My Subaru XV/Crosstrek (2018 model) first winter drive

GGMan

On 11/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, ernieb said:

Thanks, looking good.  I've just changed the OEM tyres to CrossClimates in anticipation!

How do you find the Crossclimates? Do they have the "3 peaks" snow flake symbol?

Ian

I've used the CrossClimates on my previous car, Skoda Yeti, it proved to be very good in all kinds and types of weather.  We travel from home to Derbyshire very frequently during the yea including the winter months.  they have coped with quite heavy snow, 30cm, with no problems. They are "3 peaks" and retain there breaking and steering performance as the temperature drops below 7oC, unlike "summer tyres".  They are made of a mixture or natural and synthetic "rubber" so retain there flexibility as compared to "summer" tyres which go hard as the temperature drops.  The breaking performance is retained throughout the year. 

In the Subaru they feels well planted and I'm very happy with the ride and lower tyre noise as compared to the OEM tyres that were fitted. 

Before the CrossClimate tyres I used to do the summer/winter tyre change over, which meant storing one set of wheels/tyres when the alternate set were fitted as well as judging when to make the change?

Check out some of the YouTube videos of tyre comparisons, its very convincing. 

On the Subaru I’ve fitted the CrossClimate SUV version of the tyre.  I got mine from Costco when they offering £80 off a set of four.  Just checked Costco are making the same offer till the 25th November, bought on line.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ernieb said:

I've used the CrossClimates on my previous car, Skoda Yeti, it proved to be very good in all kinds and types of weather.  We travel from home to Derbyshire very frequently during the yea including the winter months.  they have coped with quite heavy snow, 30cm, with no problems. They are "3 peaks" and retain there breaking and steering performance as the temperature drops below 7oC, unlike "summer tyres".  They are made of a mixture or natural and synthetic "rubber" so retain there flexibility as compared to "summer" tyres which go hard as the temperature drops.  The breaking performance is retained throughout the year. 

In the Subaru they feels well planted and I'm very happy with the ride and lower tyre noise as compared to the OEM tyres that were fitted. 

Before the CrossClimate tyres I used to do the summer/winter tyre change over, which meant storing one set of wheels/tyres when the alternate set were fitted as well as judging when to make the change?

Check out some of the YouTube videos of tyre comparisons, its very convincing. 

How do you find the mileage on the cross climates? My OE Geolanders have done 61000 miles on my XV and still have 3-4mm left.

Ian

I've only done a few K on the Subaru but used them on the Skoda Yeti, there was still plenty of rubber after 34K when I sold the car so I've not run them to end of life.  I think when I sold the car there was 5/6mm so should give many more miles.

However, I bought the tyre in particular for it's wet and cold/wet performance which is what we seem to get most of the time in the UK.

The SUV version of the CrossClimate is what I have fitted on the XV and I done about 2K and it shows no signs of any wear.