Project unknown

mattiekane

So, where do i start?

i guess, from the beginning.......

I bought a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi with 84k on the clock, well looked after, clean in good condition, never raced or rallied, one middle aged owner......... and a couple of other owners that where not.... 

1538464490_imprezagate.jpg.d284441977c730175970c1fcf9a75523.jpg

During my ownership i have cleaned the STi.....

749808136_imprezaclean.jpg.c477011ef05720dddde69c5b449cb393.jpg

I have drove the STi.....

693382641_imprezawork.jpg.2032fbf7e030294d20103b9234d94492.jpg

i took it to TOTB....

2122821909_imprezatotb.jpg.3a24f7657365fb14f6efbd7bc478f518.jpg

i also took it to scoobyfest.....

160900345_imprezapolice.thumb.jpg.ec49c0471ddc895838bf00e83d1fea10.jpg

i also had some fun in the snow....

1625522026_imprezasnow01.thumb.jpg.a09ac21f5a366232a7551023a602a78f.jpg638830963_imprezasnow02.jpg.52fd23ffc00ad7914a4fbbed8adfd27a.jpg

then things started to brake.....

300221665_imprezaramp.jpg.18f61a8c93add8cd07bbea118127fe4a.jpg1917189903_imprezarad.jpg.26dc68d48c85b911c8f909ef6a7522ad.jpg1879749615_imprezabrake.jpg.926b35a90d6b9681610edaf92d39bc84.jpg2138449784_imprezaclutchold.jpg.56c49e853c190c0da11677435a6ca459.jpg748028736_imprezaclutchnewpad.jpg.0dfc860d5379d4312e338b64878b3775.jpg

Got the new brakes on, new rad fitted, then the clutch started slipping so i threw in a paddle clutch, and just when i thought i may get a few miles of trouble free motoring...

Knock Knock.....

no its not a joke, there is something inside the engine that knocking to get out so ive decided that rather than wait for it to make its own door through the block ill pull the lump and find out whats going.

so, this is where i leave the thread for now, 3(ish) years of ownership have brought us to this point...............

• Like 3

It's sat at around 119k now, so got a few miles out of her, but you know how it when something breaks, it's never enough lol

I think I've resigned myself to a rebuild, just not sure what spec etc yet

Loud pipes save lives

Yeah i know what its like my bugeye was an absolute nightmare. Radiator burst (usual plastic top bit). Paid my mates mechanic to replace rad/ water pump and timing belt kit. Car never felt right and soon after had misfire cels in every cylinder 😔. Had to then pay an actual mechanic to sort the timing (i have a picture of how badly it was done somewhere, will dig it out) . Then front calipets started sticking. Exhaust fell off holes appeard in chassis ect ect could go on lol. Still loved it even though it was a wee sod ... so i bought another wrx ofcourse much to the annoance of my mrs lol. 

Rebuild it mate you will thank yourself im sure everyone on here would say the same. 

Standard pistons and rods in a ej207 are supposed to be good for 450hp ,so a standard spec rebuild would be plenty power for most . I dare say it really depends on your target power and budget . Although you'd probably be better off buying a new crank ,the standard x drilled nitrated crank is good for 700 hp (so probably not worth upgrading)

Unfortunately you won't know how much damage has been done to the pistons and bores/block untill it's stripped.  Just bear in mind that the semi closed deck is rated to 450hp,  so if you do need new pistons and /or block ,that it's not worth buying 750hp rated internals unless you upgrade the deck type 😉.

Best of luck , bud 

• Like 1

I was thinking of replacing the crank regardless, partly cos im very tempted by going 2.1, but then I think what's the point may as well just go standard crank, as you say its good for 700bhp-ish, so maybe conrods and piston upgrade just to future proof, chances are it wont get over 400-450bhp, but if I'm already in there, why not. but then if imp doing that I should really source a closed deck block other wise its a waste of money if there is still a "weak link" (The block).

so I think:-

Closed deck
standard crank
upgraded rods and pistons
oil pump
gaskets
etc etc

I have a new water pump and timing belt as it was about due one anyway.

2 hours ago, mattiekane said:

I was thinking of replacing the crank regardless, partly cos im very tempted by going 2.1, but then I think what's the point may as well just go standard crank, as you say its good for 700bhp-ish, so maybe conrods and piston upgrade just to future proof, chances are it wont get over 400-450bhp, but if I'm already in there, why not. but then if imp doing that I should really source a closed deck block other wise its a waste of money if there is still a "weak link" (The block).

so I think:-

Closed deck
standard crank
upgraded rods and pistons
oil pump
gaskets
etc etc

I have a new water pump and timing belt as it was about due one anyway.

as said, if your replacing the pistons and rods then may as well get the 2.1 kit, only difference it the crank. there's no repalcement for displacement as they say

• 1 month later...

So, got the front of the engine pulled down the other week, found the timing out a tooth, no reason why from what I can see, also can belt tensioner not looking overly great, have a cambelt kit with water pump that's been waiting to go on, so going to fit it all(tensioner included) and go from there, just need to find the time now todo itb8182b97f2dcf874dc45d62c54b062e2.jpg

Loud pipes save lives

• Like 1

What's the plan Was it knocking or just running rough ? 

If it wasn't knocking are you just gonna Correct the timing and do a compression test to check for damage?

Buy a Sealy avcs pulley locking tool , for the sake of £20 it saves a lot of hassle 😉

What's the plan Was it knocking or just running rough ? 

If it wasn't knocking are you just gonna Correct the timing and do a compression test to check for damage?

Buy a Sealy avcs pulley locking tool , for the sake of £20 it saves a lot of hassle [emoji6]

Not so much of a plan, as much of just wing it, there was a knock, but if you YouTube Impreza tensioners knocking it's very similar to what I was experiencing (I wasn't aware of this issue till after I'd stripped it so couldn't really "test" it

As you say, correct timing and compression check, not got a locking tool, relying on good old paint pen(it's not failed me yet in 12years lol)

Hopefully will be able to get the extra bits I need at the end of the month and get her back together , well finger crossed I will anyway!

Loud pipes save lives

Just be carefull as the left bank cams are under pressure due to the cam lobe position at the timing Mark ,  so as you release the belt they'll spin . 

You can only turn them in 1 direction to 're align them when refitting the belt , or intake and exhaust valves will make contact (possibly damaging the valves)

I'll see if I can find a pic to show you what I mean ,bud 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fairly productive afternoon, scoobie is rebuilt, off to filler her up with coolant and water after my tea4819b1c353eeb1b3ab9474f174ef0542.jpg, also sorted my gearbox oil leak, snap ring on the shaft hadnt seated correctly when I put my shaft back in(giggerdy),4d1730d99f32ac98c26bd84fc275c7fd.jpg 10min job and hey presto, at this rate she will be back on the open road tonight

Loud pipes save lives

• Like 1

Filled up coolant and gearbox, took it down a "Private road" and she goes like the clappers again!!

Tooth on the timing made all the difference!

Got a minor coolant leak some where that I'll look at over the weekend, brakes are a bit meh after using other cars for a few months they really have shown them selves up, so need to look at them too.

Best news tho,

NO ENGINE KNOCK!!!!!!

So much for a rebuild lol

Loud pipes save lives

• Like 3