Seriously oversized Hyperflow TMIC issues

Vortex

I've got one of those haha issues:

I bought a hyperflow TMIC on eBay for 280 which seemed like a decent deal since STi ones go for 250. Problem is it is larger than an STi intercooler. Much much larger. Since I have a WRX I've got to change the intercooler tray (the metal thingie that sits between scoop and TMIC) and the scoop itself because it won't fit the STi TMIC tray.

But even this one is small for the hyperflow, about 1 inch smaller in width and half an inch in height. Has anyone ever run across one of them, installed one of them? Apart from just ignoring the difference in size, I don't know what to do (I'm prepared to ask a colleague to design me a custom one in CAD but that will be super pricey).

I'll upload some pics soon.

Cheers,

A.

Here are the pics. The beast in all its glory, then the WRX intercooler tray (see how small it is compared to the intercooler?), then the STi intercooler undertray, and the gap left on the side.

I'm thinking maybe I can remove the rubber skirt and see if I can use something similar but slightly wider/larger.Hyperflow Top Mount IntercoolerHeight seems fine

IMG_5375.png

IMG_5376.png

IMG_5377.png

@Jay762 That is actually a very good idea. I think the stock brackets should fit the hyperflow, it is supposed to be installed using them. I'll give it a try sometime in December and see if it fits. I could also use the existing undertray and open it up about an inch with an angle grinder, but I can easily see how a mock-up cardboard tunnel would serve as a fibreglass mould! Thanks for the idea :-)

Got around to fitting the hyperflow this weekend. I was just testing it to see if/how/where it would fit, but sadly I can't get the OEM plastic hose to fit on the turbo again, so I decided to leave it there (I know i'll have a boost drop). It is quite larger, but it fits. The rubber seal of the intercooler tray is seriously pressed against it, but it fits. I've also noted some blow-by oil in the manifold and old intercooler that got me worried, so I'm looking into installing a catch can, and maybe a PCV delete. Also, I got a fibreglass hood scoop and a second hand hood, so once they are painted they will get installed.

IMG_5434.png

IMG_5441.png

IMG_5442.png

IMG_5445.png

IMG_5450.png

• Like 1