Subaru Servicing options.

Justin Time

11 hours ago, AndyLevorg said:

I have had a reply from Subaru UK regards my Levorg service intervals email to them. They say all petrol UK models are 12,000 miles or 12 months regardless of what the car handbook says. That will do for me as I now have it in writing from them. Happy with that.

Andy

Thanks for the update Andy.  12,000 miles keeps Subarus inline with most other car manufacturers in the UK, albeit that until recently most cars were 10K miles, like my older Skoda Yetis and Octavias (has the notion of variable service intervals been ditched nowadays?  You don't see it being advertised much anymore).

It does make me wonder though, if in the US/Canada the service intervals are much shorter, and in Europe too (at just over 9k miles), and I suppose that'll include the Republic of Ireland (?), why there is such variability, on the same vehicles.   It can't all be down to climate differences, with such closely neighbouring countries having such service mileage differences. Something doesn't seem right.  I'd read somewhere (I think it was on subaruoutback.org) that the oil viscosity regulations for servicing cars in the US require less viscose oils than the UK, and that explains the difference, but I can't fully believe that accounts for it.

Still, I'm very happy its 12K here - helps to save some pennies 🙂 .

On 7/8/2021 at 11:00 AM, Justin Time said:

Thanks for the update Andy.  12,000 miles keeps Subarus inline with most other car manufacturers in the UK, albeit that until recently most cars were 10K miles, like my older Skoda Yetis and Octavias (has the notion of variable service intervals been ditched nowadays?  You don't see it being advertised much anymore).

It does make me wonder though, if in the US/Canada the service intervals are much shorter, and in Europe too (at just over 9k miles), and I suppose that'll include the Republic of Ireland (?), why there is such variability, on the same vehicles.   It can't all be down to climate differences, with such closely neighbouring countries having such service mileage differences. Something doesn't seem right.  I'd read somewhere (I think it was on subaruoutback.org) that the oil viscosity regulations for servicing cars in the US require less viscose oils than the UK, and that explains the difference, but I can't fully believe that accounts for it.

Still, I'm very happy its 12K here - helps to save some pennies 🙂 .

Have a forester xt 2018, owned since feb this year. Coming up for 5k since 16k last service. Rang Subaru dealer who sold me car for oil and filter change - was told no need as oil and filter change is 10k or yearly!

1 hour ago, Richardw said:

Have a forester xt 2018, owned since feb this year. Coming up for 5k since 16k last service. Rang Subaru dealer who sold me car for oil and filter change - was told no need as oil and filter change is 10k or yearly!

Yeap, that would be correct (10K miles/12 months ) for a newer (2018+) turbocharged Subaru model according to the pages in my Service and Warranties Booklet and also for 3.0 and 3.6 litre models (see page 13 and 14, if you also have the booklet). It's the 'normally aspirated' 1.6, 2.0 and 2.5 engines that are 12K miles (in the UK, at least).

1 hour ago, Siluro said:

10K on same oil damn. I guess if you tow something etc that is reduced a fair bit?

I can see where you're coming from with that thought.  But Subaru do advertise the towing ability of their cars, and I've not read any small print caveats suggesting that towing within their specified weight limits requires any special/different treatments.

I always think it's best to email Subaru UK directly with these queries (isn't that what they're there for?) or if you contact a local dealer to put your query in writing too.  That way you always have a record of their answer/advice.   And, if they fail to reply in a reasonable period of time then that becomes a valid customer service issue to take up.  That always makes them sit-up and take you seriously (like all companies out there) as if its in black-and-white print you've got evidence 😉 .  To be fair, I'm new to Subaru and so far they've always got back to me, eventually, and I believe they are really trying to be No. 1 with customer care in the UK - or so they say in their car industry briefings!

22 hours ago, Justin Time said:

and I've not read any small print caveats suggesting that towing within their specified weight limits requires any special/different treatments.

I looked into this for towing a caravan with an impreza, Subaru do mention in their blurb about reducing the interval between transmission oil changes and the use of an oil cooler for auto boxes if towing regularly or for long distance

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jay762 said:

I looked into this for towing a caravan with an impreza, Subaru do mention in their blurb about reducing the interval between transmission oil changes and the use of an oil cooler for auto boxes if towing regularly or for long distance

My Levorg shows the CVT gearbox is sealed for life but does need regular oil changes if used for towing which is a pain but is what it is. Having a look it appears to have a transmission oil cooler fitted as standard. (At least it has a small radiator with two pipes going to the transmission which I presume is an oil cooler) It is a 2.0 non-turbo.

Andy

1 hour ago, AndyLevorg said:

My Levorg shows the CVT gearbox is sealed for life but does need regular oil changes if used for towing which is a pain but is what it is. Having a look it appears to have a transmission oil cooler fitted as standard. (At least it has a small radiator with two pipes going to the transmission which I presume is an oil cooler) It is a 2.0 non-turbo.

Andy

That sounds as if Subaru UK are being very contradictory.  TomGr7, of this parish, reported that Subaru UK / dealerships are refusing to do a CVT oil change, because the CVT is 'sealed for life'   https://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/27183-advice-needed-on-cvt/?tab=comments#comment-176531

But, if Andy's manual says a CVT oil change is needed for his Levorg for towing!!!! How best to sort this?  Anyone from Subaru UK reading this? We'd appreciate some clarity, please.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyLevorg said:

Having a look it appears to have a transmission oil cooler fitted as standard. (At least it has a small radiator with two pipes going to the transmission which I presume is an oil cooler) It is a 2.0 non-turbo.

Yes that sounds like a transmission oil cooler

• Like 1

There is a transmission cooler on my 1.6 Levorg in front of the radiator. I tow, and had Simpsons Subaru in Swindon change the CVT oil last service, along with the diffs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flat6 said:

There is a transmission cooler on my 1.6 Levorg in front of the radiator. I tow, and had Simpsons Subaru in Swindon change the CVT oil last service, along with the diffs.

What was the cost for the oil change?

Thanks

2 hours ago, flat6 said:

That's good to know. So, if Subaru will change the CVT oil for a vehicle that tows, I can't see why they wouldn't simply in good faith change the oil, on demand, for any owner who just diligently wants to ensure (and have the reassurance of) the longevity of their vehicle's transmission.  Nothing lasts forever and the notion of 'sealed for life' raises issues of what 'life' actually means, and to whom.  We do own the vehicles afterall 😄 !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyLevorg said:

Thanks

For my 2.0 na auto box i spent £70 on oil - used castrol ATF auto gearbox oil from Opie Oils and flushed through myself. It may not be a direct comparison but possibly a point of reference.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AndyLevorg said:

I've just realised It was actually done by  Keith Price Garages in Abergavenny, Simpsons did some warranty work (new steering rack). It was done as part of the 3 year/30k service. It's due in for it's annual service in a couple of weeks - I'll ask them for a breakdown and further clarification.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, flat6 said:

I've just realised It was actually done by  Keith Price Garages in Abergavenny, Simpsons did some warranty work (new steering rack). It was done as part of the 3 year/30k service. It's due in for it's annual service in a couple of weeks - I'll ask them for a breakdown and further clarification.

OK, many thanks