Your car recommendations?

paulngui

Hey folks, sorry for the novel but I write this to call on your local knowledge and advice on what car you would recommend.

The situation:

I've moved over to the UK and have left my Subbie at home, as I don't plan on staying here forever.  I'm in the process of looking for work, and would like to start thinking about what car I should get; should I end up needing to get one.

What I'm looking for:

I'll likely have to do some degree of commuting, depending on where I find work and where I end up staying; so I'll want something that's known to be able to handle the miles and won't crap out on me. Especially as I'll be targeting something cheap and therefore probably will have done a few miles already.

Perhaps more important than being cheap to buy however, I want it to be cheap to run - in terms of fuel, cost to insure, reliability, and cost to replace parts.  Also don't want it to be stupidly uncomfortable on a road tip.

I was thinking something smallish (but not tiny!), like:

• VW Polo or Golf
  • Peugeot 306, 206, 307
  • Ford Fiesta, Focus
  • Vauxhall Corsa
  • Audi A3
  • Renault Clio
  • Countless Japanese options

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.  I'm personally keen on a European option just cos these tend to be more costly to own back home, but don't let this be an influence.  Cheers!

Loved the Ford focus I liked them that much I've had 2 and an ST170 ;)

Can't go wrong with a Golf or look at the Seat Leon they have the Golf engine in them. 

I wouldn't have an Audi A3 not even i someone gave me it for free  :lol:

I had a Toyota starlet before they are cheap cheap cheap. Its like driving round in a bee lol nippy for what it is and never missed a beat. Very small though so out of your options id go golf tdi

Golf or focus are the best of that bunch if you want European. Handling is superb in both with plenty of room inside and reliable if they have sensible miles on the clock.

If you need economy, the golf tdi is the one to go for.

Great advice guys, thanks :)  Yeah I thought diesel might be the way to go for good fuel economy.  I've never owned a diesel - would a diesel Golf be much more to fix if something breaks than say some other petrol powered equivalent?  Are they just as reliable?  The general view from what I've heard suggests they would be.

Stay away from anything french ! Guaranteed that most of the interior trim will squeak or snap off. Parts seemed to be double the cost of the ford/gm option's and I hated both laugua's I had lol. Really heavy clutch in that and the clio. Not the best for sitting traffic.

What kind of budget do you have ?

Tdi golf with a remap and dpf removal, end up with a rapid car. Much nicer inside that everything else on the list but still command good money.

Like gambit said go for the other vag cars. Either the seat or maybe a diesel skoda octavia or fabia.

Cheaper to run insure but reliable

Not owned a Golf but would have thought parts would be easy enough to buy cheap, and they're highly moddable if you want to get into that with it too :)

Never really been a fan of the Vauxhall Disaster I had a 06 plate 1.6 for a short time didn't really do much for me. 

Yeah I'd consider an Astra.  Not really interested in spending more than I need to, so perhaps something around the 1-1.5k mark?  And def won't be getting into any modding, I'll reserve that for my Legacy back home :D

What don't you like about the A3 Gambit?

At a guess......Audi lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep as said above arsehole cars :D But they also have one of the worst breakdown rates of any other car on the road last year.

I have an astra solid car however i would recommend a golf something with high mileage but a motorway car ie good interior condition etc FSH and it will go on forever my mates old Toledo did 230k before they let it die. Plenty to choose from as well so be as picky as you like and definitely avoid a modded one

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, sorry for the novel but I write this to call on your local knowledge and advice on what car you would recommend.

The situation:

I've moved over to the UK and have left my Subbie at home, as I don't plan on staying here forever.  I'm in the process of looking for work, and would like to start thinking about what car I should get; should I end up needing to get one.

What I'm looking for:

I'll likely have to do some degree of commuting, depending on where I find work and where I end up staying; so I'll want something that's known to be able to handle the miles and won't crap out on me. Especially as I'll be targeting something cheap and therefore probably will have done a few miles already.

Perhaps more important than being cheap to buy however, I want it to be cheap to run - in terms of fuel, cost to insure, reliability, and cost to replace parts.  Also don't want it to be stupidly uncomfortable on a road tip.

I was thinking something smallish (but not tiny!), like:

• VW Polo or Golf
  • Peugeot 306, 206, 307
  • Ford Fiesta, Focus
  • Vauxhall Corsa
  • Audi A3
  • Renault Clio
  • Countless Japanese options

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.  I'm personally keen on a European option just cos these tend to be more costly to own back home, but don't let this be an influence.  Cheers!

BUY A USED SCOOBY.

Mine costed me 1200 Pounds... and is a Wrx 1997 special edition... xD

Ive had french, wouldnt recommend, i still have my 1.0 corsa b and its a trooper, not bad space inside, not quick but some poke, and i get about 60mpg from it costs nothing to run, easy to fix because there is barely anything under the bonnet, and parts cost naff all, gumtree eBay or a local scrappy, id recommend new parts if youre paying for labour;

but on the other hand ive also had an FR Ibiza which apart from having a blown engine... was a decent car, made of **** plastic and rattles like !Removed! so i dont recommend an FR maybe a nice 1.2 or something and you'll get a more comfortable ride, the diesels do very well on fuel but aare a little more to insure, the car in general is cheap on insurance because theyre safe, but a little more on parts and labour.

my two cents anyways

Me personally, I'd stay stay away from Fiesta, Polo, Corsa, Clio as they are all far too girlie/grandma

If you want cheap then Focus. If you want more a little more European, more expensive but on the dull side then Golf or A3....and if you want a smile on your face then Scoobie [emoji3]

• Like 1