Your tyres are 235/55 R17 are they on 7J  rims?  The XV I have on order has 18” rims and is spec’d for 225/55. Not sure that I’d be able fit 235/55 R18 on the 7J rims on the XV 2018 model?

Ride quality is definitely improved but then there wasn't much meat on the Geolanders on purchase.  The 235's have a 9mm larger rolling radius which is a 1.42% increase

As for the alloy width. Yes a 235 should in theory be too wide for a 7J but we put the 235 Cross Climate against the original 225 Geolander and they were marginally wider so we could only put that down to the difference with each manufacturers tread pattern and sizing

13 minutes ago, Hatchi said:

Ride quality is definitely improved but then there wasn't much meat on the Geolanders on purchase.  The 235's are obviously have a 9mm larger rolling radius which is a 1.42% increase

As for the alloy width. Yes a 235 should in theory be too wide for a 7J but we put the 235 Cross Climate against the original 225 Geolander and they were marginally wider so we could only put that down to the difference with each manufacturers tread pattern and sizing

It definitely true that each tyre manufacturer has slightly different specs and sizing.

6 hours ago, shms said:

AFAIK 215x55x17 is not available in the SUV version of the x-climates...

You can get that size in CrossClimate and CrossClimate +,  I think the SUV version is “new” so like all the tyre types they introduce them in the most popular sizes initially.  As many of the CrossClimate tyres seem to come with an extra loading, XL, then I wonder if the update too the SUV tyre would make much differerence under normal driving conditions.  I’ve been very happy with the standard original CrossClimate tyres on the Yeti and have driven in some pretty appalling conditions around Derbyshire in all seasons.