Project light restore/tidy up of a UK classic turbo

ScoobyBlueClassic

On 1/30/2021 at 2:31 AM, nictriumph said:

heatcycle.....you see loads of driver get in the car turn key and floor the crap out it when it cold.boy racers are prone for it

you should let the car slowly warm up,try not to engage the turbo to boost...but you know what drivers are like

and how many after a drive let it tickover for cooling period to stop excessive heat build so it cools down evenly so it dont leave hot spots

• Like 2

4 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Up to v4 (early 98 ) the ecus aren't remappable without fitting a esl daughter board, so either that or a aftermarket ECU is needed to change ECU map parameters .

That v5/v6 ECU is remappable using just software (ecutek) but unfortunately it wont fit into a v3/v4, due to different ecu harness plugs and engine loom differences .

If you're after a cheaper alternative ,a stock ECU from a v3/v4 wrx would plug n play ,as long as the injectors are the same size /colour as your current v3/v4 uk . WRX's generally run the same engines and turbos as the uk counterparts of the same version but run a little more boost in the stock map (should see around 30 hp gain)

If you did decide to remap and kept everything "stock" youd probably see around 260hp with a increase in torque and responsiveness. 

You could always get a second hand v3/v4 remappable ECU and get it mapped but keep the stock ECU.  Then switch it back to stock or include it in the sale 😉

That’s brilliant, thanks a lot mate for the detailed response and ideas.   Honestly I’ve got no interest (currently) in having more power.  She’s an old girl and needs looking after 😉 

I’ve got this beast when I want to tear it up with the boy racers! Haha

B04EC43A-CC7A-459A-A4BB-487C0D424E15.jpeg

79D86CEE-415A-4D42-9431-0A79E1796AE1.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nictriumph said:

and how many after a drive let it tickover for cooling period to stop excessive heat build so it cools down evenly so it dont leave hot spots

Very few I imagine.  Previous owner was an old chap so don’t imagine it’s been through the wars but a lot of short journeys?   Going to take their toll on the engine probably more than longer ones.   Engine is being stripped now, photos to follow 

1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

I've got a 20t petrol a4,  lovely car but so easy to drive it's a bit boring. 

I'm sure your newer s3 is a lot quicker than my lardy a4 20t se but I find the impreza much more fun and engaging to drive 

It’s an S1 mate, quick audis tend to me boring but this one isn’t.  Surprisingly.   Anyway I don’t plan on pushing my scooby to the limit when it is all done!

• Like 1

I tend to sit an idle for a bit after a drive do tend to cruise the last few miles as well - learnt the hard way years ago with a 200sx that had an oil supply line routed around the engine as a consequence (even with me sitting for a while after a drive) oil crystallised in the line restricting flow and killing the turbos

• Like 1

8 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Gotta soft spot for old v dubs a mate of mine has a transverse swapped 500hp 1.8t in a mk2 golf syncro . And a self converted 3.3 turbo 4wd mk1 golf that's a absolute animal pic of the syncro .990175288_Pops20161206_090554.jpg.52f34bfafbe39dcbfa079b7badce8d66.jpg

Engine teardown is coming along nicely 😎

I’m loving the golf, I’m a v dub fan at heart.  Sorry for swearing on here 😂

• Haha 1

Things progressing along.  Sub frames are off being blasted and painted gloss black.  

Head is skimmed, new valve guides and been reseated.   Lot of carbon build up so needed to be acid bathed and soda blasted 

A few more pics.  New engine.  And some lower trailing arms that were a bit beyond their best

016DADE9-9DFE-41EB-A7C5-CC91D193CAFC.jpeg

BD95D2AB-B44C-493F-9D51-BE733FC9E754.jpeg

E6BFAF8D-D259-4303-8BCD-3B23D5C4D561.jpeg

838D1D9E-FC3B-4328-B3C2-32CB9E025F67.jpeg

B3A06E06-DD63-40EC-BAF0-F690EC86EA4E.jpeg

EC003868-9C92-4A43-ADFF-C57D7BBD3F34.jpeg

451732D0-51E9-4385-A582-A73D18137FBC.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along well with some nice progress in a relatively short time 😎

I bought some aftermarket uk turbo spec shocks from luke at import car parts but coupled them with elbaich pro springs . He might be able to source oe struts and springs though .

If not the elbaich pro springs lower a uk or wrx around 25mm to stock sti height , they're also progressive rate . So are forgiving for pot holes in a straight line but stiffen up under load in the twisties .

Failing that a few members have swapped stock suspension for pedders struts and springs . 

• Like 1

Thanks mate.  Managed to bag genuine classic shocks with about 200 miles on them off eBay.   Just need some standard ride height springs, I think KYB do/did them not sure who else.  Really want to try avoid going lower but the elbaich ones do sound decent and tempting.

I’m only just north of you on the southern Norfolk/suffolk border so you know what the roads are like 😉

You've got roads ?

I've got small bits of tarmac between the potholes 🙄😂

I'm fairly sure most standard classic shocks are kyb, not sure who make the springs though . Other than elbaich make the oe p1 springs, that suit the sti shock dampening rates really well .

There is a difference in rates/dampening between uk/wrx (same) and sti (stiffer /25mm lower) in the springs /shocks pending on model .

Think there's a few pics at the beginning of my build thread that show the "stance" of elbaich pro springs. Tbh they felt more forgiving in a straight line than stock but stopped the car wallowing in the corners (best of both worlds).

But they're not stock 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Savage I’ll take a look.  Roads out my way aren’t too bad for pot holes. Have a nice twisty B road as well a couple of miles away, it’s not snakes pass like but still it’s a bit of fun.  

I’ll watch your progress WK, good luck with it.  I’ve outsourced mine and so far the refresh/restore costs have nigh on doubled with the engine rebuild but it won’t need touching again - do it once, do it right - but still this car will owe me £15-18k (which would have brought a far more desirable model) ah well it was always about preserving something rather than making money at least in the short term ... 10+ years from now it might prove to be a cracking investment!! Or not!! Haha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 10:42 AM, nictriumph said:

nice going but hope more paint goes on,,,few bitz are missing paint in some areas

Yes mate will be fully sorted and sealed 

Had the dent man out today to remove the numerous little parking dings that 22 years of trolleys and careless folk cause!

E502D68A-7B8D-45D1-9920-41199B7868D1.jpeg

BD446466-45DC-415D-B64D-12CF110A8DE8.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Well it’s been a while and COVID got in the way of finances a bit but car is almost complete now and I’m infinitely poorer.   Car was MOT’d a couple of weeks ago (only advisory was loose Battery so located a NOS Battery clamp) however car wasn’t settled on idle and a bit too rough on boost - caused by the change in compression  with the new JDM short block and not being adjusted by using the right sized head gasket (now has a RCM .78mm gasket) which has annoyed me a little given I wanted to keep it original.   Anyway I was left with two choices do the engine again or a remap - link g4 was suggested but I’ve opted for a ESL daughter board just given it retains Subaru fault codes and safety bits.   Plus it comes in cheaper so win win for me but I know a lot really rate the g4.

I’ve reconciled my want to keep this stock by suggesting we aim for the PPP WR numbers of 240bhp and 260lb ft a bit lower in the rev range (3500 versus 214lb ft at 4000 on the UK turbo) which I suspect is what the Japanese WRX had anyway before the regs detuned them here so don’t expect that to put any stress on the stock parts by having to much torque available or a lot of torque available too low so it was always stressing the car.    Car can happily make more for sure.

Once the ESL fit and tune is done and I have it back here I’ll get some more pics up.