Intermittant Steering warning light issue

Hatchi

2014 2.0 Diesel XV

Before I take it in to a main dealer I wonder if anybody else has experienced the issue?

In the last week my wife and I have experienced four occasions where the steering warning light has come on  (red steering wheel with exclamation mark)

The first occasion was approx 1 minute after starting the car. My wife had just exited our driveway and was steering straight when the power to the electric steering cut out shortly followed by all power. Luckily she was only traveling at approx 10mph down a single track so no drama but still😮

As all the power was lost all the dash lit up so she had no idea what had gone on.  We tried to replicate it at slow speed but all was well............until... two days later I started her up and as soon as I turned the wheel the power to the steering went and the warning light on its own (mentioned above) lit up.  Unlike my wife's incident power remained to the rest of the car ?  The only difference is I wasn't moving.

The cars power to the steering has since gone twice on me since in the last three days and both times as per our second incident when the car was at a stand still.  Both times the ignition is turned off, left to stand for a couple of minutes and then all is well.

I have tried to replicate the issue with the wheel turned and straight before turning on the ignition but either has triggered the power failure

Am I correct in thinking the power steering is controlled by a module and is it likely the fault will have triggered any fault codes?  

I don't want to take it to a dealer for them to tell me they cant replicate this issue and all seams well

44 minutes ago, Hatchi said:

2014 2.0 Diesel XV

Before I take it in to a main dealer I wonder if anybody else has experienced the issue?

In the last week my wife and I have experienced four occasions where the steering warning light has come on  (red steering wheel with exclamation mark)

The first occasion was approx 1 minute after starting the car. My wife had just exited our driveway and was steering straight when the power to the electric steering cut out shortly followed by all power. Luckily she was only traveling at approx 10mph down a single track so no drama but still😮

As all the power was lost all the dash lit up so she had no idea what had gone on.  We tried to replicate it at slow speed but all was well............until... two days later I started her up and as soon as I turned the wheel the power to the steering went and the warning light on its own (mentioned above) lit up.  Unlike my wife's incident power remained to the rest of the car ?  The only difference is I wasn't moving.

The cars power to the steering has since gone twice on me since in the last three days and both times as per our second incident when the car was at a stand still.  Both times the ignition is turned off, left to stand for a couple of minutes and then all is well.

I have tried to replicate the issue with the wheel turned and straight before turning on the ignition but either has triggered the power failure

Am I correct in thinking the power steering is controlled by a module and is it likely the fault will have triggered any fault codes?  

I don't want to take it to a dealer for them to tell me they cant replicate this issue and all seams well

No, I’ve never heard of the steering light coming on. 

• Like 1

Any chance this is related to the wiring harness recall? Have you had/do you know if the loom has been checked?  Not sure if it was fixed for the 2014 model, but might be worth a check as that sounds fairly dodgy. 

Hope you get it sorted!

Let us know what the outcome is.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

Any chance this is related to the wiring harness recall? Have you had/do you know if the loom has been checked?  Not sure if it was fixed for the 2014 model, but might be worth a check as that sounds fairly dodgy. 

Hope you get it sorted!

Let us know what the outcome is.

Yes we have been verbally informed our vehicle has had the harness recall and check by the main dealer we purchased from although I have yet to see any written evidence as its all done online.  I will be double checking now

Will post up the outcome

16 hours ago, stuartie said:

Could also be the steering angle sensor on its way out 

Thanks