Virgin Media - Any Good

mfnick

Still not got my Brodband/phone line sorted and found during this time Sky's customer service is absolutely shocking. So now thinking of switching.

Are any of you with Virgin? Are they any goo and would you recommend them? Have you had to deal with customer services and were they any good?

Cheers :)

For me the customer service is the same as Sky shocking at best but I think all of them are the same in that respect. But I think Vermin Media are leading in the UK with Broadband they are by far the best to have for speed and reliability with it all being underground fiber optic. I would have it if I could get it in my area but live in the stigs so BT was really my only choice :( 

If you can get fibre optic through virgin then go for it. I've got a couple of techy mates that swear by it.

if you cant get fibre optic to your door, then possibly look towards BT infinity.

One thing i would do, is make sure that you don't have a download limit.

I can get Fibre optic but not been that bothered to be honest. It's been fast enough for me as is so that's not a major thing for me.

Thing with sky is I can't ring them because it's a 50p a minute line in mobile and the live chat doesn't work on my phone browser. So ive had to email them. It took 48hours for them to reply and then it was only to ask me a security question and now I could be waiting up to another 72 hours for another reply. Already waited 6 hours. Un-!Removed!-believable!

Are Virgin at least easier to actually get in touch with? I've noticed they've got a 0800 number to ring them so that's already a massive bonus.

looking at moving to virgin at the moment to combine tv broadband and phone cut some costs however after browsing the web it appears the call to disconnect Sky TV is going to be a messy one  :wacko:

yeah Virgin is great for Broadband but **** for everything else.

Jay I can supply you the Full Sky HD Package for £25 per month for 25 months. Canel the account you have now and resign up in the a differnet name, Ie the missus.

Sky are upgrading to Fibre as we speak, so give it time and Sky will have a minimum of 20mg Fibre nationwide.

Ill 2nd pete

Virgin great broadband rubbish tv. Had sky for 10 years and virging for internet. Now moved, can only get virgin.

The tivo box winds me up, sky is so much eaiser to use and the tivo remote has far to many buttons. Simple things you can do with sky remote require a degree in thinking outside the box for the tivo one grrr it's a pet hate i find myself not watching tv cos i can't be arsed fighting with the remote. Plus i don't have skysports anymore so not much on the virgin 'm' package. And i'm not paying £25 quid a month extra just so i can watch F1.

Virgin technical help used to be a premium rate number that you got the cost of the call refunded on your next bill if the problem was thier fault. If you don't have the phone package.

Rant over !

had adsl before what is fine as long you live close to the BT exchange

swiched to virgin media as our next home was too far from the BT exchange giving too many drops and bad speeds

customer service from virgin media is shocking as the rest of the scumbags and their forum is even worse!

but the good news is they have shops and there you can speak with real people to sort out your issues. if not, you can always modify the building a bit to make your point clear :o

at 19/2/2014 we are getting again virgin media broadband as they messed u my mobile phone stuff and got some discount on the broadband as goodwill B)

virgin media 'superhub' is ****!

online gaming is !Removed!, so laggy it's stupid

i bet that the virgin media engineers don't even know what network latency is :o

when i was network / security admin at Codemasters on-line this was one of the things i kept an eye on as very important for gamers...

problem with virgin media and most other ISP is they filter all their network traffic with crap boxes like Blue Coat / Barracuda etc

the times of free Internet is already gone i'm afraid :(

ive never had a problem with Virgin's engineers always friendly but it is usually the same bloke from the Blueyonder days, i would say this is going to be a scooby Vs Evo style rant whereby everyone has got there own preference, personally the tivo box is a little bit harder to get used to than skys but the perks are alot better i.e more HD channels, as for Virgin's internet been laggy, mine runs the nexus with 2 laptops 3 mobiles and my PS4 and ive never had any lag whats so ever. 

I've always said Sky does great Tv leads the way really with the HD channels but for that I hate it because of the monopoly they have, likes of F1 Football rights and so on. Vermin Media when I was with them do great Broadband I had no problems with it, was fast downloads and uploads speed. Sky only use BT's lines anyway. For me the best one just to have internet with would be Vermin Media

Had Virgin Fibre optic for 4 years in 3 different houses, 1 in Sheffield and the last 2 in Bradford, 10Mps in Sheffield and then 30Mbps in Bradford, no problems and very quick in Sheffield, and then nothing but problems in Bradford, slow internet speed (0.06Mbps) isn't uncommon, and laggy as hell when working making gaming of any kind hard. Customer service is rubbish with Virgin media. Dealt with sky for my parents and found them ok. Only reason for using Virgin is the deal we have with them so it is very cheap. Hopefully try another provider soon as I am sick of the inconsistency.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss!!!!!

I'm back online! After chasing them up over the weekend a few times, I came home to see engineers on street doing some work today and now im back up and running!

I'm quite worried how dependant I am in the internet these days now though. That week+ was horrible! Some people find it freeing, it just destroyed me though, didn't know what to do with myself and even paying stuff off was a huge pain in the !Removed! without the inter webs.

Still !Removed! off with the service and how difficult it is to get in touch with anyone. But looking at the replies on how Virgin are, I don't think its worth moving. Might just complain and see if I can at least get a discount for a while.

• Like 1