Need help please

hilli182

This morning my car (2000 turbo) cut out on dual carriage way which was handy ....... not

As some of you may have read before I've have the judder / stutter problems recently, this morning this happened again but this time the engine just cut out. Engine light came on along with oil and Battery light.

I pulled over, shut it off and started up again and carried on, had a couple of stutters but no lights or anything

I've just followed this guide http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/SubaruTroubleCodeDefinitions and come up with fault code 22.

This is apparently "knock sensor"

Can anybody point me in the direction of where this is, what it is and what could be wrong with it?

Thanks in advance. 

Never had knock myself mate but from what I know about it you will know it when you get it. Did you change your plugs, leads and check coils? (Can't remember if you said in the other post)

Could be a faulty sensor by the sounds so worth checking that out. Hopefully someone with some more knowledge will be along shortly.

they just seem to think they own and run everything to do with imprezas lol and judge everyone else's

Exactly why myself and many others don't use it. I have a few people on there that I keep in contact and I will pop on for a browse but thats it. It's a shame it's only really just a majority of the members but from speaking with other Scoobie owners their not doing it's reputation any good :( 

And cheers Martin appreciate the help mate :)

Never know a knock sensor cause the vehicle to splutter and cut out they only detect engine det and advance or !Removed! timing , check fuel pump or maf sensor mate cheers martin

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

thanks martin

I just went with the error code and what i read so thought I'd start at the source, what ever it is, its temperamental because I've just been out in it and no problems. I've got a new knock sensor to fit anyways as they are only cheap.

What do you think i should look out for with the maf and fuel pump? would a cone filter  affect anything that i have going on?

Not often you get a garage handing out mechanical know how without charging for it so it is very much appreciated thankyou

What type of cone filter are u running , maf sensors are very common on version 5 and can cause erratic idle wont rev above 4500 rpm , holding back , I had one that when u put vehicle under load fuel pump was weak and caused it to misfire and hold back as well , is it noisy and can u here it prime after it cuts out when putting ignition on , are u running a dump valve ??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It cut out and holds back sometimes at around 4500 tom so sounds similar. Pardon the daft question but what do you mean by hear it prime? It's only cut out once. Other than that it just feels juddery/ stuttering occasionally

The car has a k&n "type" cone filter. Blitz bov. Decat down pipe and magnex back box. Other than that it's standard

the other symptom i've just noticed / remembered is sometimes when steadily going through the revs, at around 2500 rpm its like it is hesitating / stuttering, usually it will just pull through this and carry on as normal. 

i will have a look at maf sensor later on see if theres anything wrong with it, if that was faulty would it throw up fault code 22 for the knock though? thats the only thing throwing me if it is the maf or fuel pump etc  :unsure:

Update

I already had the new sensor before you gave advice Martin so I fitted it but no change like you said so that rules that out

I decided to reinstall the original air filter housing rather than the cone last night and so far seems smoother so see how long that lasts. If that doesn't work I will try the vacuum pipe you mentioned.