whats the stock turbo for 1997 subaru impreza wrx

kevstep0

a mate of mine has a uk classic 99 plate with a vf22, my uk 97 has a td04 and i think the td05 is the import sti one, i was always of the belief that the vf was the same as the td but an after market buy as a replacement

Stolen from else where on the interwebs.

'Ok gonna clarify 96 did NOT use a VF 22 till after September when the Ver 3 came out with the EJ20k. The Version 2 still had a TD05Turbo and the only difference really between it and a Reg WRX was the ECU. To top it off the WRX came with the 22 while the STi came with the 23 hence alot of STi whooping going on. Also NO GC8 came with a TD04 the GFs did but not the GCs'

• Like 2

a point of note - I will find the reference with more detail but I have put it somewhere safe ... :rolleyes: (I know its in another thread on here when a similar question was asked along the lines of "been offered a TD05 do I buy it??"

The TD04 refers to one half of the turbo and would normally be followed by some further letters and numbers which identify the second part of the turbo build for example we have TD04's across many subaru models but the difference is in second part which sorts size and type of vanes / impellar which vary in size and shape giving different boost properties so the Fossie gets lots of nice low down grunt and the Impreza gets more up top.

Am i right in thinking there should be a build plaque on the side of the trubo somewhere denoting what it is ?

I dunno what i've got in regards to the last letters no low down grunt for me mine starts to build around 2.7k then goes mental around 3-4k.

Under normal town driving it never boosts. Only when driving like an idiot or over 80 on the m/way

:-D

ok so after realising I had kicked over a rock - probably much as you did yourself from google - I am now pretty sure the standard turbo on the 1997 WRX (not STI) was a TD04-13T

the WRX STI had a TD05H - 16G

I now need to find a way to collate all the info I have found into something that is manageable :wacko:

I'm fairly sure the version 1 &2 wrx's and sti's ran a tdo5 16 g (power difference was created by the map and intercooler flowing better ) im unsure what the early uk's run but my v3 uk came with a tdo4 as standard.

vf series turbos came in on version 3 and above sti's.

Where as the v3 and above uk turbo's and (i think also) wrx's ran tdo4's .

I do know the main differences between the vf's and tdo series though.

Tdo series are a journal based turbo's ( basically shaft through the middle which is lubed with oil by centralfrugal force ) they can take more abuse and can be easily rebuilt .

Where as the vf series have roller bearings which spool slightly quicker but don't tend to handle to much abuse and can't be rebuilt (as easily)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...