Safety Recall

ernieb

Just received a recall notice.  It states that there is a potential problem that might effect the starting of the car and needs to be booked in for checks.  These involve the reprogramming of the Engine Management Module and the possible replacement of the ignition coils if found to be defective. I've managed to get it booked in on 16th December and been told it might take about an hour.  I was also told that the problem is effecting about 1% of XV cars but I'm not sure what the range of manufacturing years that are covered by the recall, mine is 2018.

I've also asked them to run the car around the block as I can hear a low rumble when coasting which seems to come from the front right (offside) wheel.

Hi,

Haven't read any received letters about this yet, but have searched on the internet and have found that XV models maufactured between 1.1.2017 - 6.8.2018 are subject to a recall due to faulty PCV valves (Positive Crankcase Ventillation). This can cause engine problems, losing power etc. Haven't noticed any problems with the performance as yet....

Greg

10 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Wow possible bearing gone as well?

I'm just not sue what the noise is. it's a low frequency rumble is the best way I can describe it.  I just thought it was a good opportunity to get it checked out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg127 said:

Hi,

Haven't read any received letters about this yet, but have searched on the internet and have found that XV models maufactured between 1.1.2017 - 6.8.2018 are subject to a recall due to faulty PCV valves (Positive Crankcase Ventillation). This can cause engine problems, losing power etc. Haven't noticed any problems with the performance as yet....

Greg

The wording is that the problem relates to certain Forrester, Impreza and XV models.

"It has been found that due to a possible engine control module error the engine may stall or cut out and fail to restart"

Potentially a dangerous situation if the engine cuts out and you are in the fast lane of a motorway.  I can speak from experience as I was using a Vauxhall Carlton many years ago which had a faulty safety fuel relay which cut out when I was in the fast lane of the M1!  It was a very scary moment for me and my three passengers but I managed to get the car to the hard shoulder. Unfortunately none of us had a change of trousers 🙂

@GGMan,

That certainly looks like the same issue and it seems likely if a car has the fault it cause a lot of damage to the ignition coil.  Interestingly the recall notice does not mention the possibility of the crankcase breather valve problem and mine XV is a 2018 model? Maybe only affects the US model?

Spoke to dealer today and car booked in for middle of December for:

SRT 282 – Positive crankcase ventilation valve replacement

SRT 283 – Flexible brake hose replacement

SRT 284 – Ignition coil inspection/reprogram

So I rang the dealer again to see if my XV should have the other two items checked/fixed.  The dealer checked (Adams Aylesbury) and they said it was not flagged on the system, as yet?  They added that they could pop up and that I might get another letter but that they would check on the day it goes in to see what applies.

From what they have said they have a lot of work currently be undertaken to apply various recalls.

I too have received the same letter as ernieb and the car is booked in for 7th December. The dealer checked the computer while I was booking it in and said that was the only recall applicable to my model. 2019 XV Premium Lineartronic. 

Mine was delivered to UK May 2018.  The dealer did say that there might be another letter with another recall notice, in fact that is what they thought I'd called about as the opening remark was "you got another letter"

Mines going into Subaru derby on the 17th,no mention of any other work than is specified on the recall.

Get to have a nose at the new hybrids that they have in stock too.

I'm waiting for the new levorg to come out most though as it will almost certainly be my next car,it looks fantastic.

I drove a XV hybrid last year.  It's only a mild hybrid so your not able to select a hybrid mode as the Battery is very small.  That said it was nice to drive and the Battery does add to the smoothness and improve the feel of the car, on a car that is already good.  I like some of the features, nearside door mirror mounted front facing camera which unfortunately did not make into the UK spec, shame.  When I looked at the UK spec/price at the dealers it did not seem to be good value, also the boot space gets very much smaller.

I'd really like a hybrid with a larger Battery and Toyota are releasing a number of cars which will also be available with a 4x4 option although the prices get steep very quickly.

It would be good if Subaru offered something with a bigger Battery but maintained the boot size.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, completed the check today and everything was OK, no parts needed but flashed the software. I was told they keep the computer outside the drivers door and connect via the OBD port. So minimal access to the car, car returned nice and clean.

Mine was only in for SRT 284, your's was in for the two other recalls I think you said and those need parts.  Do you have a date or is it the long wait for when the parts get delivered?

Going to be long wait I think.

Honda will be shutting down production due parts being stuck in ports, same for my TV that was ordered on black Friday.

Another pc part stuck in Germany, since the beginning of December.

So I'll guess it be 2021 before everything arrives.

Sorry to hear that, but I guess right now in the UK it's a perfect storm, Covide around the world on an increase, containers and trucks stuck in the wrong places and Brexit.  It's going to be a rough few months ahead but hopefully we'll come through all this and a better 2021.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had mine done

Break Pipes replaced

ECU reprogramed for engine coils*

And can't remember about the 3rd - think that was okay

*What I have notice, is performance difference. I accidentally got up to 80mphs and the revs maxed out, it did not change into higher gear. Unsure if car maxed out at 80 either, as only notice speed due engine screeching at high rpms and not changing for a while. 🤔

@GGMan

Glad you got it sorted finally.  The third is SRT 282 – Positive crankcase ventilation valve replacement.

Interesting comment on acceleration.  I'm a somewhat defensive driver and rarely us maximum acceleration, a firm right foot just seems to be a waste of good money under normal circumstances but occasionally it's needed. I've tried prior to the recall to use less than max acceleration and increase the pressure as the speed builds in an attempt to decrease the noise level associated with the CVT when the engine is max'd out.  Never worked as the engine always wanted to be gunned to get anywhere.  Fast forward post recall and this increasing the right foot acceleration following the speed works a treat with an acceptable increase in pace with a very much reduced amount of engine noise.  The engine revs build but don't need to max out, the torque and power look to peak earlier. I thought this was just me but you appear to indicate that something may have been changed in the way the engine is mapped so I'm happy that this for me is a benefit.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bit of a shift. I have a 2litre deisel xv lux premium. Has anyone had hose problems?. Years ago a hose split and caused the DpF light to start flashing that soon put the car into limp mode. Not realising the split hose it had various regens.  Hose replaced the computer still would,nt allow the light to go out until the dealer told the computer that a new DPF had been fitted. The day after the MOT this time the DPF again started flashing. Investigation found another split hose. This time much bigger and caused said the dealer by the  Mot over revving. I was told by the dealer that the hose found was probably the only only one in the country. When fitted I was told to give it a good long run at relatively high revs and the light would go our. It did,nt. It was put on diagnostics and light cleared. 300mtrs out of the garage they came back on. Took it back and had various sensors cleaned but when cleared soon came back on after a few hundred meters. Very soon I noticed that the MPG became much better and car drove without a fault other than the warning lights about the Dash. These by now were DPF (flashing) Engine management (permanent) Traction control (permanent) and cruise control ( fading on and off) . Before problem it was averaging 45/46mpg. Now it is 51/52 and that is with a fair bit of towing. 

Any ideas?.

• 1 year later...

Buongiorno, ho una XV diesel my 2016 e la valvola pcv è da sostituire. Il meccanico mi ha parlato di una valvola di plastica con un piccolo tubo. Fa un rumore brrrtttttt brrttttbrrrr e in un anno mi ha consumato 1 litro e mezzo di olio Motul 5w30. Subaru non mi ha scritto nessuna lettera, ma ho notato che durante una ispezione annuale, è stato sostituito interruttore luci stop senza dire niente. Si vede che quando c'è un richiamo, la officina Subaru fa il lavoro senza dire niente al cliente e così continua la peace of mind