2005 Subaru WRX STI Prodrive - OVER HEATING ISSUE - Advice Please

DarkKnight22

I have an issue with my car, it was previously over heating, I took it to a garage about a month ago, who identified that the Radiator needed replacing which they did. Now tonight, took it for a run down dual carriageway for about 4 miles, then city driving for about 2 miles and the temperature gauge zoomed straight up to red area, I pulled over to let it cool down, 5 mins later I drove to home (about another half mile) and flipped the bonnet. Checked the levels, all fine, I checked the oil for white goo, nothing. Totally at a loss, at the cause. My car is standard running 300 BHP (Prodrive upgrade from new), I’ve owned the car 9 years, it has 85k on clock and never wanted for anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

I'd personally let it sit a run with the header tank cap off, with the blowers on hot and flat out, wait till it starts warming up so your know the coolant is moving round, try "burping" the rad pipes by giving them a squeeze (carefully they will be hot)
Then when it doesn't seem to warm up any more(won't reach full operating temp) refit the cap back on and take for a drive like you did and see if it's cured it. Failing that take it back to the garage that fit the rad

Hope that's helps

Loud pipes save lives

The above works best if you can get the front end quite high as well, park uphill, jack the front if the car up, or use ramps. 

Also a non spill funnel works wonders. Enables the air coming out to be replaced with coolant straight away so as to not draw in any more air. 

Definitely worth burping the system, after just 100 miles I would take it back to the garage to check everything was put back properly for peace of mind. The less time/mileage you put on it post the garage swapping the radiator the more likely they will be to take liability if they are at fault in any way.

Not that you are trying to play the blame game or anything but obviously you want to make sure that everything has been done correctly, overheating issues picked up and resolved early will save you in the long run!

Best of luck :)

Thanks for all your advice guys, it’s a been really appreciated. 😀

I took the car back to the garage which fitted the radiator, after a bit of investigating, they had established, that the radiator had emptied its self, via an oil cooler pipe, which had come loose. They bled the whole system and road tested it. It seems fine now. 

Thanks again.  

• Like 2